RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   OS ESC & Hacker 14XS compatibility?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/11487239-os-esc-hacker-14xs-compatibility.html)

Ryans Rebel 04-21-2013 04:22 PM

OS ESC & Hacker 14XS compatibility??

Hey guys. Long time IMAC guy here trying to get his feet wet in Pattern. Long story short. Out at the field today to maiden my ship and can't seem to get the motor to act properly. I get a grinding noise at about 1/3 throttle. That grinding noise turns into screeching at about 2/3 throttle. I understand that the ESC may need adjusting. I tried 14, 18, 20, 21, 23, & 24 degrees advanced timing. I tried brake on and off. I tried reversing the motor. I tried different battery packs. I even removed the rear mount to be sure there was no hang up there. Nothing made a real difference.

I'm using a Hacker Q80, 14XS and an OS 100 amp ESC.

Anyone have the silver bullet I'm looking for??

Ryan

OhD 04-21-2013 09:25 PM

RE: OS ESC & Hacker 14XS compatibility??

ORIGINAL: Ryans Rebel

Hey guys. Long time IMAC guy here trying to get his feet wet in Pattern. Long story short. Out at the field today to maiden my ship and can't seem to get the motor to act properly. I get a grinding noise at about 1/3 throttle. That grinding noise turns into screeching at about 2/3 throttle. I understand that the ESC may need adjusting. I tried 14, 18, 20, 21, 23, & 24 degrees advanced timing. I tried brake on and off. I tried reversing the motor. I tried different battery packs. I even removed the rear mount to be sure there was no hang up there. Nothing made a real difference.

I'm using a Hacker 14XS and an OS 100 amp ESC.

Anyone have the silver bullet I'm looking for??

Ryan
I assume you are talking about the Hacker C-50. This is a two pole in runner and needs a timing of zero to plus 2.

Jim O

Ryans Rebel 04-22-2013 05:07 AM

Sorry. The motor is a Q80, 14 XS.

Ryan

Silent-AV8R 04-22-2013 05:41 AM

Hey Ryan,

Darwin did the maiden on his Vanquish yesterday with the Q60/ESC. He had a similar situation. A couple of people at our field said that they had similar issues before with Hacker outrunners that turned out to be an problem with the connectors between the motor and ESC. Something about flux getting on the bullet and causing a poor connection. Darwin plans to do soe checking on his to see if that is his issue. We have a few guys flying the same motor/ESC with zero issues, so go figure!

Bill

Chris Moon 04-22-2013 05:42 AM

It is definitely either a timing issue or a connector problem. The Q80 should run at 24 degrees on most controllers except Castle where they should be set at "low" or "outrunner". It could also be a bad ESC.

jarvis johnson 04-22-2013 05:56 AM

He y guys, the OS esc, will no work with the Q 80 14 xs, you will need to get a Spin 99, or HV 80, I'm having the same problem with the Q-60.

Silent-AV8R 04-22-2013 05:58 AM

Oops. Not watching my Ps and Qs!!

RC_Pattern_Flyer 04-22-2013 08:50 AM

Ryan has q80.

Ryans Rebel 04-22-2013 09:52 AM

Update:

I spoke with Hacker this morning, and they seem to believe the OS ESC may be causing the issue. The two may not be compatible. Both great products, but the two may not work well together.

The OS ESC has a non-adjustable PWM frequency of 32khz. The Q80 28 pole motors require 8 khz. Some of the earlier Q80s were 20 pole motors. Perhaps that is why some have success with the OS ESC/Q80 combo?

I still have a few things to check on the motor to be sure that is not the source of the problem, including trying a Castle ESC.

I'm waiting on some feedback from Hobbico/O.S. too.

Ryan

mola 04-22-2013 09:56 AM

Hi,

I agree, I just had the same experience this weekend. It seems like the OS ESC looses the timing of the Q80-14XS at approx. 1/3 throttle and above. Fitted a Spin 99 and everything seems to be working fine. It is too bad really because I think the OS ESC has a smoother start-up than the Jeti and I like the ease of programming as well as the nice F3A braking function. Maybe I can use the OS on my Pletti Advance instead, it seems people are reporting positive things about that combination.

rcpattern 04-22-2013 10:36 AM

Ryan,

I know it works with the Castle series set at 8khz. I've been flying that for the last month or so. Works great with the Castle stuff, but it did take some playing to figure that out,

Arch

Ryans Rebel 04-22-2013 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Ryan,

I know it works with the Castle series set at 8khz. I've been flying that for the last month or so. Works great with the Castle stuff, but it did take some playing to figure that out,

Arch

Hey man. It has been a while! I hope you have been doing well. Thanks for the info. I will be trying a Castle 80 amp tomorrow and see how it goes.

