Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Need help buying a heli.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Need help buying a heli.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 12:24 PM
RaymondLJIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help buying a heli.

Hey. I'm looking to buy an electric heli. I'm new to this area and don't know all the technical stuff, so I came here for help. I've looked at a lot of helis and like the looks of the Eco 8 or 16. Has anyone ever flown these. And in the future I want to mount a wireless cam on the heli. I saw an Eco that had one mounted on it. Has anyone ever seen another heli that comes with a cam or one that is easy to mount a cam onto??? And what are the best electric helis? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:37 PM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

You may want to consider the Logo 10 or 20. Honestly I've never flown an Eco 8 but from what I hear, I know for one it is very fragile in stock config. It is really light which is good for run times but not good for stability, gets thrown around in winds whereas the Logo 10 is solid in the wind. The Eco also requires probably a couple hundred dollars in upgrades to equal the flyability of the Logo 10 out of the box. Of course the Logo 10 is $100 or so more than the Eco but you get what you pay for...

Owning a Logo 10 and reading about other's experiences, I would have to say the Logo 10 is hands down the best heli in it's class.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Wright Flyer

If you're new to helis all together I think you'll find the Eco's too fragile (they're known for being even more fragile than most!).

The standard suggestion for a beginner here is to get a www.litemachines.com LMH Corona 120 as it's the perfect beginner e-heli. It's as tough as old boots and being fixed pitch it's nice and simple to set up. It's bigger than micros like Hummingbird/Piccolo/etc. which makes it easier to fly but it's not so big as to be intimidating for a beginner. The perfect size. Oh and did I say? - it's as tough as old boots. The average bill after the inevitable crash is $0-$5, for most helis you'd be in $50+ territory!

The way most people here progress is to start with a Corona. Learn the basics of heli flight and THEN trade up to a more complicated collective pitch heli such as the Eco8, Logo10, JR Voyager E, Robbe Eolo, Concept EP, etc. Of those the very best is the Logo but not everyone can afford it, the current "popular choice" for a second, cheaper than a Logo, CP e-heli is the Robbe Eolo. It's only been out for about a year and is therefore a more "modern" design than some of the others that has been able to benefit of hindsight and seeing what's wrong with the others.

Cliff
(started with Corona awaiting an Eolo)
Old 09-01-2003, 02:19 PM
RaymondLJIII

The Coronas look like pretty good helis for a beginner, but how do they perform? About how high do you think they can go? Also, they had many combos w/ almost everything you need to get started.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:20 PM
astronut30

The Corona is nice and stable, they perform very well.

How high can it go? It can go as high as you can see it...

Don't get the package deals, get everything seperately, you can get a better components for about the same price or not too much more...
Old 09-01-2003, 11:43 PM
RaymondLJIII

That sounds good. Know of a good place that sells most of the components I would need? Heck, I don't really even know what the "good" brands would be.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:31 AM
nitro-Al

can any one tell what a logo 10 goes for?
Old 09-02-2003, 01:43 AM
astronut30

The kit goes for $339...

As far as the rest, it depends what components you get.

Average probably around $1100-1300 to set it up with a nice brushless set up, rx, gyro, servos etc...

Mine was about $1400 or so with JR 3021 servos on cyclic, Hitec 5245mg digital for tail, gy 401, Hacker B50 13L, 48-3p. CF fins, battery support and gyro mount. Aluminum swash plus cf tail blades...
Old 09-02-2003, 01:46 AM
nitro-Al

Default price of logo

thanks i figured around 1500
Old 09-02-2003, 01:49 AM
astronut30

Originally posted by RaymondLJIII
That sounds good. Know of a good place that sells most of the components I would need? Heck, I don't really even know what the "good" brands would be.
You can get the basic kit, atomic force motor, Castle Creations Pegasus 35 esc, Dean's whip antenna from www.Roffeetvhobby.com they have the best price on the kit i've seen.

If you don't have a radio, you can get a Hitec Laser 4 with 3 hs-81 metal gear servos and an rx for $157.95 shipped from www.servocity.com

You can get a Futaba gy 240 either with Roffee's also or from www.helihut.com

that should cover everything except for batteries... should come out to just over $500+shipping
Old 09-02-2003, 01:53 AM
astronut30

Default Re: price of logo

Originally posted by nitro-Al
thanks i figured around 1500
you.re definitely in good shape, you can add on a few more goodies too like aluminum ball raced washout, cf blades and boom etc. I'm working on it, though the logo doesn't need it, it's awesome right out of the box!
Old 09-04-2003, 11:00 PM
nitro-Al

Default logo 10 extras

Thank you so much thats a great set-up, money is a little tight right now. i'm working on a nitroTC3 kit and trying to upgrade my monster truck but when income tax refunds come i think that the logo 10 will be my spring project i'll defintly be in touch. thanks again
Old 09-05-2003, 03:12 AM
astronut30

I remember them days, I had to nitro tc3's, 2 tmaxx's , emaxx, Tamiya TGR, all decked out, when I got into heli's, sold them all one by one.

Heli's are super addicting, plus for me, once I flew heli's, I just couldn't mess with my cars and trucks anymore, no fun. Shoot I'd rather fly heli for an hour than stay at the track all day Sunday, haha.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Hivoltage
My Feedback: (3)

Default Logo10

I have had a corona, and now have a Logo10 and there is NO comparison in the way the 2 fly or hover. The Logo is way better, of course it costs way more too.!!!

If you just want to goof around, get a corona, if you want to really learn to fly, skip the corona stage and go right to the Logo. If you like the corona, you will want to move up anyhow.

Also check out the Eolo....I am just frimming mine out now, and it seems very nice.!!

Just my opinion.!!!!
Old 09-05-2003, 05:42 PM
astronut30

Check it out, someone is working on a cp mod plus a lot of aluminum goodies for the Corona finally. I believe it was Choppahedz, anyway, this person used to work for Lite Machines too, he says the eta is around Christmas. They are also making a bunch of carbon and aluminum goodies for it too. There's lots of neat goodies coming out for the Corona nowdays, man if there was a cp mod etc. when I still had my Corona, I would probably still have it. I do miss it though, the Corona is a blast, mainly because it's so relaxed because you know you're not gonna break the bank if you crash, the logo 10 on the other hand, I just spend $200+ on it after a crash a few weeks ago, not I'm gun shy just taking it easy, I wish I had a Corona while i was waiting for parts, hehe. I'm getting me another Corona real soon! Can't go wrong with a Corona, there's always room for one of those.

I honestly feel it will still be second to none in durability even as a cp bird and by the way the fp flies, I feel the cp version will be up on top as far as 3D and flyability goes.... I think the Corona's about to be even huuuuger than ever before.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Venture30

Default RE: Need help buying a heli.

Always check LHS and internet for part avalibility before you buy your heli. If your new and don't have someone local to help you can't go wrong with the lmh corona. Later, Dave