Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Electric Pylon Racing
Reload this Page >

Electric Racing at Don Stegall's field in 2014

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pylon Racing Discuss all things related to electric pylon racing here!

Electric Racing at Don Stegall's field in 2014

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:57 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Racing at Don Stegall's field in 2014

I plan to run at least 6 informal electric races on my field behind my house near Monroe, North Carolina (outside of Charlotte) in 2014. I am not going to try to have a "worker force" and there will be no special course equipment other than Portable Pylons and flags. I hope to get a manual lap counting setup made. These are to be fun races or practice races to get together and just have fun. If anybody makes it non-fun, they will get booted.

I am going to run RCPRO Club Wingman and ParkZone Warbird racing. I will get the rules for the Warbird racing on the web site over the next month. I may develop rules for Club 40 Electric and run that now that the LA Racer 40 has a battery hatch.

I plan to run the races on the 3 pole NMPRA EF1 Short Course. 375' x 100'. I have been flying the Wingman II on a 400' x 100' course and that size is comfortable on my field. If more people want to do 2 pole, some of the races may be 2 pole.

If it turns out that I'm comfortable with an EF1 on my field, we may do EF1.

There will be no combustion powered plane flying at the field. Electric Quickie 500 using the NMPRA EF1 power system may be a possibility. I have flown 424 on my field and it's not too fast, but I want to keep the noise down.

If you're interested, please post or send me an email or private message.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:23 PM
DonStegall

We have had a bunch of rain over the past couple of days. It will be months until I can fly on the field here. I'm going to have to do my EF1 and Club 40 Electric test flying and practice at a club for the next couple of months.

I am still planning to have events at my house/field in 2014. I got the ok from the wife and while she won't be cooking, the grill will be gassed up and I'm sure I can find a guest chef. I plan to start the approximately once a month happenings in May.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	1950776   Click image for larger version

Name:	middle.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1950777   Click image for larger version

Name:	right.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	1950778  
Old 02-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Carlos G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Don,

Just found this thread. If all that water was slow moving maybe you could have an electric Schneider Cup race? You never know...

Carlos G
Old 02-01-2014, 02:42 PM
DonStegall

Originally Posted by Carlos G
Hi Don,

Just found this thread. If all that water was slow moving maybe you could have an electric Schneider Cup race? You never know...

Carlos G
Carlos,

Fortunately the field drains within a day of flooding. It takes about an inch of rain an hour for a couple of hours to flood it. Of a decent amount of rain over a longer period. It usually only floods in the winter unless we have an unusual series of rains later in the year. I had a pair of floats to put on a foamie, but I can never get around to it.

It looks much better today and I got two flights with my Groovy 3D in today. Gusts to about 10 mph, so I cut it short. Love that plane, but I'm going to convert it to direct drive and a non-folding prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0100[1].JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	1964404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101[1].JPG
Views:	89
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	1964405  
Old 05-03-2014, 03:24 PM
KEN 31

AS anyone heard from Don Stegall lately?
Old 05-03-2014, 03:29 PM
DonStegall

Ken, I've had a rough winter and spring due to health issues. I got a treatment yesterday and will feel better in a few days.