Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

e-heli what one's best for 1 one

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

e-heli what one's best for 1 one

Old 04-16-2002, 07:54 PM
k_ogre
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-heli what one's best for 1 one

help!!
I have a concept ep almost got it built but now people are saying that it's not a good 1st heli and to get a eco 8 is this true ?
I don't want to just kill this thing what do you think? should I sell it and get a used eco?
Old 04-17-2002, 10:11 AM
gwright

the eco is a bit lighter and can perform a bit better,.. but it's fairly fragile. I've flown a couple of the concepts, ecos, and logo's. I'm flying a logo 10 now, and have a logo 20 partially built. The logo is tough, and with the right powersystem will outfly either of the above. I'm currently using 12 cells, hacker B50 11 turn, and schulze 45Ho ESC.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:49 PM
jtthebiggafigga

I would recommend you don't get an eco 8 or 16.
I have mine pumped to the max and it still doesn't come close to a cheap glow heli in performance.

For a cheap heli maybe try a voyager e,
but for fun I thing the logo's are where it is at.

Somewhere out there I saw a company that converts raptors to e power, probably pricey but I bet it flies pretty well.

My eco 8 is on brushless with 12x1250scrs with carbon everything, and my cheap raptor will fly circles around it.

On the plus side, the eco is an easy heli to build and learn to fly with.

I would recommend that whatever eheli you get you go brushless.
Hacker or Jetis work nice. My Aveox is ok, but design wise it is a little behind the times.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:27 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i gotta side with GW on this one, that logo, whichever size ya get, is one fine line of helis. they fly well and take a bit of abuse better than any other electric heli.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:54 PM
TotlKaos

Default E-Helis

Every New flier that has showed up at the field with an eco or smaller e-heli has always ended up purchasing a glow heli to learn on... Not that we didn't help to the ends of the earth.. but the damn things seemed to break very easily compared to a 30 glow heli. Parts replacement was an issue, I'm sure you could learn on it.. hell I learned on a shuttle with a 4channel radio and no gyro years ago so anything is possible!

I have not been able to experience a logo, but I did have a voyager-e and even though it was a nice heli I just got tired of charging the batteries when I could fuel up my glow machine in a few minutes and be back in the sky...
Old 02-10-2003, 09:48 PM
spessx

k_ogre
My advice would be to get an LMH Corona to learn on. These helis are very stable and can handle a good crash - often with no repairs or parts replacement necessary(you will get more stick time and save a ton on parts). Yesterday I crashed my Corona into the ground sideways with quited a bit of headspeed. It made a terrible sound when it hit - but I was able to just set it upright and keep flying. The only drawback to the Corona is that they are fixed pitch and cannot do 3D. I don't see this as a factor because I've been flying my Corona for about 10 months and am just now getting really good at normal forward flight stuff. I also have a Hawk 30 that I've converted to electric but I still enjoy the Corona more just because of the simplicity and low maintenance(again read more stick time). Go to the electric heli forum on www.ezone.com and do a search on Corona. I would purchase a Corona, fly it for a year and then sell it to another beginner (or keep it) and get a more 3D capable heli. I don't plan on selling mine becaue its still my favorite model I've ever built (and got in R/C in '83 with a Tamiya Sandscorcher!). BTW, I've also had an EP concept and an Eco 8 and a few nitro Schluters. I could never get past hovering with the Concept because of fear of crashing. I sold my Eco before I finished it to get a Corona and I don't regret it one bit.

