RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Contra Rotating Propeller Drive for f3a 2m Pattern Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/9833118-contra-rotating-propeller-drive-f3a-2m-pattern-planes.html)

Neko 01-30-2017 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by rgreen24 (Post 12301371)
Can you post some pics of the jlog in your plane, how you hook it up and where you can purchase it. I also fly an 18mz and this information would be very helpful to have - I am also runnng the Mezon

I use a Jeti transmitter with Mezon ESC. It's set up to announce the charge used at regular intervals. So the nice lady inside the radio tells me "1500 milliamp hours", etc., during the flight. I doubt this is permitted during a contest, but for practice flights it's terrific. The newest firmware will allow you to call the pattern, as well, advancing through maneuvers when you hit a switch, or when you tilt the transmitter slightly (it has built in accelerometers). It's a beautifully designed system with elegantly made hardware.

Another thing I like about telemetry is that it records signal strength, tells you when it goes below threshold, and allows you to plot signal strength as a function of position on Google Maps (if you have a GPS unit installed). This has been helpful since our field is having interference problems, at least for those radios manufactured by a company whose name sounds like "spectrum".

Sorry if this is off topic.

PeterP 01-30-2017 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by ltc (Post 12301378)

That's the old unit. the S32 is what you want. This product was only released in December.
http://j-log.eu/s32/s32-en/

PeterP 01-30-2017 10:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rgreen24 (Post 12301371)
Can you post some pics of the jlog in your plane, how you hook it up and where you can purchase it. I also fly an 18mz and this information would be very helpful to have - I am also runnng the Mezon

There really isn't to much to show you in photos so here they are if it helps. Basically the cable with the red connector from the ESC plugs into the S32 and another cable (servo extension lead with male connectors on each end) connects directly into your receiver SBUS2 port. Telemetry registration in your Futaba radio is like any other SBUS compliant device. I have attached a chart from one of my flights to give you some idea of what you can do. I am using one of the Throttle-Tech devices and it was interesting to see how the PWM on the throttle channel was increased as the flight progressed. I am aware how it works it was just interesting to visualise the impact it makes.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2199102http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2199103http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2199104

Jason Arnold 03-16-2017 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by PeterP (Post 12300940)
I thought I would share some of my recent experiences on various updates I have made with my Brenner V3 setup.

I am still flying the V3 Contra (3rd season) and it is still going strong with no evidence of wear on the Brenner drive (500-600+ flights). I had a recent issue with the NEU motor which also took out my Spin 90 ESC so I made the decision to give the new Hacker C54 a try (advertised 1280 KV) which is similar to the NEU. This resulted in purchasing a new manifold and pinion gear assembly and mount to get it working. I must say I am really impressed with the quality of the Hacker and the way it delivers its power. The performance seems slightly better, smoother throttle transition, running significantly cooler than the NEU and a saving of 40 grams in weight. In addition I would say that power consumption has reduced slightly with this setup. I have also upgraded to Jeti Mezon 95 Opto lite which I purchased for my V4 and I am really impressed with this combination. There isn’t any real weight penalty with this ESC but the idle RPM can be set as low as 150 RPM if you want that. The braking performance seems better as I had to reduce the amount of brake I was using previously. Not sure if that was a result of the Hacker C54 or the Mezon ESC. In design the Mezon appears to be at another level when you compare the circuit design btw the Spin. Overall I think there are significant benefits over the SPIN with the ability to recall flight min/max values at the end of the flight or view live data on the ground with the programmer box attached.

I did a bit of a search on the net and came across a new product called a JLog-S32. It basically converts Jeti EX data stream to Futaba FASSTest the following link provides some interesting reading. http://j-log.eu/s32/s32-en/jlog2-6-s32-en/ so my Jeti Mezon now feeds data Volts, current, capacity, temp, rpm directly into my Futaba 18MZ for real-time display. This unit only weighs a few grams and will be an invaluable tool to monitor the performance of my setup. The beauty is don’t need to wire an inline current sensor to give you this feature. (If you fly with a Jeti radio you obviously don’t need this item)
The Jlog also the ability to log all this information on a micro SD card for further analysis. All information is time and date stamped so you can recall information to a particular point in time. The Jlog has to ability to translate to most other telemetry protocols if you fly some other brand of radio.

