Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

ECO 8 or 16??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 04:28 PM
NitroMedic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECO 8 or 16??

Good afternoon my friends,

I was just wondering about some of the pros & cons about the ECO electrics? Are they worth the money? Do they handle pretty decent? Are they a good copter for a 1st timer?

Thanks in advance,
Shayne'o
Old 10-18-2003, 11:39 AM
Dodgey99

Default RE: ECO 8 or 16??

Hi mate. I have an 8 and spend a fair bit of time on the Ikarus board.

1) eco 16 - forget about it. Hardly anyone flies one. The heli is simply too fragile for the weight and power of 16 cells.
2) Eco 8 - great budget helil. Build quality is average. Quite breakable.

On the 8 you'll have to also buy the boom support kit (or you will never be able to run decent gain on a HH gyro).

The Eco is a cheap starter, but you do need to spend a few quid getting it right, and the stock motors don't last long.

It flies OK, BUT it is seriously affected by ANY wind conditions. Put it this way, I can fly my Eolo (smaller) in wind. The Eco 8 is a nightmare in any breeze/wind.

I'm getting a Logo 20 because calm weather is not too common!

The 8 was my first heli. And I think - yes, it is a good first timer as it does not cost too much. Advice - unless you love it, don't sink a fortune into brushless etc as when you upgrade to a larger heli none of it will be any good to you. The heli itself costs peanuts. It's the radio , servos, gyro, brushless, lipos etc that cost.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:18 PM
NitroMedic

Hi there Dodgey!!!

Thanks for the insightful info! Ok, here's an idea....let's say that I have the extra funds ($800-$900US) and I was looking for a really nice 1st timer that I didn't have to add alot of hop-ups to just to make it a "decent" heli, right? What would you recommend? I'm getting a G2 Simulator in the next xouple weeks so I won't even be attempting to fire a heli up until I have the G2 mastered.

Thanks a million,
Shayne
Old 10-18-2003, 05:06 PM
drivercrazy23

I would say go with the jr venture ep(jr's only electric heli) or the logo 20. or go with a gas helicopter to start. Nitro's are actualy cheaper because you dont ahve to buy the brushless motor/controller or the batteries. I my self is looking to get in to helicopters. i've been doing tons of research for the past 4-5 months. Im finding alot of information about helicopters and everything. It is a deffinant good idea to get the g2 simulator first then get the heli. I have been flying planes and racing car's/boats and just about everything so I dont need the simulator as much as u might although im not sure of your back ground of flying or just rc'ing period. Good luck on your choice and happy flying.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:56 PM
NitroMedic

Hey DriverCrazyDude!!

I've been doing R/C for about 3 yrs. now. I've raced nitro & electric off-road trucks (stadium) from the start. I've recently built & raced my very 1st gas boat (Avenger by Aeromarine) with a fully mod'ed Zenoah260. This baby S~C~R~E~A~M~S!!!! I love it!! Although, I have already thought about going straight into the HeliGassers since I already have the engine & radio gear. Of course, this will only be AFTER I master the Simulator! :-) Thanks for your insight & happy flying!

Shayne'o
Old 10-27-2003, 11:27 PM
E-gpeden

Hi there Shayne,

If you want to do it right the first time, get a LOGO 10! It could very well be the only heli you ever need.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:57 AM
gliderpilot69

I agree with e-peden. I have a Logo 10. I got a brushless setup for it and it flies great. No upgrades required. There are some out there but that can come later. It also handles the wind pretty good. Once I got it initially setup I haven't had to do anything with it. I just fly it. I give it and all my other aircraft a good pre and post flight inspection. I usually have to tinker and fiddle with my Hornet after a couple of flights. Not the Logo.

Cheers,

Shannon
Old 10-28-2003, 08:24 AM
NitroMedic

Good morning my friends!!

I'm curious, can the Logo 10 be mod'ed fairly easy to be a scale heli? Also, how big is the bird?

