RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Electric Motor Test Stand (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/4602026-electric-motor-test-stand.html)

KeithB 08-09-2006 12:01 PM

Electric Motor Test Stand

I want to build a test stand for electric motors. Initially it will be used for a C50 Hacker, but if possible I’d like to make it usable for out-runners too.

I’m just in the idea stage at this point so I thought I’d see if anyone else has done this or has any clever design ideas.

If you’ve already built one I’d love to see your pictures!

Thanks,
Keith B

Mike Wiz 08-09-2006 01:11 PM

RE: Electric Motor Test Stand

Here is a thread on RCG for a smaller electric motor test stand. I assume a larger version of the same thing would work for you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421578

EHFAI 08-09-2006 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Keith

Somewhat depends on what the measuring criteria are. Here's some pics of mine which provides a secure Hacker C50 motor mounting as well as peripheral equipment. The support equipment includes an ESC, receiver, rec batt, motor batts, and a datalogger (the small batt on the datalogger is for airborne use). The motor prop hub is fitted with magnets for the speed sensor.

This provides a solid platform to easily measure current / volts / rpm with different props / motors. The real time feature of the datalogger provides "live" data on a laptop and the ability to graphically display measured parameters. For instance, makes it easy to tailor a throttle curve if rpm and throttle position are presented graphically. Likewise - wattage with different props is useful. I've also measured voltage drops across various wire sizes while the motor was at maximum output.

Of course the numbers obtained on a stand are comparative but might differ a bit from those experienced in the air.[:@]

Adamg-RCU 08-09-2006 06:08 PM

Here's a tip: Ensure everything within 10 feet is bolted/restrained in place (unless it has the density of steel).

KeithB 08-10-2006 03:15 AM

Thanks for the input. I worked on putting something together last night. I'll send pics when I'm done.

Keith

manu2604 08-22-2006 12:13 AM

Hi Keith,

I just saw your post and noticed that you live in Garland TX. I live in Garland too and just moved to this area. I used to fly pattern with a YS 140 and I am considering taking the electric path. Where do you fly? are there any other guys in the Dallas area that fly electric pattern too? (sorry for getting out of the topic)

Thanks,

Manuel

KeithB 08-22-2006 03:50 AM

Manuel,

I fly mostly at Richardson Radio Control Club. The field is out by lake Lavon, about 25 minutes from where I live. You can look it up on the web at www.rrcc.com.

I'm also a member of the North Dallas Radio Control Club. They have an awesome site, but it's about a 45-50 minute one way trip for me so I don't fly there as often unless I'm meeting someone out there.

No one else in this area is flying electric yet, but there are numerous pattern fliers around here.

We should get together and go fly soon.

BTW, there's a contest several of us are going to in Lubbock this coming weekend, it would be great to have you go too.

Drop me a PM with your contact info and we'll get in touch and go fly'in!

Keith B

KeithB 08-23-2006 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I built my test stand and, as promised, I’m finally getting around to posting some pictures.

The stand is extremely simple, built out of about $10 of cheap plywood from the hardware store and glued together with polyurethane glue.

The only expensive part is the electric Budd Mount ($35). I could have cut my own mount out of wood or aluminum, but since I had the Budd mount lying around I used it instead… much easier! This particular Budd mount is the one that will work with the Hacker, Axi, & Plettenberg.

The huge ugly hunk of foam on the top is used to direct air down over and around the motor. I was concerned that the front plate would block air for cooling. I have a miniature version of this foam ducting inside my plane coming from one of the cheek cowls and it’s extremely effective. I got the idea from Earl, user EHFAI.

Since I wanted a more generic mount I didn’t build a permanent rear support for the motor, instead I just built a little support that could be Velcroed onto any motor. This worked fine for the tests.

If you look closely at the front view you’ll see a dowel glued to the front of the stand. This is where I attach my RPM sensor; though I had removed it by the time I took the pictures.

Keith B