Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

HB Bell 222 - first "flights" retrospective

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

HB Bell 222 - first "flights" retrospective

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 08:47 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HB Bell 222 - first "flights" retrospective

I fly planes, and have been practicing helis on the sim for close to a year now, on and off. I have gotten to the point where I wanted to try the real thing, and my friend (who flies a concept 30SR and hornet CP) observed my sim flying and offered that I was ready to learn on a .30 ship. From a friend of his, I got a hummingbird bell 222 for a killer price. Last night, I found out the hard way that the simulator helis on RFG2 are nothing like real micros.[] I can hover the "watt-not" rock-steady within about an 18" square. The hummingbird, OTOH, hit just about everything in my basement last night. I can say, NOBODY can accuse the Hummingbird of being fragile. I thrashed the bell fuselage a little with a blade strike and put a tiny nick in one blade tip when I overcorrected into the concrete wall[:@], but all of the other 40 or so impacts were harmless.
I know it's not the heli's fault, because I've seen my friend hover it, more or less successfully. I read Radd's guide and tried to follow it, but it is impossible with this heli without modification. As soon as I spool up the rotor, it starts to taxi forward--even though I adjusted the nosewheel to level out the swashplate relative to the ground. Therefore it's kind of hard to keep it in one spot on the ground--even full back cyclic won't hold it still. Once off the ground, it goes any which way though, so I don't believe that it's too far out of trim. I'm going to have my friend come over and coach me a little before I manage to destroy this machine, but in the meantime, do any of you guys have suggestions for me? Would I be better off transferring the electronics into a standard HB vII or elite FP so that I'll have conventional skids and a small canopy, or should I just thrash the tar outta this until it can't take no more?
Old 07-23-2004, 09:53 AM
sdavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HB Bell 222 - first "flights" retrospective

I think you may find that the landing gear is not holding the heli level with the ground. See if the nose wheel needs to be lowered to make the heli level on the ground. "The heli may be tilted forward, making it taxi with any power." Once in the air you said it is ok?

I would take some time to get the landing gear all level on the ground, then trim the rotor very carefully until it will lift off mostly straight up.

When you lift off the gound, it should not wander off right away but will over 5-10 sec. You should only need to make very small corrections to keep it in one spot. If you can't get the heli to lift off straight, work on the set-up again.

Hope this helps some. My Honeybee flies very nice, almost hands off.

Scott
Old 07-23-2004, 12:16 PM
BuzzBomber

I did adjust the nosegear, but perhaps it needs even more, because at liftoff, I need to apply back cyclic along with the usual right cyclic. After that, I really can't tell if its out of trim or not--it doesn't consistently shoot of in any one direction--it goes where it wants, or if I'm lucky, it stays put for a minute. However, I don't know if it's because I'm overcorrecting (quite likely) or because it's out of trim. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Sabot

TAKE the damn bell 222 shell off! it gives the heli the aerodynamics pig, belive my - i know
Old 07-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Jerrykl720

I have a airwolf body on my hb , but without power is not easy to fly .
I think u should take out the body .2nd change to skids.

Jerry
Old 07-28-2004, 10:55 PM
BuzzBomber

The shell is pretty torn up now, believe it or not because of my ham-fisted attempts to access the mechanics, not because of crash damage! So, it probably will be removed in the near future--besides, that day-glo red and yellow paintjob is an eyesore anyway[X(] (does make it easy to see, though).