Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hitec

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 01:27 PM
rms59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec

Hi,
I'm new here. I have been flying planes for about 50 years and now I want to buy a heli. I have determined from all the posts, that the Corona would be my best choice. I have also chosen (from the posts) the batteries, motor, landing gear, and the HS81 servos.
However, nobody mentions the TX or RX. Would I be going wrong if I bought the complete Hitec system, or is mix and match better.
I have several "airplane" systems (Cirrus 72mHZ with stnd size servos) but not sure if those would work. are the servos in a heli smaller?
Also, Im a little confused on the Gyro. Does the heli come with one?
Thanks
Old 09-10-2003, 09:10 AM
JoeR
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hitec

I have a Corona so I can try to answer your questions.

The heli does not come with a gyro. You will need to get one. The Futuba GY-240 is considered the standard on the Corona. It offers heading hold function which will make hovering easier. The Corona can be flown with the inexpensive piezio (sp?) gyros also (like the GWS PG-03). But you will have to direct the tail actively.

At an RC show in Toledo in April of this year LMH was showing a prototype of an updated mechnical gyro for the Corona. They said it works better then an electronic. They were thinking it might be ready for sale this fall. (There is a hobby show in Chicago this week where they may be introducing this and other upgrades).

As far as radios, the Corona will work with any 4 channel radio. If you have one for your planes then just keep using it. If/when you move up to a collective pitch helicopter then you can buy a new raido.

Use any 4 channel receiver as well. As with anything lighter is better.

Standard servos are too large/heavy. The servo mount locations on the Corona are sized for HS-81s or similar. Remember lighter is better. I would also recommend metal gear servos. If you go with nylon gears have a few extra gear sets available for when you need them.

Let us know if you have any more questions. Joe
Old 09-10-2003, 01:21 PM
rms59

Thanks Joe.....
That was a tremendous help.
One more thing though. Do I need to buy an ESC for this too?
I am really a beginner in helicopters, but have flown airplanes for years.
This is what I'm thinking I need so far...Correct/comments please.

1. Corona heli basic package. http://www.helihobby.com/html/corona_heli_kits.html
2. Atomic force motor
3. Charger
4. Sanyo HRSC2600 battery pack.
5. Gyro (futaba gy240)
6. Training wheels
7. Probably a new Hitec RC 4 channel system
8. ESC (dont know what kind)

This is all I can think of.......Thanks for any comments
Dick
Old 09-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

Dick - You'll get a better deal(-$) at http://www.roffeetvhobby.com/contact_us.htm. Talk with Mike he flys what he sells and has the lowest prices for all the good stuff you will want. The Fusion motor is junk. Short brush life. short flight times, yada yada yada
You really should consider going brushless from the start. You will not regret it. Also consider LiPoly packs from ThunderPower, much better than NiMh batteries. Good time for you to be exploring the options.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:05 AM
JoeR
My Feedback: (2)

Yes you will need a speed control. Castle creations makes a 35 amp heli speed control (Pegasus 35) that most people use with a brushed motor. Jeti also makes a 30 amp brushed ESC for heli applications. The important features of a heli esc are no prop brake (or brake disabled) and no low voltage cut off (LVC). You will most likely be unable to hover if before the LVC cuts the motor. But you don't want the motor to cut out at any time as the heli will fall like a rock.

Hoverup is right about a brushless motor. Almost a necessity with a heli. Absolutely maintenance free (no brushes to change or comms to clean/turn, and no sparking). They also offer longer flight time since they are more efficient.

You can get all this stuff from Roffe as Hoverup recommends. Great prices and excellent service.

I still have not gone LiPo as they are still too expensive for me. SubCs cells either the Sanyo 2600 or the GP 3300 offer 8 + minutes flying time (some people have said they get upto 12 min. with a brushless motor and the GP 3300s) . That is enough time for me before I take a break. I fly with 3-7 cells packs. I divide my time between helis and planes.

The Deans antenna that LMH recommends is good because you don't need to worry about long receiver antenna.

Don't forget the LMH oil, grease. You will also need removeable thread lock.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:28 PM
rms59

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. You are right about Roffee Hobbys. I bought almost all of the stuff from him. Price couldn't be beat and his delivery took only 3 days to CT. I never got a chance to talk to Mike, his mom (I think) did all the work for me.
I have the Corona almost finished, and it was a lot of fun building.
I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon
Thanks.