Just my .02

-Stephen
Old 02-11-2003, 04:12 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Hey, honestly, I'm not familiar with the Concept or Eco but I own a Corona which I just got maybe only a few weeks ago and prior to the Corona I had a micro heli for a couple of weeks which I could only get to hovering maybe a few seconds at a time, then when I got the Corona, my learning accelerated bigtime, I'm about on my eleventh or twelvth pack now and I can hover for the whole charge which is about 5 minutes with my 7.2 2400 pack. Best of all, I've crashed it about 5 times and once from approximately 12 feet or so into a propane tank and all together I've broken one tail fin, chipped two main rotors which I still use and works fine, lost one Z clip and a ping pong ball off my training gear, haha, total repair cost was about $5. It is a fixed pitch which doesn't allow 3D but I think it'll be a long while before I'm ready for 3D anyway and there are a lot of experienced guys who still keep their Corona's around even though they have graduated into CP heli's. It's fun and durable and I've heard that if you can fly the Corona, you can fly any heli, so it should be a great heli to learn on for experience too. Definitely can't go wrong. I'm sure you could learn on your Concept just fine though, just gotta be patient which is very hard, all of my crashes was just from being impatient and flying in the wind, flying with insufficient space etc. because I just couldn't wait to fly. If you train right, you can definitely lower the amount of crashes.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:39 AM
Lost Horizon

The Corona is a good place to start, but if you think you'll carry on, get a good radio if you can swing it, so that the next machine should be something like a Logo (which will require 120 deg swash). I learned on the simulator first, then a FP piccolo (hard sledding !) and then on to the Logo 10. By the time I got to the Logo, it was a snap, and it made me look better than I actually was.

here's my progression:

http://rceheli.com/stories/1042845958/index_html

good luck!

Dana
Old 02-14-2003, 12:06 PM
rscamp

Well written article, Dana!

Rob
Old 02-15-2003, 03:16 AM
E-gpeden

Hi k_ogre

I learned on an elelctrified LMH110, which is the precursor to the Corona. It really helped me learn quickly and I jumped right into the LOGO 20 without any problems. I figure there are 2 good ways to go:
1/ Built a Corona, fly the pi%& out of it for a few months and then move up to a LOGO 10.
2/ Go for the LOGO 10 right from the get-go and work out on the flight sim LOTS. Nowadays many people are learning to fly with CP helis without any major mishaps thanks to the great flight sims available.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:20 AM
bsumpter

I have both the Corona and the EP Concept. I really enjoy both of them, but for different reasons.

The Corona is as tough as nails, and was my primary trainer when I was just starting out. I remember crashing at least 10 times in a row the first day I had it. After straightening the boom that night I flew it again the next day, and flew (crashed) many more times before finally breaking the boom in two. That set me back $2 for an aluminum arrow of the same size at the local archery shop. If you've never flown, the Corona will serve you well.

The EP Concept is a finiky machine, but after sorting out it's various issues it is a great flying heli. Nothing serious, mind you, but it doesn't fall into place as easily as the Corona does. It flys much nicer due to the increased weight and collective pitch. It's also larger (rotor diameter), and seems to settle into a hover much nicer. Parts are not really a big issue right now, contrary to popular opinion. What Tower doesn't have in stock can be bought directly from Japan -- the Concept is much more popular there. The parts do not come as cheaply as do the Coronas, however.

So I'd suggest keeping the Concept as your 2nd heli, and getting a Corona to learn on if money allows. I've never had an Eco, but from what I've read I'm sure its more fragile than the Corona.

For a simple video of the Concept in-flight, visit (right click and "Save Target As"):

http://rclibrary.com/vids/EP_Concept.mpg (45 MB)

This is just some hovering in the back yard, as I'm a fairly new pilot myself. Not really worth downloading if you don't have broadband. Just thought you may want to see how one flys once it's dialed in.

Hope this helps,
Old 07-21-2004, 07:01 AM
Mhale71

Default RE: e-heli what one's best for 1 one

ok im bringing this thread back to life for one reason, bsumper, could you please post that concept hover video somewhere again because its not at rclibrary anymore, please?

thanks, mike
Old 08-21-2004, 11:22 AM
bsumpter

Default RE: e-heli what one's best for 1 one

Sorry it took so long to reply to the thread.

Video is now back online: http://rclibrary.com/vids/EP_Concept.mpg (Right Click - Save Target As)

This is not a very high quality video, and is from quite some time back so don't expect any fancy flying. I also had the old brushed motor in the Concept during this video -- it flies so much better with Hacker power and decent FRP blades. The foamies are shown in the video.

I have some recent footage of the Concept somewhere. If I get some time I'll try to digitize it and upload it for you.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Brian