Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Electric Pylon Racing
Reload this Page >

Please help me choose an electric pylon ARF

Notices
Electric Pylon Racing Discuss all things related to electric pylon racing here!

Please help me choose an electric pylon ARF

Old 09-26-2016, 01:21 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me choose an electric pylon ARF

Hi Folks,

I don't have a lot of time to build these days but would like to get involved with my local club's 3-pole electric pylon racing. Most of the guys who win are flying kit or plans built 1/2a pylon planes converted to electric, turning the APC 5x5 at 23,500 (most are GLH-2's). The "commercially available" planes being flown are the funfighter type, limited to 18,500 rpm and the off-the-shelf birds just don't keep up. Of course, pilot skill plays a huge part.

Any of you smart electric pylon guru's know how to work the math to where a commercially available plane turning 18,500 can beat a 1/2a conversion turning 23,500? Any ARF (or close to ARF) suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Dave

The basic rules on the planes are as follows:

MOTOR: Pilots who fly commercially available “low wing area” models will use a brushless motor using a 20 amp or greater speed controller capable of turning a 5.0 X 5.0 propeller at a maximum speed of 18,500 rpm static. Pilots who wish to race in this class using a SRAC Modified Airframe 423 1/2A glow model (such as the GLH, or any glow model meeting the airframe restrictions as outlined in AMA Event 423) may use any brushless motor and 35 amp or greater speed controller capable of turning a 5.0 X 5.0 propeller at a maximum speed of 23,500 rpm static. The CD will have discretion to allow or disallow models in either configuration

AIRPLANE: The airplane airframe is open (except for AMA 423 event planes). However, the airplane-designed wing loading must provide a safe and sane hand launch, landing approach and touchdown. The Contest Director will judge any marginal designs for safety. In addition the airframe should be “conventional design” with a forward wing, aft horizontal stabilizer and a single motor mounted in front. See applicable AMA R/C Pylon Race Rules: “Conventional Design”.

PROPELLER: APC 5.0 x 5.0 propellers will be used for both “low wing area” models and for AMA 423 event planes. Propeller size and pitch may be altered at the conclusion of a day’s racing with approval of the Contest Director.

BATTERY: Airplanes in this class will use a 3S Lithium Polymer battery pack. No limit on Mah capacity.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:39 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the double post. Did not see a delete button.