Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Complete Heli Newbie has a question!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Complete Heli Newbie has a question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 01:51 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Heli Newbie has a question!

Or two...

Always been rather facinated by helis. Never could get over the price though (that from a guy who's about to spend $1500ish on a 28% Edge540T...). Lately I've been seeing this super deal on the FUN Piccolo for $1 with the combo package. So the big question is, how is it for a heli trainer? How is it's durability?

Thanks! And my apologies if this topic has been drilled into the ground before... I did a search without finding anything worthwhile.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:00 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Complete Heli Newbie has a question!

The piccolo is fine as a first heli, as far as micro-helis go. You should be warned that these are not as stable as bigger nitro helis. They are twitchy and must be actively flown. But OH, so addicting... :-D And the Fixed Pitch piccolo is wonderful for flying in your livingroom.
If you are considering a piccolo, here are a [link=http://www.ikarus-modellbau.de/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=138982&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1]few[/link] - [link=http://www.pgoelz.com/piccolo1.html]good[/link] - [link=http://www.dream-models.com/h/flying-index.html]links[/link] that should help get you going.
I prefer seperate components rather than the piccoboard, but both are useable.
I STRONGLY prefer Lithium Polymer batteries rather than Nicad or NiMH.

Here's what I would get.
Fun Kit
Bearings upgrade.
Aluminum hub
CNC Antirotation link
CMS HLG200 Head Holding Gyro
Whatever micro-receiver works with your transmitter
2 speed controls (GWS ICS100 main and GWS ICS50 tail) or (2 Pixie7P)
2 cell LiPo batteries, more than 1000mAh and charger

Buy or make a training undercarriage.

This package can be flown with any 4 channel transmitter, and has all th4 upgrades that make a difference in stability without making it impossible for a newbie to set up.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:08 PM
3DFanatic

Some good info, thanks! I can't imagine that it would be as stable. Think some expo would make it a bit less twitchy?

I figured up the cost of seperate components and it actually comes up a tad bit less then the deal from Ikarus. I've got a Futaba 9C so I think I'm covered on the TX end Just have to dig out the manual again and read the heli section.

How long a flight time should I expect from a 2s1p 1000mAh Lipoly?

Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2004, 04:27 PM
drevil

The piccolo fun is a pretty good heli to learn on as long as you know before you buy anything that you WILL be buying replacement parts very soon and often...LOL Especially if you are like me and don't have a huge room with a smooth floor to practice/learn in.
I got my piccolo fun for this christmas and have been having a blast ever since. On my first flight i had a small tip over that broke a small plastic pin off the center hub. I'm learning in a relatively small room with a carpet so tip overs were very common on my first few flights.
I'm on about my 7th or 8th pack and have now just started being able to hover for maybe 20-30 seconds at a time. Probably not even that long come to think of it.
I have since destroyed my landing gear. After a few CA fixes i have broken the parts again and again and now they (and my boom) are stressed to the point that i need replacements.
All in all i have to agree with Vince and say that these things are absolutely addicting. Every time i crash i get mad and think of throwing the whole thing in a box and throwing it in the nearest closet...LOL BUT i always find myself going back and fixing what i can and ordering what i couldnt fix and i'm in the air again!
Looking back i do believe i should have gotten a training gear kit because it probably would have saved my some cash but we live and learn.
I've been into R/C model cars for 12+ years and have always loved running them but heli's are on a whole other level!!! There's nothing like that first hover.
Mike
Old 01-07-2004, 06:25 PM
3DFanatic

Yes, I've commited to getting some CF rod and a few ping-pong balls before I try.

Till now I've only flown helis in the sim (the Impala trainer). I've always said that's the only place to fly them 'cause it won't cost you anything. Now I've kinda been looking for something to dink with. I don't want to spend the money on even a 30-size machine. This little bugger caught my eye. Something to fly in the living room on a rainy day or on the back patio on a calm evening.

Hey, where can I get that HLG200 around here? Looked for it on the web, the only places I found were in Europe (how much is 58 pounds anyhow?).
Old 01-07-2004, 07:42 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helihobby has the factory lightened CSM for $89.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:39 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

to tell you the truth i cant fly with the training gear, the only way it made it easier was when i took it off it made me be able too fly better because i was used to it being a lot more unstable. i packaged mine back up and took it back, but to some people it seems to be better to have them , which i geuss to get the feel of the controls and save the money for replacements.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:27 AM
3DFanatic

Just looked up HeliHobby. Spotted the pic of the ARF without the canopy on. There's nothing to this thing! Also noticed there's a big long thing about shipping without actually saying how much shipping is... I noticed HobbyLobby also carries it. In their '02 catalog it's $110 so I'm gonna go see if they've lowered their price. There's a big ol' Model Expo coming up here at the end of the month. I'll look there for a hot deal. If I dont' find one I guess I'll mail-order.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-08-2004, 05:15 AM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

What are the dates for Puwallup?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:14 PM
ko6kc

While searching the net for a CSM HLG200, I found this place:
[link=http://dreamhobbies.com/piccolo_accessories.htm]http://dreamhobbies.com/piccolo_accessories.htm[/link]

Randy
Old 01-09-2004, 01:39 AM
3DFanatic

The Puyallup NW Model Expo is running January 31 and February 1 from 9 to 5 Saturday and 9 to 4 Sunday. Tickets are $6 at the gate and $5 by mail (advance ticket requests must be in by January 15)
[link=http://www.nwmodelexpo.com]www.nwmodelexpo.com[/link] for more information. Hope to see ya there!

Wowie, that Draemhobbies site is a hard one to navigate. Some good prices though. I like that GWS gyro for $50
Old 01-14-2004, 12:43 AM
wacachu2

No need to buy expensive CF rods for training gear. Go to Walmart and get 2 small 3' dowels, cheap ping pong balls and a pack of small zip ties. Mine cost me about $3 total and works fine.

Walt