Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pylon Racing
Reload this Page >

E Flite Shoestring for EF1

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pylon Racing Discuss all aspects of electric pylon racing here.

E Flite Shoestring for EF1

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 PM
mdwpylonracer42h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E Flite Shoestring for EF1

To anyone,

I just wanted to say I received my copy of MA today and took special interest in the article on the new EF1 EFlite Shoestring. Lonnie did a great article. The Shoestring is way too cool as compared to the Pogo. This is a matter of opinion of course, but the graphics and the shape just seem to make it a better choice. I have a few questions, and I hope that someone can help me as I am very interested in purchasing one of these for the specific purpose of pylon racing.

One, what batteries are the hot set up, is it ThunderPower or Turnigy, or what? I know the required pack is 2500 mah 4S of some limiting weight. What is allowed by EF1 rules and what is appearing to be the better? You can buy two to three Turnigy's for the price of one ThunderPower. For a race event, you would at least need 5 charged packs to keep from recharging, 6 for a morning test flight, and more for fly offs! I have heard the ThunderPowers have a little more juice during the 8th thru last laps.

Two, you think that someone sponsored by JR/Horizon Hobby could convince them to produce these planes in solid colors of choice like white, red or yellow? This request is a long shot as I'm sure as their production is to make the one as pictured in the MA article, right? Or is some other pattern/color combo going to come out? The cool thing about a solid colored airplane is that it allows the owner to customize it easily with trim/colors of his liking to make his plane unique to everyone elses.

Three, is there an aluminum spinner that comes with cooling holes cut out in the front with a "fanned" back plate to force cool the motor and speed controllor?

Four, I noted Lonnie used MN48's exclusively. I probably would use the recommended JR368s for the wings, but is the better servo like the JR3121 needed for elevator for better centering control?

Fifth and final (I think for now), what is the best speed controller and motor combo that is seen as the more dominant, or are they all about the same?

On such a small course at 100mph, these items may not matter, but this is racing and I want to at least purchase the best within reason. I know, I know, money is no substitution for practice.

And, as a final note, a special congrats goes to the NMPRA individuals that worked a lot of hours to build, test, build, test, etc. to develope this event. I think NMPRA has a winner here and it might be the ticket to get more involved. I have dropped out of NMPRA for the last 5 years or so, but I am thinking about joining again.

Thanks,

Mike W

PS: I also wanted to mention that NMPRA's 426 class is the right way to go too. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:12 AM
rs-ssfan
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: E Flite Shoestring for EF1

Mike,

First thanks for the compliment.  Building, flying and writing about the Shoestring was a lot of fun.  Second let me answer your questions based on what I’ve heard, seen and experienced personally. 

One: Personally I have 3 – 2700mah 65c Thunder Power (lost one in the crash at the NATS) and a 2500mah 30 E-Flite battery.  From what I can tell the 30c seems to “lay down” the last couple laps but some of that might be a mental thing as I heard the same thing you did prior to actually flying an EF1. The biggest difference that I can confirm is the 65c batteries are cooler at the end of the flight compared to the 30c one. 

Two: It’s my understanding that the scheme you saw was the only one that is going to be issued.

Three: From what I can tell this really isn’t necessary.  The “tube” on the bottom of the cowl is directly in line with the ESC so if you open that and the exit hole in the fuse you’ll have great airflow over it.  I never checked the temp of the motor but it never seemed to be very hot.  I think the aluminum spinner and stand offs act like a heat sink and pull the heat away from the motor.  If you thought it was necessary it would be pretty easy to duct air from the cowl cheeks to the motor. 

Four: Quite frankly I used what they sent me; personally I’d use Futaba S9650’s.  That being said I didn’t note any centering issues with the MN48’s, and with the lack of vibration you shouldn’t have a longevity issue.  Also to let you know the MN48’s are a direct drop in the holes for the tail surfaces.  The only reason the 368’s are recommended for the wing is because it’s a pretty thin airfoil. 

Five: I’ve used both the E-Flite 60amp and the Castle Creations Ice 75amp.  Unfortunately they were used in two different planes so I can truly compare them apples to apples but I think the CC one is a little better.  I will tell you that the CC speed control will not fit in the slot that is built into the Shoestring, it’s way too tall.  The slot is pretty much a direct fit for the E-Flite speed control. 

When I first got started in this I asked what battery connectors I needed and I was told that I needed a connector that could handle 70 amps so in my simple mind I should have a speed control that can handle that much as well.  I was also told that the battery has more of an impact on the performance than the ESC. 

At the NATS there were all different combinations of batteries, speed controls and motors.  No one airplane had a clear speed advantage, it was more about the course you flew. 

Sorry for the long reply and thanks again for the compliment.

Lonnie

Old 06-18-2012, 02:49 AM
TPerk
My Feedback: (1)

I just got my first flight on Eflight Shoestring and I don't see it doing a 115 mph. I am useing a Castle 75 amp speed control,with a 3000 14.8 volt 40c battery with Eflight 25 motor and I am turning 1300 RPM with a APC 8*8 prop. Has any one really check the spreed of this plane?
I do not think it really does a 115 MPH or anything close to that. Ifant one has any more infoon theplanes speed please let me know
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I can tell you that my E-Flite 25 motor with a Castle Phoenix 60 and a Blue Sky 4S 2650 30C turns the 8x8 prop at 15,000. I think something must be wrong with your system.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 AM
TPerk

Ok so what do you thing could be wrong? I am not saying that the Shoestring is not flying fast but I do not beleave it is going close to 115 MPH.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 AM
TPerk

Sorry I rechecked the RPMs and I am getting 14,000. The plane just does not seem to be doing a 115 mph