RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Sebart Wind 110 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/7905478-sebart-wind-110-a.html)

Bill Clark 05-07-2012 04:40 PM

RE: Sebart Wind 110

its sprayed on the outside. please do copy it.

UltraBob 05-07-2012 05:05 PM

That's really cool Bill.....gives the airplane a whole different look....
Kind of reminds me of how Ted White used to do his canopies....like on "El Gringo".....

Great job!

Bob

lablover 05-08-2012 04:02 AM

Question for you 110 owners. The one I just bought off a friend has the pull pull cables running under the Horiz stab and then to the rudder lower end. The manual shows it mounted above the horiz stab and higher up the rudder. Is this going to cause any issues? I'm sure I can re-work it but not sure if I should. The rudder seems smooth enough etc.

Thanks

UltraBob 05-08-2012 04:24 AM

I have my rudder servo mounted in the tail with a pushrod that goes to a horn mounted in the bottom of the rudder and it works just fine. I don't think you'll have any issues at all.....

Bob

Bill Clark 05-08-2012 07:28 AM

Lab, I think thats how it was designed originally. the reason I say that is because the rudder servo tray is pointed down hill and there is a factory slot in the bottom of the rudder. who knows why it was changed

Velco 05-08-2012 08:36 AM

With the rudder servo in the back a correct CG can be achieved even on 10S without adding any lead. I know because I had to ad some 60g of lead at the back to balance the plane correctly. I will move the servo back very soon.</p>

</p>

Velco</p>

UltraBob 05-08-2012 08:50 AM

Getting the CG far enough aft seemed to be a common theme in this thread so that's why I mounted mine back there as well. I'm running 8S and it balanced easily...

Bob

lablover 05-08-2012 03:41 PM

Funny, just checked the CG and I need 1.5 OZ in the tail to get her level. Where is the rudder servo mounted in the back? I assume in one of the elevator servo slots?

Jetdesign 05-08-2012 04:49 PM

I've been flying with a pretty forward CG I guess - it balances on the spot suggested in the manual, but really noses down w/o elevator and noses down during the inverted 45 climb. I dropped to 8S and still am moving packs back. I have really light mini servos in the stab which really aren't helping here. I'll see if I can get the balance point where I like it w/o changing any of the servos or adding weight. I think it will really help the fact that I've never felt locked in, nor had much success with slow rolling maneuvers.

Velco, what are you using for batteries? I found that my 10S 4000mah packs weight less than my 8S 5000mah packs, so 10S can theoretically be lighter for the same power and flight time since we use less current that way.

UltraBob 05-08-2012 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go Lab.......

Velco 05-08-2012 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Velco, what are you using for batteries? I found that my 10S 4000mah packs weight less than my 8S 5000mah packs, so 10S can theoretically be lighter for the same power and flight time since we use less current that way.
Iam using Rhinos 4900, so pretty heavy for a total of 1270g. About what you say for 10S vs 8S you are absolutely right.

Velco

lablover 05-09-2012 02:33 AM

ORIGINAL: UltraBob

Here ya go Lab.......

Yup, looks like I got some re-doing in my future. I have to admit I'm not a pull pull fan although I guess there is an advantage???? I just hate the lead weights!. No wonder the previous owner didn't like the way it flew. too nose heavy Thanks a million Bob.

BTW what size and length is that turnbuckle? :) ans what servo is that? was it a drop in?

Jetdesign 05-09-2012 04:05 AM

I'm so psyched this conversation is happening. I've just not been happy with the plane, figuring it was me, or the neutral wing angle.

Velco, I find the plane does fly better with a little less weight than the 10S 4900mah Rhino setup. I love those packs, but dropping to 4000mah reduced the weight up front by 250g changing to Zippy 4000mah packs (985g is weight of the packs). Not sure though what would happen with the extra weight but CG moved back.

lablover 05-09-2012 04:15 AM

I know this is a total newbie comment but.....

Adding 1.5 oz in the tail. Really that bad of a thing to do? I mean guys are running bigger batts etc so I don't think that little bit of weight is gonna hurt anything. I mean if it makes the bird fly better right?

I know staying away from adding lead is a good idea.............But?

Jetdesign 05-09-2012 04:37 AM

ORIGINAL: lablover

Adding 1.5 oz in the tail. Really that bad of a thing to do? I mean guys are running bigger batts etc so I don't think that little bit of weight is gonna hurt anything. I mean if it makes the bird fly better right?

