Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

what to buy for first humming bird?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

what to buy for first humming bird?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 07:58 PM
rc12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to buy for first humming bird?

O.K. I have been to century looking at their humming bird. Aft er alittle conviniceing buy you guys I decided to buy one. I was thinking of buying the 264.95 deal which comes with everything to start. Now where I need help. How many extra main blades and tail blades should I buy? This is my first heli so will probably break alot of things on the heli.

should I buy 2 extra main blades and 4 extra tail blades or what?

How many exta battery packs?

how many Chargers?

Any heat sinks?

any extra moters or performance moters.

I need help!!! 0n what to buy.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:15 PM
rc12

Default RE: what to buy for first humming bird?

any sujestions?
Old 01-22-2004, 08:28 PM
tomflier

Main motor---- I wish the first thing I would have done was to buy a Brushless setup because I will not need a new motor for a VERY VERY VERY long time. The first motor went out after 3 hours of flight time. Then I bought another stock motor, then it wore out, so I bought an upgraded brushed motor which didn't really have good performance and by the time it was all said and done I could have been very close to buying a Brushless after all the replacent brushed motors.

So I would make sure you like helis while your on the first motor and after it wears out go brushless......................................... ........
2 sets of mains will be ok 3 might be better to be on the safe side and 3 tail rotors should be enough.
The stock chargers suck so try and buy a suitable peak charger

YES on heatsinks, buy one or two for the main and one for the tail...This will help them last longer...

whoooo
tomflier
Old 01-22-2004, 08:36 PM
rc12

So from what you said I think I will buy 3mains 4tails (to be on the safe side) and a peak charger. Should I buy two peak chargers or one and does century sell them or do I have to go some where else? ok 2 brushless moters and what size? you said 1 will be adaquate but I like being on the safe size cuz I hate havening to wait a week after I just waited one. I might want to buy 2 peak chargers and 2 extra batteries so I can have a rotation and fly alot. Any comments I will be right back going to add up the totals.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:34 PM
tomflier

A brushless setup will cost about $120 and you won't have to buy another motor. It depends on your budget on what you want the heli to be setup with........

You only need one peak charger and yes century sells them.

2 batteries would be good.

tomflier
Old 01-22-2004, 09:41 PM
rc12

oh k one peak charger, One brushless.I still need what size, and a peakcharger. Thx I will buy them as soon as possible!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:51 PM
tomflier

I would go with the Astro 010 10T with stock motor pinion and Castle Creations Phoenix 10 ESC from www.b-p-p.com (they sell it as a combo)

Charger-
The Hobbico MKII seems to be a good deal and if you upgrade to lipoly batteries it will be compatible.
Helihobby and towerhobbies sells the charger...

tomflier
Old 01-23-2004, 01:01 AM
Schafe

I wouldn't recommend the cheapest deal from Century. They provide a mixer/gyro in one board with that option. There is no way to upgrade the gyro if you want to w/o buying a new mixer. The radio in the cheap deal is fine - I suspect Futaba actually makes it.

I broke 3 or 4 tail rotor blades before I broke 1 main rotor blade. Make sure the tail rotor blades you get are the newer/longer ones. They seem to work better for me.

I use the Triton charger. It works great. I purchased a 12 volt power supply from Radio Shack to power it - the 10 amp one since I also charge RC car batteries.

Get training gear. After you get the basic idea of flying, it will fly much better w/o the gear, but they are very useful to learn with.

I have had no problems with the motors Century provides. I have a lot of flights on them and they show no sign of failing.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:04 PM
rc12

then what deal should I get?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:38 AM
Schafe

I think that either of the $315 options would be fine. I have no experience w/either brand of radio. Make sure when you order that they are providing a mixer with a separate gyro. The picture shows it this way, but I have found small errors in Century's website when it comes to pictures, etc. Looking back, I wish I had purchased the better radio system. The mixer/gyro board works fine, it's just that if you want to upgrade to a better gyro, you will have to also get a new mixer.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:05 AM
rc12

Yeah I was trying to find a unpainted jet ranger fuse untill I found out that it was listed as a bell 222 fuse.