Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Need recommendation on good 450

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Need recommendation on good 450

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:57 AM
dasob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need recommendation on good 450

I'm getting into CP and I've been playing with an Eagle 50. Fun, but it does have its limitations, mainly it seems sluggish on control response and it's pretty succeptible to breezes. In the near future, I want to move up to a 450 size with better response and stability. Anyone got any recommendations for this grasshopper?

Thanks!

Sam
Old 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM
jesses151
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need recommendation on good 450

I would recommend a Blade 400/450 or what ever you can get parts for quick. The biggest thing I tell people getting started with Helis is to make sure you can get parts quick to avoid un-necassary down time after a crash. There's nothing worse than waiting days or weeks for repair parts. I've built the EXI 450 and it is very inexpensive and compatible with the trex 450 but again can you get trex 450 parts quick? I'm sure you could get a RTF blade 400 off of e-bay fairly cheap since there is now a blade 450 and most hobby stores carry eflite parts.
-Jesse
Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM
dasob

That sounds like a plan, Jesse. I have an Eagle 50 right now, and while Xheli is super about getting orders out quickly, they don't carry the CNC rotor head. So I had to order one from a place called NACRC in Hong Kong. It got here in a timely manner, but some of the ball joints were missing. I've e-mailed those people three times trying to get redress, but they have flat ignored me. I'm stuck with a mutt rotor head, half CNC and half plastic. So from now on, I'm sticking with heli's for which I can get ALL the parts from American shops.

I've looked at a number of 400 - 450 helis, and I've done some reading about CP's in general. I've read that a direct-drive tail rotor is preferable to the motor driven one, and that the Hiller rotor head (which I believe is on the Eagle 50) is more sluggish than the Bell/Hiller (is that right?). So I've been using those criteria in shopping around.

The Honey Bee V3 seems popular, but unless I'm mistaken it has the Hiller rotor head. Some other nice ones with Bell/Hiller rotor heads have motor-driven tail rotors. So I'm still very much in the hunt.

I'll definitely look at the Blade 400 - much appreciated!

Sam
Old 08-26-2011, 10:08 AM
SharpProp

I like my exi 450, and I get parts from eBay whenever I need them. It's a fun little helicopter!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: dasob

I'm getting into CP and I've been playing with an Eagle 50. Fun, but it does have its limitations, mainly it seems sluggish on control response and it's pretty succeptible to breezes. In the near future, I want to move up to a 450 size with better response and stability. Anyone got any recommendations for this grasshopper?

Thanks!

Sam
I tried a Blade 400, it had two crashes due to faultyservos and then the tail belt snapped in flight.. I switched over to the 450 Clones and have thousands of flights with no problem.

I have 8 x 450s, take your pick.. they are all nice in their own way..

As a first, I'd recommend a HK450 GT..

Here are mine.. with components used and each one has its own flying video.

Don't let anyone tell you a clone won't be reliable.. some of mine have over 500 flights are are running as good as new..

http://74.50.85.67/RC/Helis/Helis.html
Old 09-05-2011, 05:11 PM
crazytom911

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Thanks!

Sam
I tried a Blade 400, it had two crashes due to faulty servos and then the tail belt snapped in flight.. I switched over to the 450 Clones and have thousands of flights with no problem.

Don't let anyone tell you a clone won't be reliable.. some of mine have over 500 flights are are running as good as new..

How much roughky did you spend on a 450 clone all complete assemblely ??
Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
jnail

Thanks!

Sam
I tried a Blade 400, it had two crashes due to faulty servos and then the tail belt snapped in flight.. I switched over to the 450 Clones and have thousands of flights with no problem.

I second all of this!!! the hk450gt is a great machine. And as the heli guys in my club say..."Don't fly any helis with the E-flite warning label on them!"

The HK450Gt is compatible with the multitudes of genuine and knockoff align parts, so as you get better you can upgrade, or just buy cheap disposable parts.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: crazytom911

Thanks!

Sam

How much roughky did you spend on a 450 clone all complete assemblely ??
Put it this way. . They are so cheap i can build 3 clones ready to fly for less than the cost of a blade 400. you can put one in the air for $100 plus the cost of a radio and receiver.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 PM
soneebee

The TREX sport or PRO will do fine it can be bought in the US parts is all around and its already complete when you get the COMBO
Old 09-25-2011, 07:53 PM
dasob

Thanks for all the input, folks. I just had to drop a grand on my Dodge Ram (water pump, tensioner pulley, serpentine belt and a hose) so I'm a little strapped at the moment, but a nice 450 is still in my sights. The HK seems to come pretty well-recommended so I'll likely zero in on that one.

For the nonce, I still have my Eagle 50, except... one of the cells in the battery is apparently bad and I can't gin up flying speed. And XHeli said that they are out of the compatible batteries - some problem with the connectors on the last batch they got. Besides that, I wouldn't know which kind of battery to put in the heli outside of the OEM one, so I just gotta check back with XHeli to see when they get the correct batteries in.

On that subject, if anyone can point me at a correct compatible battery, I'd appreciate it!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Rob2160

Thanks for all the input, folks. I just had to drop a grand on my Dodge Ram (water pump, tensioner pulley, serpentine belt and a hose) so I'm a little strapped at the moment, but a nice 450 is still in my sights. The HK seems to come pretty well-recommended so I'll likely zero in on that one.

For the nonce, I still have my Eagle 50, except... one of the cells in the battery is apparently bad and I can't gin up flying speed. And XHeli said that they are out of the compatible batteries - some problem with the connectors on the last batch they got. Besides that, I wouldn't know which kind of battery to put in the heli outside of the OEM one, so I just gotta check back with XHeli to see when they get the correct batteries in.

On that subject, if anyone can point me at a correct compatible battery, I'd appreciate it!
You will get the battery you need from Hobbyking for a fraction of the cost. And again dont let anyone convinve younthat cheap is not reliable. Some of my hobbyking batteries have many hundreds of cycles and i have never had one fail yet.

What are the specs of your current battery? And I'll point you to a similar one on hobbyking
Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Rob2160

Sorry, finger trouble while trying to post on an iphone while driving. . .
Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 AM
dasob

All I really know is that it is 11.1V and 800 mA. Beyond that, I have no idea.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM
JunoWelson

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=168877, this one seems okay!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Jorge Obama

the plastic 450QS could be a good choice,but the problem is it is a plastic one