Hi Guys,

If you need a Hacker C54 for your V3 I have one in stock now. https://www.precisionaeroproducts.co...brenner-v3-crs
The related products shows the other bits you will probably need to make the conversion.

Regards,
Jason.

KS-Model 04-12-2017 06:56 PM

Dear Brenner,

We are interested in contra drive. ^.^
May we have more information about them, price, specification, availability, so on? Many thanks!

best regards,
Shirley

Brenner 04-12-2017 07:08 PM

Hey Shirley,

Currently, the best source is www.f3aunlimited.com

Availability is good. Drives are custom assembled, and shipped within one week of receipt of payment.

The best link to follow for specs is: http://www.f3aunlimited.com/contrav4

Brenner ...

KS-Model 04-12-2017 08:25 PM

Hi Brenner,

Thank you very much! :)

Shirley

PeterP 05-13-2017 07:04 AM

I will be running the V4 with the Kontronic 600 motor shortly in a new model and would like to hear what props everyone is using.

I have be running the V3 drive on 10.15 gearing and 22x20 Front and Rear and I am happy with the speed range and pulling performance this combination gives. I guess my question is will the same props give a similar feel given the gear ratio and KV of the V4 is different. How does the noise compare with the V3. The few that I have heard over here seem much noisier than the V3.

Brenner 05-13-2017 07:34 AM

Hey Peter,

I am currently running the Falcon 23x22 rear with a Falcon 22x20 front. This is is the best performing setup that I have found.

However, there are some downsides that need to be considered:

1/.. The 23" Falcons are running about 1db to 2db noisier than 22" props.
2/.. The Falcon props are fragile, especially in the blades area near the hub. They will not survive a prop strike.
3/.. There is a wooden insert in the front prop hub, but it doesn't extend across the complete diameter. Falcon has left space in the hub to allow foam to be shared between the two blades. This makes the falcon front hub susceptible to being crushed if the front prop nut is tightened too much.
4/.. The hubs on the rear props are also fragile. I have also crushed these hubs as well.

Aside from all this the performance is phenomenal. The vertical performance is especially good. These props will also work well on a V3 setup, but I think they really come into their own with the V4.

Currently we are cutting molds for our own set of 23" props. The molds are being plated right now, so I hope to be able try them in a week or so. Our props will be slightly heavier, (5g or so per prop..) but this will be because we are going to add additional carbon fiber tow in the hubs and in the blades near the hubs.We hope that this will make our props stiffer, and stronger.

We are also going to make the blades narrower near the tips to try and reduce the strength of the vortices that are shed from the tip. We will compensate by making the middle portion of the blades wider to maintain the same prop loading. The intention here is to absorb more energy from the air flow before it reaches the tips, which should make the props more efficient and quieter.

As far as Drive noise is concerned, it is important that the rear support not be preloaded in any one direction. If it is, this will compress the rubber isolators and cause motor noise to be transmitted into the fuselage.

If the mount is preloaded, this can generally be corrected by shimming the isolators on the front mounting plate. Alternatively, the mounting holes in the rear support can be opened up, but this is not recommended because it can allow the whole setup to shift if there's a prop strike.

Brenner ...

Brenner 05-13-2017 07:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)
By the way,

We now have a mounting kit for the Hacker C54 that works with the V3 Drive. From now on this what we will be shipping with any V3 Drive that specifies the Hacker C54 motor as its target motor.

Brenner ...

swk550 05-13-2017 07:41 AM

V4 Contra with Hacker C54-2Y L

Can the Contra V4 be used with the Hacker C54-2Y L motor?

Brenner 05-13-2017 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by swk550 (Post 12335851)
Can the Contra V4 be used with the Hacker C54-2Y L motor?

Sorry, no. Not at this time.

Brenner ...

Henning 05-13-2017 01:02 PM

Hey Brenner,

What is the benefit of running 22x20 front and 23x22 rear compared to 23” on both props?

