Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

"Separates" question: Arming the tail ESC

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

"Separates" question: Arming the tail ESC

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Coasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Separates" question: Arming the tail ESC

Last weekend I converted my HB II to a brushless main motor with a Phoenix 10 ESC. A Pixie 7 ESC runs the tail motor.
It works great so far. One minor annoyance is a bit of torque steer on the nose when I get on or off the power. If I turn the gyro up enough to compensate for it I get excessive tail wag - bit otherwise I really enjoy the setup.

One question though in regard to the Pixie 7. I have trouble getting it to arm - seems I have to run the throttle up to 100% for a few seconds then back down for a few to get it to go.

I also see it blinking in single, double and triple flash patterns. It's NOT in programming mode as I've successfully navigated through the various options - this is just after power is applied and before the ESC arms. I've read through the docs but have found no mention as to what these signals mean.

One question on the Phoenix 10. When power is applied it plays a series of tones, but only if the power has been off for more than 15 seconds or so. If I cycle the power more quickly I don't hear the tones...again, them manual does not explain these.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: "Separates" question: Arming the tail ESC

I just make sure my trim is all the way down and I hold the throttle all the way to the left for about 3-5 sec.....then its all good. I have no problem with it anymore once I learned that for the pixi7p
Old 06-02-2004, 06:11 AM
Coasty

Holding left interferes with the boot-up of my head hold gyro, which needs to see a neutral tail rotor command in order to determine where the stick "center" is. You should not have to do any thing other than have the throttle at it's lowest point to get it to arm.

I have to raise the throttle to max for a couple seconds - then lower it, then stand on one leg, then hop backwards three times - then it will arm. It nothing more than a pain in the butt.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:59 AM
justin_92_92

Uhm I have pretty much the same setup as you. I have had no problems with my hh gyro that is the same as yours. Set throttle to lowest point. turn on tx. plug in helicopter to battery....then pull the rudder all the way left but still in the down postion...hold for 3-5 seconds and the tail will twitch..letting you know it is armes......but make sure when you plug in the helicopter you wait 3-5 sec before doing anything to let the main esc arm. this should work.....just try it and let me know what happens...

NOTE: you will see the tail twitch a small bit to let you know it is armed.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Coasty

I've tried it...I can get it to arm and have been flying with it.

But still - you're not supposed to have the rudder stick in any other position other than center when the CSM gyro boots. Your CSM gyro manual will tell you that this is when the gyro determines the centering position of your transmitters rudder stick. I have enough bad stuff going on with the tail rotor now to introduce more variables...

In fact I don't need to hold any rudder to get it to arm, just have to hold full throttle for about 4 seconds while holding the heli (blade smacked my wrist once doing this), then throttle down to 0 for about about 2 seconds. This - according to the Pixie 7 manual is unnecessary.

If the throttle is in the low position after power up the Pixie 7 should arm with none of these "throttle up, hold the stick over, hop on one leg while clucking like a chickien" antics...
Old 06-02-2004, 10:58 PM
justin_92_92

the whole thing your talking about with the tail throttle needing to be in the center is right....but that means plug in the heli while tail stick is in center but after it beeps....then pull to the left and hold....if it works this way whats the problem? It works for everyone else. If you have tail problems...I did with dd. I had to go to stock....not sure why on that one though sorry I would like to have more tail torque though.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:04 AM
Coasty

I get what you mean now - had something else stuck in my head.
You're exactly right, and it works everytime..
Old 06-03-2004, 10:52 AM
justin_92_92

cool glad its working rite......happy flying