Thanks a million,
Shayne
Old 10-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Wright Flyer

And if you can't afford a Logo 10 then the Robbe Eolo is probably the next best choice. These are more modern designs than the Eco and benefit from a lot of hindsight!

Cliff
Old 10-28-2003, 02:23 PM
E-gpeden

Hi Shayne,

The LOGO 10 can be made to fit .30 size scale fuselages by installing the stretch boom or even the LOGO 16 boom. Belts for these are availavble.

If you wander into my website there's lots of info there, as well as a link to my EZone review and a link to the manufacturer.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:21 PM
NitroMedic

Heyyyy Mr. Glen!!!

You have the LogoHeli website??? I spent 3 HOURS on there this morning! LOL I gotta say, that has to be one of the best "teaching" websites I've ever came across. There was so much info in there I ended up printing out over THIRTY pages of info that I found useful. And I still didn't cover everything. A++....that's all I can say, A++!! I plan on spending time on there on a regular basis now!

Thanks again,
Shayne
Old 11-23-2003, 10:40 PM
helifrek
My Feedback: (2)

Hey there,
I have been flying for about 4-5 years now and I have owned many heli's, including the eco-8, hornet (fp and cp), piccolo and many other nitro heli's. I am now waiting for my new eco-8 I just bought, and I'm sinking a few $$$'s into it. going brushless with all carbon fiber and aluminum upgrades. I can't say I prefer any heli over another, all of them have advantages and disadvantages, but with the right setup, you can fly almost any anywhere, I used to fly my cp hornet in VERY gusty conditions. Sure it would shoot up about 30ft on a strong gust but you can't let yourself panic, I can't do 3d or many tricks but I will fly any heli in any condition anyday. anyways, if I was going to go with any e-heli I personally like the eco-8 due to the many upgrades, and it's size and price, plus parts are readily available. anyways, theres my two cents. if anyone at all knows where I can get a fuselage for the eco-8 besides the jetranger and BO-105, let me know. I found a nice bell 222 but I can't find anyone selling them. thanks alot, just e-mail me at [email protected] if you know. thanks all.

Brandon
Old 11-23-2003, 11:07 PM
NitroMedic

Heyyyy Brandon!!

Just a quick question....What are the measurements of the ECO 8? How big is the bird?

Thanks,
Shayne
Old 11-24-2003, 03:23 PM
Dodgey99

Nitro - Go to the Ikarus web site for dimensions - they are all there.

As for your heli choice, I'dd add.....

Electric - sod gas. I had gas cars. Far too much of a mess, pain, and field kit. Lipos now give you over half an hour flight time on one charge. And you don't annoy anyone with the noise. I honestly thing gas days are numbered. Ican fire my heli up in the loung for testing purposes, when I get withdrawl :-)

The Eco 8 - Had mine for a while, and honestly, it's just too fragile. Sneeze and something breaks. And as for wind - it's a nighmare. I've flown my Eolo R22 in wind, and the fact is is years and years younger really shows.

Go on, get a Logo, 10 or 20. I'm going for 20 as I like a big heli.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:29 PM
NitroMedic

Hey Dodgey!!

Thanks for the insight bro! I'm really leaning towards a larger heli also. I've heard about "nightmares" those smaller birds can cause and I'd really like to stay away from that.

One last question....Can I install a BO-105 fuse on a Logo 20?

Thanks a million,
Shayne
Old 11-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Gazoo

Robbie Eolo PRO looks good too.

http://www.rchover.com/
Old 11-26-2003, 08:11 AM
NitroMedic

Heyyy Gazoo!!

Thanks for the website! That really does look like a sweet bird.

Thanks again,
Shayne
Old 11-27-2003, 12:43 AM
helifrek
My Feedback: (2)

Hey, from the tip of the heli to the t/r measures 2 ft and seven inches w/o canopy.... it's just under a foot tall. the frame is only about an inch wide and the skids are about 6 1/2 inches apart. I just got the heli today, it is beautiful. can't wait to get the upgrades for it. anyways, talk to you guys later....

Brandon