My current favourite propellers are Falcon 23x20F and 23x22R. I find my planes to feel more locked in with the 23” props compared to Falcon 22”. Mejzlik 22x20F and 22x22R are a good alternative in really windy conditions. They will give more speed at the same amp consumption and they are significantly more quiet in the air.

Br,
Henning

underdw 05-14-2017 06:04 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Brenner (Post 12335850)
By the way,

We now have a mounting kit for the Hacker C54 that works with the V3 Drive. From now on this what we will be shipping with any V3 Drive that specifies the Hacker C54 motor as its target motor.

Brenner ...

Updated 6/30/17 after failure. My mount system described and pictured below reduced the motor pinion engagement into the drive to about 3/16". This resulted in the drive pinion receptacle teeth stripping out after about 50 flights. USE BRENNER'S MOUNTING SYSTEM!

My solution to the C54 retrofit was a little different. I made my own triangular motor mount and added a 1/16" thick CF spacer ring as shown in the pic.
The drive fit back into the existing V3 mounts in the plane with the correct spinner backplate spacing. Brenner, won't your mount bring the drive forward an additional 3-4mm?
I also found that due to the larger diameter of the C54, I needed to trim a little bit off the outside of the grommets and orient the flatspots toward the motor. See pic 2.
I saved about 30gm, as the Hacker is lighter than the Neu.
I flew the new setup yesterday with great success. Maybe a bit more power and efficiency? ...but the biggest benefit I hope will be not having burned/seized/broken Neu motors putting my plane at risk.

Brenner 05-14-2017 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by underdw (Post 12336092)
My solution to the C54 retrofit was a little different. I made my own triangular motor mount and added a 1/16" thick CF spacer ring as shown in the pic.
The drive fit back into the existing V3 mounts in the plane with the correct spinner backplate spacing. Brenner, won't your mount bring the drive forward an additional 3-4mm?
I also found that due to the larger diameter of the C54, I needed to trim a little bit off the outside of the grommets and orient the flatspots toward the motor. See pic 2.
I saved about 30gm, as the Hacker is lighter than the Neu.
I flew the new setup yesterday with great success. Maybe a bit more power and efficiency? ...but the biggest benefit I hope will be not having burned/seized/broken Neu motors putting my plane at risk.

Hey Dan,

Yes, it will, but the plate can always be shimmed forward with spacers.

Brenner ...

Brenner 05-14-2017 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Henning (Post 12335927)
Hey Brenner,

What is the benefit of running 22x20 front and 23x22 rear compared to 23” on both props?

My current favourite propellers are Falcon 23x20F and 23x22R. I find my planes to feel more locked in with the 23” props compared to Falcon 22”. Mejzlik 22x20F and 22x22R are a good alternative in really windy conditions. They will give more speed at the same amp consumption and they are significantly more quiet in the air.

Br,
Henning

Hey Henning,

Typically you will want to run a larger diameter prop in front and a smaller diameter prop in back. This is so that the vortices that are shed from the tips of the front prop won't interfere with the rear prop.

In the setup that you are describing you might hear more noise as the tip vortices from the front prop create turbulence for the rear prop to pass through. Also, the rpm of both props will change slightly as the planetary gearset in the gearbox rebalances the load from front to rear. This is a benefit that comes from using a planetary Drive instead of a fixed gear Drive. With a fixed gear Drive the prop rpm ratio front to back will remain fixed, which will skew the power loading on each prop, and could result in noticeable trim changes to the aircraft.

As far as noise is concerned, just because theory says that the props will be noisier, doesn't mean that a person will be able to actually hear any difference. I've heard that the human ear needs a 3db difference before a change in sound can be perceived, so it could measure noisier, and you still might not hear a difference.

The final test is for you to try it and see if it works in your setup.

Brenner ...

swk550 05-14-2017 03:26 PM

Hacker Master Spin 99 & Pyro 650-83

Sorry, but I'm confused. I've read the Spin 99 won't work with the Pyro 600 14 pole motor. Does the Hacker Master Spin 99 work with the Pyro 650 10 pole motor? If OK, what ESC settings should work?

Brenner 05-14-2017 05:42 PM

Yes, the Spin 99 won't work with the 14 pole motor, but it will work with a 10 pole motor so you can use it with the Pyro 650.