I think most of us started out adding weights here and there. Serious competitors will go to extremes you can't imagine to avoid adding weight. It's up to you to balance your flying and building experience level with making those decisions.

I would add the weight and see how it flies. If you like it, do what you can to shave weight from the front. The plane can handle the weight to a degree - it has a lot of wing area, so straight and level with an extra few ounces is no big deal. I think I'm finding that extra weight is hurting my rolling maneuvers - there is extra wing area, but not extra side area in the fuse.

Not sure if your plane has a battery tray added in the rear of the fuse - that can help. Lighter prop can help, lighter wheels can help, and these are relatively inexpensive changes to make. Also, your 35C XX00 mah rx pack is extra weight; I fly with two 450mah 20C packs, they are very light, and my regulators are the lightest I've seen.

Jetdesign 05-09-2012 04:38 AM

ORIGINAL: lablover

Can you post some pics of your plane, showing prop/spinner, internal electronics, servos, etc?

lablover 05-09-2012 04:46 AM

I might be able too later today.
I could move the main batt packs back a bit as well as the rx pack, but that only saves me adding .5 oz This is with all batts touching wing tube

UltraBob 05-09-2012 04:50 AM

Morning guys......

Lab..it's a 5 inch H9 4-40 pro link on the rudder with Dubro 4-40 ball links. The servo could have been turned around to use a shorter push rod but the 5 inch was all I had. By the way it's a 1 1/2 inch pro link on the elevator with the same Dubro ball links.

The servo is a Hitec 7985 and it dropped right in.....

Bob

Jetdesign 05-09-2012 04:54 AM

Batts touching the wing tube can actually be a good thing- it ensures you put them in the same spot every time.

I think the manual suggests building a tray aft of the canopy, for receiver and rx batteries. I did that and I know others have, that can help too.

UltraBob 05-09-2012 05:06 AM

Expanding on what Joe said, I'd like to see pics of all you guys's airplanes and how you did your installs, electronics, etc.
I always learn a lot on these forums and would like to see how others do things. I'll post one later today.

Thanks!

lablover 05-09-2012 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The tray is there, I thought of moving the RX batt there but would have to make some type of extension for the power box digi switch. those wires are small enough and I wasn't sure extending them would be a good idea. Thoughts?

Is it a bad idea to have the rx batt right next to the RX? Like I said, I'm sort of new to the electrics. I think I will move the Rudder servo in the back like Bob did. BTW, previous owner has a HS645MG for rudder...good enough? 133 OZ torque at 6 V

2 4 cell 5000 mah....came witht he plane

Cant seem to figure how to upload pic?

Guess I did :)

lablover 05-09-2012 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bigger pic

Jetdesign 05-09-2012 05:44 AM

Just for balancing purposes, move the Rx battery next the Rx, and the big batteries up against the 'wall' and see how it works.

My Rx packs are right next to my Rx (touching) and I've never had any issues. You can move the power box (regulator?) back there as well, when I was running 10S my regs were back behind the canopy where the rx tray is.

If you only have one battery, using an extension is adding a failure point. I don't think I would do it there, but some would.

What motor/prop are you running? And what spinner? (Stock is white w/ aluminum back plate)

I tried using different batteries to save weight/optimize performance, however all I really did was add complexity as they all need to be in different places to achieve constant balance point. Based on that, I don't suggest trying smaller batteries, unless you want to buy a few sets to use for serious practice and contests, and save the set you have for warming up or other purposes. But you can probably get away with 4000-4400mah if you wanted to. And 20C is all you need for power packs, don't waste money and weight on higher 'C' packs.

lablover 05-09-2012 05:51 AM

Good info Joe

The power box is a switch with regulator. It's mounted in the side of the fuse so I'm not thrilled about moving it. Just another hole to cover :) I tried what you suggested witht he rx pack and moving the batts back. Didn't give me enough to really still not to have to add weight. It's all to close to the CG to make alot of difference. I weighd the servo...1.3 oz...Yea, that might be the ticket. Is pull pull that much better than one rod on one side of the rudder? I'm not at any stage in my flying that I call competitive........yet :)

Stock Spinner

UltraBob 05-09-2012 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's where my Rhino 4900"s ended up..