RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   E-flight Power 90 question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/11556566-e-flight-power-90-question.html)

rodney tanner 06-29-2013 07:24 AM

E-flight Power 90 question

1 Attachment(s)

I have ground run the Power 90 (8c setup on a 17x10 APC prop) 10 ten times and the performance is
excellent. I am aware that this setup at the limit of the specs and will produce high (60c) case temp and have
ducted the front intake to offset this.

I have noticed that one of the magnets seems to have shifted (see attached pic above the power 90 sicker) or
perhaps I just had´nt noticed it when I purchased it. With the slight play on the shaft the magnet will rub on the rear casing
when the shaft is pressed rearwards. However, it does not appear to rub when the motor is running.
I have noticed that the product shots on the box appear to have a piece of metal at that position.
So is this an intended part of the design?

Walt Thyng 06-29-2013 11:15 AM

RE: E-flight Power 90 question

I'd pull the motor apart and reposition the magnet, then smear the whole can with J&B weld. work it into the slots and then wipe the magnet surfaces clean. I routinely do this with Turnigy motors as I have had magnets come loose on several.
Walt

rodney tanner 06-29-2013 07:26 PM

Thanks Walt.
I managed to tap the magnet back into place without stripping it down.
I ran up the motor and it seems to be holding for now. If not I have plenty of JB Weld
handy for your Turnigy remedy!
I had heard the e-flight motors were of higher quality and pretty indestructible.
We shall see.
Thanks again.

Walt Thyng 06-30-2013 08:33 AM

The problem with just tapping the magnet back in place is that it might move again and has the potential to destroy the motor.

I run several E-flite motors and find them generally pretty good except for the P-25. I've had two in flight shaft breaks. I actually keep a spare shaft on hand.
Walt

rodney tanner 06-30-2013 09:22 AM

Walt. Good advice. Thanks

Walt Thyng 06-30-2013 07:10 PM

If there's one thing I've learned with electrics it's that Murphy's Law is squared!

rodney tanner 07-01-2013 08:11 AM

Walt:
Count me in on that!

This is my first e-pattern project and I am still on the learning curve.
I have been ground running the P-90 set up to get all the bugs out before
I fly the thing. Turns out that was a good decision. Here are the some of the
Murphy points I have encountered:
- Castle Ice HV 80 V2 ESC packed up after 1 run (sending it back to Castle to get it sorted out). It appears there is a compatability issue with some EF Power motors.
- Two HK battery adapters crapped out on arming for start up.
- and the P-90 loose magnet motor issues we been discussing here.

The Zippy Compact 8c packs have done 4 cycles with no issues.
The Sentilon100a backup ESC is working fine, apart from a compatability issue with my Futaba Tx on throttle curves.

However, the P-90 (17x10 APC) on this setup produces good power (1900+ watts) so I am sure it will
fly the Desire just fine for the Advanced schedule. Providing Murphy gives me a break!!