However, if you have your heart set on using a Pyro 600 motor then there is an option. There is a Mr. Bert Decker in Holland who will rewind a 10 pole 600 motor for you so that it has a 970 rpm/V kv. Bert buys the motor components from Kontronik, and then he winds the motors himself.

There are quite a few top pilots who are using Bert's motors. (Shulman, Lockhart ...) Their performance is excellent, and you can use any ESC that you want. Also, the price isn't much more than getting a 14 pole motor.

If anyone is interested in getting one of Bert's motors, send me a PM, and I'll give you Bert's email.

As far as ESC settings are concerned:

Poles = 10 or 14 depending on the motor.
Timing = 23 degrees (or thereabouts..)
Acceleration = NORMAL (1.0 seconds..)
Braking = 1.0 seconds / 15% to 20%

Hope this helps, Brenner ...

PeterP 05-14-2017 06:53 PM

Hi Brenner,

What benefits does Bert's 600 rewound motor bring over the 600 motor that you provide other than being able to use any ESC you want?

Brenner 05-14-2017 06:57 PM

Hey Peter,

Bert's motor has a higher kv, so it is capable of generating more power. Also, the ESC runs quite a bit cooler, so it's not absolutely necessary to locate it under the motor fan to maximize cooling.

Brenner ...

PeterP 05-15-2017 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Brenner (Post 12336154)
Hey Henning,

Typically you will want to run a larger diameter prop in front and a smaller diameter prop in back. This is so that the vortices that are shed from the tips of the front prop won't interfere with the rear prop.

In the setup that you are describing you might hear more noise as the tip vortices from the front prop create turbulence for the rear prop to pass through. Also, the rpm of both props will change slightly as the planetary gearset in the gearbox rebalances the load from front to rear. This is a benefit that comes from using a planetary Drive instead of a fixed gear Drive. With a fixed gear Drive the prop rpm ratio front to back will remain fixed, which will skew the power loading on each prop, and could result in noticeable trim changes to the aircraft.

As far as noise is concerned, just because theory says that the props will be noisier, doesn't mean that a person will be able to actually hear any difference. I've heard that the human ear needs a 3db difference before a change in sound can be perceived, so it could measure noisier, and you still might not hear a difference.

The final test is for you to try it and see if it works in your setup.

Brenner ...

Hi Brenner, Could you verify in your current setup whether the larger 23in prop in on the front or rear.

Brenner 05-15-2017 06:10 AM

Hey Peter,

In my current setup I am using 23" diameter props on both front and rear.

The props that we are currently cutting molds for will have a larger front prop, and a slightly smaller rear prop.

Brenner ...

OhD 05-21-2017 02:10 PM

Contra Data Point

I started flying my first Contra V3 with a Neu motor in December of 2012. I'm currently still flying it and it has 413 total flights and is still going strong. I started flying the second in October of 2014 and it has 304 flights with zero problems. I'm sure many others have flown many more flights and I'd be interested in your experience. From where I sit, this is beating glow engines for pattern competition any way you look at it, and better than I expected. Longer life, lower maintenance, more consistent performance. Plus all of the benefits of contra rotating props.

I don't fly as much as I once did, but I must say if it weren't for electric power I probably wouldn't be flying at all.

​​​​​​​Jim O

serious power 05-25-2017 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brenner (Post 12336369)
Hey Peter,

In my current setup I am using 23" diameter props on both front and rear.

The props that we are currently cutting molds for will have a larger front prop, and a slightly smaller rear prop.

Brenner ...

Hi Brenner,
I wonder would it be possible for you to post a side by side photo of the new and the old props just to show the difference in the pattern.

Also will you be doing similar diameter offsets and or blade pattern changes in all the sizes as the moulds need replacing.

Brian

Brenner 05-26-2017 07:19 AM

Hey Brian,

As soon as I can get some pictures I will.

It is not likely that the molds for our existing props will need replacing, at least not in the near term. Our molds are machine from solid block aluminum, polished, and then electroless nickel plated. Electroless nickel plating is very hard, which contributes to very long lived molds.

Brenner ...