Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

piece together vs. ready to fly heli's

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

piece together vs. ready to fly heli's

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:58 PM
bigtommy911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default piece together vs. ready to fly heli's

Hey im still doing tons of research on different styles of CP helis.. Ive been looking at the blade 450 or even possibly building a Hobby King, but i do not know much about the individual parts. I dont feel like spending 800 bucks on a Trex but i dont really mind spending up to 500 bucks, i just dont want to buy a crap copter lol
Any ideas/thoughts would be great knowledge.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 PM
1320Fastback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: piece together vs. ready to fly heli's

No preference between knock offs or name brand BUT I would build it.... In the end you will need to RE-BUILD it at some point in time (hopefully later than sooner) and if you know how it goes together in the first place then when the time comes it will not be all that difficult.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 AM
nick4622

Get the kit IMO you get better quality have choices of better transmitter,you won't regret getting the kit.

I started with a Honey bee king 3 and had to get a co-axel to get the confidence to fly CP.

I ended up selling the HBK 3 to upgrade to a Align 450 pro combo, all theelectronics are included,manual and buildwere great.

This heli flies soo sweet even though Ican't fly that well, Hover around and land good is were im at.

So Isay deff get a kit be itthe Hobby king or EXI, and if you can hold out a little get an Align.

Check out this site theywill pricematch www.helidirect.com

Also this sitehas great prices www.helipross.com

Good luck
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 AM
winginman

Build it, you will be happier in the long run and spend less money. The HK is a good kit. I have a Belt CP RTF and have ended up ripping out the radio and 3 of the servos and replacing them. It was a real bear to fly at first and was crashed 3 times. It has been sweet after the change. If you are a newbie you want a programable radio so you can make the heli more docile. I built the HK from the kit and followed HK recommendations for motor, esc, etc. Only exception is I used MG90 (metal gear) servos. The heli was easy to build and flies very smooth. You also want to purchase a really good 1.5mm hex driver. I found one at my LHS for about $6. Just be careful with the hex screws they strip easy. You also want to go over the metal to metal screws and check for tightness and use thread lock (blue) on the ones that are not tight. I use the Spektrum DX6i and am very happy with it, but any good programable radio should do. The DX6i was the most for the bucks that I could find.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Build it, build it, build it.

You will end up with a better setup then getting a ready to fly.

I have a real high dollar 450 and two medium dollar 450's and soon a maybe low dollar 450. Each has its benefits. Crash a low dollar clone, you are not out a lot to repair. I built an EXI plastic version for a friend at work. He flew it for a long time before he crashed. It was cheaper to get a new ARF kit then to get the parts.

Buzz.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:07 PM
bigtommy911

I see alot of good info... im very new to electronics what are things i should look for? What you all think of the blade 450 ?? THanks alot of the help.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
blvdbuzzard

I have put this list together before. It is a basic list of a 450 sized helicopter.

I have this motor and ESC. They work pretty well. It really changed the way my MX450SX fly's. Lots more power. The MX450SX is a sort of Trex type. Not a clone, but a kissing cousin.`

Helicopter

http://www.xheli.com/exi450arfrar.html

For after you get good at hovering. I was going to get the tube drive version, that is until I was laid off work.

http://www.xheli.com/18h18-exi450pro-belt.html

Servos, I have these in planes and my MX450SX

http://www.hobbypartz.com/9gexidimeges.html

Motor that I have in my MX450SX.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/e450brmow27f.html

Pinions

http://www.hobbypartz.com/11pige.html

ESC, in my MX450SX

http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-40...oller-esc.html

Batteries

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-2200mah-3s1p-111-20c.html

Gyro, drifts a little, but not bad. I have it in my MX450SX

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1017.html

Tail servo. I have it in my MX450SX

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=E0835794

Blades

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-pro-3351.html

Charger, I have (2) of them.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html

Radios

These was on sale last week. I have (2) RD8000's. They are a real good radio.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...y-rds8000.html

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...o-w-rx600.html

This is a STARTING point. Gives you an idea of parts that you can look at and research. The ones I have, work for me. You will need to do some soldering and order some connectors here and there.

Buzz.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:33 PM
bigtommy911

This is a STARTING point. Gives you an idea of parts that you can look at and research. The ones I have, work for me. You will need to do some soldering and order some connectors here and there.

Buzz.
[/quote]

Nice.. what kind of money did it cost to build the entire bird with remote and batteries???

Old 03-25-2011, 05:44 PM
blvdbuzzard

Well, if you go on the real cheap side, you can have the helicopter put together for less then $100.00. I do not think that is the way to go, There is frugal, watching what you buy, and there is cheap, get it because it has the lowest price.

Well rough figuring here.

Helicopter EXI $40.00
(3) servos $22.00
Gyro $13.00
tail servo $15.00
motor $20.00
ESC $22.00

So that is $113.00

You will need batteries and a charger too.

If you watch the sales at Hobby People, the Airtronics 6 channel goes on sale for $140.00 and the RD8000 goes on sale for $160.00, I think that is the last sale price I saw.

Buzz.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 PM
bigtommy911

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

Well, if you go on the real cheap side, you can have the helicopter put together for less then $100.00. I do not think that is the way to go, There is frugal, watching what you buy, and there is cheap, get it because it has the lowest price.

