Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

bought mcx2, what about the msr now?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

bought mcx2, what about the msr now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:12 PM
jrc4120

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought mcx2, what about the msr now?

Hi, I bought a new mcx2 a few days ago, it is definitely neat! I thought it would be tougher to learn how to fly, but honestly I had it going pretty good by the second battery. I'm thinking about buying an MSR now, which seems like a nice little upgrade. My question is, now that I can handle the mcx2 pretty well, how long will it take me to learn on the msr? Is it really going to be THAT MUCH tougher to use? Anyone with experience with both, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 02:18 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: bought mcx2, what about the msr now?

if you picked up the mcx2 that fast, you should have no problems with the msr. the msr is the next step up. if you think your ready, go for it
Old 01-01-2011, 12:57 PM
spidaso

I went straight to the msr and first day was frustration .. sat down and read about the msr here. Initialized it correctly and things went better..had a wreck and the vertical stabilizer popped off, never noticed being gone but all of a sudden it was flying very stable ... no RC heli experience and bout 10 packs later I can tail in hover flying in front of my LCD TV doesn't scare the bajesus out of me. If you go msr I would suggest ordering some spare parts at the same time..specifically landing gear.. when you do get it and are having trouble with it being squirrely push down the right stick so the red light is flashing on the TX....sort of like a newbie mode...
Old 01-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Flying Fiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the MSR is a good next step.

And +1 on the tip about the dual rates. But pushing down on the right tx stick (you hear and feel a click) and letting go again the Tx light won't be solid but will flash - that's newbie mode and your control inputs will register less in the heli.

Just control it subtly and slowly at first as it can really get going (unlike the mcx or mcx2) and when you are heading for the inevitable crash -whip down the throttle stick. This will save the heli from serious damage. When you progress to collective pitch (CP) heli's this is a habit you will need to drop asap because on a CP heli this makes it slam into the ground real hard. You shouldn't need too many parts to start as the heli is good forlots crashes without damage so long as you get off the throttle.

Another you could consider and one that will probably have you progress faster is the Walkera CB 100. It flies more like a real heli than the MSR but is more easy to damage. It is just about as stable but it doesn't have the annoying self correcting pendulum effect that the MSR has. It also is faster when you get it outdoors and isn't as eaily effected by wind as the MSR is as it more powerful and heavier.

Good luck with whichever you choose and enjoy.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 AM
sloppyG

I just got both a mcx2 and an msr, if you spend a bit of time setting the trim properly on the msr, on the beginner transmitter settings it's not that different from the mcx2

I keep telling myself that I'm going to leave the msr alone until I'm much more competent with the mcx2, but it's tough to use the slow heli when the fast one is right there!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 PM
NeveSSL
My Feedback: (1)

I started off on the mSR that I got for Christmas. This past weekend I bought a Mini Titan.

The mSRs are great and easy to fly. It definitely took some practice, but within a week I felt really good about flying it. I can still use some more practice, though, but I decided to go ahead and jump into CP helis with a Mini Titan. Gonna take my time, though.

I would also recommend getting a few extra parts, especially the landing gear. Its fairly weak. This helicopter is light and tough, though. Takes a lot to break something on it!

Brandon
Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM
MMAdams123

i did the same thing except i started with the regular MCX. i went to the MSR about two weeks later and it was a nice kick in the ass for me, but pretty soon i realized how different the two birds flew and i adapted as such. now the MSR is my little freak and i love it! still learning, so hopefully you'll at least stay interested for a couple weeks on it. next i'm going back to co-axel..i wanna make the ultimate co-axel machine and then make the leap to CP.

have fun!

-BA
Old 01-19-2011, 02:51 PM
NeveSSL
My Feedback: (1)

I will say don't expect to just magically fly the mSR out of the box... lol... I made that mistake. Several small crashes later, I was in the air, though. Man, I'm going to have to go home and fly it I think... Now I'm kind of jonesing to.

Brandon