Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Good start for a noob on a budget?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Good start for a noob on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Twistedwrench78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good start for a noob on a budget?

So I recently got the helicopter bug and was thinking about getting this setup to start with. One concern is that it is CP and from the research I've done that is going to make it very difficult to learn to fly, however I love a good challenge. If I am patient enough and put my time in I believe I can conquer it and move closer towards something larger, my goal is to get to something like a 450 3d eventually. As far as price/durability/quality goes is this a good starting point? This really is a great site and just a wealth of info and I am looking forward to beginning/progressing into the hobby.

Blade mCP x v2 BNF $129.99
Spektrum DX6i TX $139.99
2 additional batteries for the bird $9.49 each
Old 04-22-2013, 05:46 AM
ATVAlliance

Default RE: Good start for a noob on a budget?

You cant beat the mCPX as a good trainer CP heli.

If your end goal is to fly CP helis, which 99% of us that is our exact goal...the mCPX will get you flying.  But, you should also get a decent SIM to learn at least how to hover with first.

I started with Clear View and still recommend it because its a 40 dollar purchase/download.  I have since upgraded to Phoenix and like it better...but still, clear view will get you a SIM on the cheap.  I taught myself to fly on it.

The best thing about the mCPX is the durability.  Once you get familiar with hovering/flying on the sim...the mCPX will be the SIM brought to life.  Meaning when you crash you dont have to go and rebuild the heli.  Simply pick it up and look over a few key areas and fly it again.

Ive crashed my mCPX more times than I can remember and have broken very few parts along the way.  And when I did break a part...it was only a few bucks cost to replace it.

Common broken parts on the mCPX are...

landing gear
canopy
feathering shaft
tail boom
main frame (only the standoffs are prone to break that hold the canopy on.  frame itself doesnt break)
swash

The most expensive part listed above is about 12 or 14 bucks.  And that would the either the tail boom assembly or swash assembly(cant remember which).  The rest of the items are under 10 dollars.   So you should be able to see how economical this heli is when used as a trainer heli.

I wouldnt hesitate one moment to pull the trigger on this purchase.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Tman49
My Feedback: (1)

Twistedwrench78,
I don't own the mCP. A friend has 1. It seemed an ok starter heli. I have the Blade msr which is a fixed pitch heli. I've had the heli bug 20 months now and on a low budget also. You wouldn't know it so much if you saw what's in my hanger. So either I'm in the wrong hobby or I better stop crashing. So since I'm on the topic of $$, there's several ways you can enjoy this hobby and save some $. Invest in a sim, and practice. You've probably heard that before. The $ spent on a sim can save you from a crash that would cost much more.

Also, unless you're a diehard must have-it-new type of person, look for deals second-hand. The only thing I insist on buying new are batteries. I've lucked up on some killer deals. Just takes some time to research your items. When you get a used heli, be prepared to learn about what makes it work by taking it apart and rebuilding, repairing it. Sites like this is a good place to find a deal. Also continue to ask questions about anything. I always check threads for info to help me out.

Just my $.02 worth
Good luck!
Thomas
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM
cubaneight

Make sure that you read up on the theory side of model helicopters and how to set them up. http://www.raptortechnique.com/index-raptor.html is a brilliant site, read it from start to finish.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Twistedwrench78

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and made the purchase and will spend the time waiting for it to show up at my house by reading the setup article over and over. I am also going to purchase the SIM as suggested, it only makes sense to get most of my flying bugs/crashes worked out there and cost me less in the real world. Thanks again and have a great day!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Twistedwrench78

WOW! I have had my mCPx v2 and try to fly it with a Dx6i TX since the 25th of this month. Before this I have only flown Airhogs from walmart, what a learning curve. Anyway I just had my first successful hover with a good landing and am stoked. This little heli is tough I mean I have bounced it off of just about every piece of furniture and some of my applianaces in my house and so far have only broken 3 of the little plastic linkages on the rotors but still have one spare. I cant wait to get more experienced and explore/build a collection of more helis. I just had to rave about this, thanks for reading.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:00 PM
ATVAlliance

Glad you are enjoying the mCPX.  I never thought the little thing could fly as "BIG" as it does.

It really is a great trainer heli to learn how to fly CP helis with.  Of course this is my opinion, but Im sure many others will share it.

goodluck!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:16 AM
dghmukwen

You wouldn't know it so much if you saw what's in my hanger