Well rough figuring here.

Helicopter EXI $40.00
(3) servos $22.00
Gyro $13.00
tail servo $15.00
motor $20.00
ESC $22.00

So that is $113.00

You will need batteries and a charger too.

If you watch the sales at Hobby People, the Airtronics 6 channel goes on sale for $140.00 and the RD8000 goes on sale for $160.00, I think that is the last sale price I saw.

Buzz.
I see... im still debating on which way i want to go... Id like to build a bird on other hand id also like to get a RTF bird so i dont have to screw around with assembly and tuning.
If i go with kit to build.. definately leaning towards the Spektrum remote DX6 or DX7 remote.

electronics are something im not too familiar with as far as who has the best/decent motors, esc's..etc,etc..
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM
blvdbuzzard

I can not say anything bad against Spektrum, they are a good radio. I just fly Airtronics. When it comes to radios, it is the old Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and so on. People get fired up about it. I say fly what you want.

I have had good luck with the motors from Hobbypartz and Hobby King. I know they are not the best, but for the cost, they are what I use.

Even if you get a ready to fly helicopter, they are far from ready to fly. You will need to check the setup, loctite every screw that goes into metal, setup the pitch and throttle curves, check everything out to make sure it is correct. Plus when you crash it, you will need to take it apart and put it back together.

Buzz.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
ATVAlliance

I was about to say the same thing.  RTF doesnt really mean that you can take it out of the box, charge batts and go fly.  Well unless you dont mind crashing right off the start!

You definitely will want to make sure the head is adjusted to specs.  And of course make sure all metal screws (that go into metal either by nut or frame) has loctite.

I wouldnt trust a RTF heli to just fly right out of the box.  Just my .02's
Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 PM
bigtommy911

ORIGINAL: ATVAlliance

I was about to say the same thing. RTF doesnt really mean that you can take it out of the box, charge batts and go fly. Well unless you dont mind crashing right off the start!

You definitely will want to make sure the head is adjusted to specs. And of course make sure all metal screws (that go into metal either by nut or frame) has loctite.

I wouldnt trust a RTF heli to just fly right out of the box. Just my .02's
Oh i definately understand and read about this, im actually gearing towards purchasing the Blade 450 when it comes out, because my wallet cant really afford to build a heli right now. and for the price and what you receieve the eflight blade 450 seems to be a really good buy for the money.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM
bigtommy911

anyone have also a thought on erazor 450's ??
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM
winginman

Got an E-Razor 450, bought the receiver ready version for $137 (metal version). Use my Spektrum DX6i Tx and a HK park flier Rx. It flies very well and depending on how you set up the radio is very docile for hovering. Even though it is reciever ready you have to figure out how to set up the servos (ie CCPM). Parts are availabe and fairly inexpensive. I have repaired mine twice and it still flies very nicely. I am happy with it. Love the DX6i too. Let's me control all the functions I need to to make the heli fly the way I want it too.

Built the HK450GT from the kit. It was a faily easy build. Watch the screw heads - Get a good quality 1.5mm hex driver, it will make life a lot easier. (Good idea for the E-Razor as well). The HK flies as well as the E-Razor was fun to build and parts are also reasonable. Threw out the HK blades that come with the kit and use the 325mm 3D CF blades.

The HK450GT is a T-Rex 450 SE v2 clone. The E-Razor is close but not an exact clone so some Align parts work some don't. I just buy Dynam parts from HobbyPartz or Xheli. The HK looks like parts are pretty much interchangable with Align.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:02 PM
bigtommy911

ORIGINAL: winginman

Got an E-Razor 450, bought the receiver ready version for $137 (metal version). Use my Spektrum DX6i Tx and a HK park flier Rx. It flies very well and depending on how you set up the radio is very docile for hovering. Even though it is reciever ready you have to figure out how to set up the servos (ie CCPM). Parts are availabe and fairly inexpensive. I have repaired mine twice and it still flies very nicely. I am happy with it. Love the DX6i too. Let's me control all the functions I need to to make the heli fly the way I want it too.

Built the HK450GT from the kit. It was a faily easy build. Watch the screw heads - Get a good quality 1.5mm hex driver, it will make life a lot easier. (Good idea for the E-Razor as well). The HK flies as well as the E-Razor was fun to build and parts are also reasonable. Threw out the HK blades that come with the kit and use the 325mm 3D CF blades.

The HK450GT is a T-Rex 450 SE v2 clone. The E-Razor is close but not an exact clone so some Align parts work some don't. I just buy Dynam parts from HobbyPartz or Xheli. The HK looks like parts are pretty much interchangable with Align.

Thanks for the info.. i was looking into the receiver ready version of the e-razor as well, and also the RTF blade 450 coming out but for the money it seems to me that the dynam e-razor 450 would be the better buy for the money. and as far as remote goes i might just get the DX6i or possibly the DX7 series spektrum. THe dynam receiver ready is like 138 bucks teamed up with a DX7 would still be alot cheaper than the blade. As far as quality which bird you think is the best for the money?? Dynams E-razor or the E-flight blade 450 ?? as i mentioned i may not be able to afford to build a HK T-rex clone yet due to the fact of cost as well as mightr be moving for career change.