Ryan

Silent-AV8R 04-22-2013 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: mola
Maybe I can use the OS on my Pletti Advance instead, it seems people are reporting positive things about that combination.
I'm using the OS ESC with the Advance motor, as is a friend of mine. Works great.

jarvis johnson 04-22-2013 06:57 PM

Hacker told me the same thing, about the flux getting on the bullets plug, after they serviced it I still had the same problem, a friend from japan stated a year ago that they had the same problem
with the hacker motors and the OS esc, so they went back to using the Spin 99. ,I switch out the OS for a CC 85, problem fixed. The OS, will work with the hacker 20 pole motor. once Darwin, change of to the CC esc, the problem will go away, so I hope that help.

Silent-AV8R 04-22-2013 08:24 PM

I gave Darwin the Hacker ESC (90-amp Master Spin Opto) along with the programming box. He is going to swap out the O.S for the Master Spin. I'm certain that will cure his issues as well.

Gwestenburg 04-23-2013 09:33 AM

MOUNT A PEG AT THE WING TIP AND THROW IT. ALWAY WORKED IN THE PAST.

Ryans Rebel 04-23-2013 11:17 AM

Well guys. I confirmed that the OS ESC has a non-adjustable PWM frequency. Therefore, the two (Q80 14XS) are not compatible with one another. Certainly, the OS could be used with other motor types, as previously mentioned by others in this thread.

Ordering a Spin 99.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Ryan

Silent-AV8R 04-23-2013 12:31 PM

Here's what my friend in AZ was told today:

Subject: RE: Hacker Q60
Date: April 23, 2013 12:32:52 PM MST

Typically, the knocking sound isn't a mechanical noise, but actually a
commutation issue between the motor and the ESC.

The problem I mentioned to you before has actually been confirmed by OS
Japan. They say that due to their fixed 32khz switching rate on their
ESC's - they will not work properly with 28 pole motors (Like the Q
series from Hacker).

Best Regards,
Mike Donovan
Manager, Aero-Model / Hacker Brushless USA

Ryans Rebel 04-26-2013 07:34 AM

For sale now....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=913746

RV7guy 04-26-2013 01:46 PM

Just an update on things with my Vanquish, Q60 Hacker and OS speed controller. First, as a man and unwilling to give up my "Man Card," I did not read the instructions to the Hacker. I proceeded to cut the wires to make them more manageable. Well, I couldn't get them to tin. I used some industrial strength flux and 400C and they tinned up fine. Added the connectors soak them in alcohol to remove any flux residue and proceeded on. Got everything set up and working fine.

Later, just for boredom purposes, I pulled up the instructions and noticed, "do not cut the wires......" Well, Mike Foxtrot. I sent an email to Mike Donovan to see if I screwed the pooch. He said it was possible but try it and see. As noted in earlier posts I ran into the issues others have suffered. It all has to do with the switching rate. Hacker needs 8 and the OS is fixed at 32. I suspect this will be changed before too long.

I installed the Hacker/Jeti ESC and got it all programmed. I will probably fly it tomorrow and will report back.

Utterdinat, the Vanquish flew great. I ordered some Gator incidence adjusters and some quick release canopy deals that I'll retrofit. Looking forward to get it all dialed in.

Ryan, I've got to go to Lafayette in July for Recurrent training at PHI. Maybe we could do some flying. Let me know and I'll come in a day early.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba

Silent-AV8R 04-26-2013 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: RV7guy

Ryan, I've got to go to Lafayette in July for Recurrent training at PHI. Maybe we could do some flying. Let me know and I'll come in a day early.

Y'all can pinch tail and suck head!! Have some for me!! Mudbugs is good eatin'!! Too bad you can't have some VooDoo Lager to wash them down!!

Ryans Rebel 04-29-2013 06:07 AM

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba

Darwin,

That might work. Let me know the dates as we get closer and I'll check my schedule. July is filling up fast with my wife & kids out of school for the summer!

I'm Glad your Vanquish is up and running.

Ryan

Ryans Rebel 04-29-2013 06:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Y'all can pinch tail and suck head!! Have some for me!! Mudbugs is good eatin'!! Too bad you can't have some VooDoo Lager to wash them down!!

We boiled a sack at my house Saturday night. Damn they were good!

Ryan

griff7166 04-29-2013 07:14 PM

I when thru the same issue a bout 2 months ago . the OS ESC will not work with the Q80 14. its the feq at 32 MHZ it is all wrong . I had to switch to a Jette 99. and it fixed my problems. I have been told that os is fixing the problem .