Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Budget Helo w/o buying Junk

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Budget Helo w/o buying Junk

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Helo w/o buying Junk

I'm looking to get into a 'budget' electic chopper without buying junk. Can anyone at least get me started in the right direction? It seems every week a new one is on the market.

I'm looking for fixed pitch something I can fly in my front yard (I live in the woods - Surrounded by trees) I've played with nito choppers 15 years ago and have some time on the flight simulators but I'm sure to pup it in a few times (as I have done in the past!) so I really dont want to buy Junk.

I know this is probably the #1 question but I'm having problems extracting the info from all the posts.

Thanks for getting me started in the right direction.

Sheldon
Old 08-04-2004, 01:16 PM
ger87410

Default RE: Budget Helo w/o buying Junk

My favorite electric fixed pitch heli sofar is the mini dragon, also called the x rotation. It's got 2 main rotors spinning in opposite directions and no tail rotor. Finding parts is a bit of a problem. Other then that, the piccolo, jabo, and the rest that look like the jabo are all basically the same. They work alright I heard, but the one I got fried as soon as I plugged it in.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Sabot

a Century hummingbird is £200 including everything
Old 08-04-2004, 01:58 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear less complaints about the Piccolo Fun and the Hummingbird than the other clones. Would you be using an existing transmitter? What model? Do you have chargers for e-flight now? Which ones?
Does your budget support going with Separate components, or are you looking to go bottom dollar?
Old 08-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Goldwing-RCU

VinceHerman, I've been reading a few of your posts! Thanks for all the help. I have a Futaba 9C Radio and a Great Planes Trition both of which I really like. I really can't plunk down big bucks right now.

I would like to (As everyone) spend as little as possible without flying it two times because it's broke or just dont work right. If I can use existing stuff, that would help. I have no micro servos and the speed control I have is for a slow stick!

200.00 bucks would be a good number to stay under but if it takes more to get something that works I can wait and save.

Thanks,

Sheldon
Old 08-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Sabot

cant you get it up to £200 to avoid buying junk?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Goldwing-RCU

not sue what that is in Dollars???? sorry
Old 08-04-2004, 05:12 PM
JohnY2004

jabo2 is a tough heli and has had many crashes but it still flies. I had an aerohawk before but I wasn't able to make any progress on steady hovering due to tail wagging problem. Ever since I got the jabo2, I've been able to make progress on hovering. Jabo spare parts are compatible to Colco Thunderbird 2(the least expensive spare parts), except for the main shaft and main gear although they both have 120 tooth. Well, jabo2 is only my trainer helicopter at this stage of flying.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Sabot

i think its about $280 ish i dont know use an online converter
Old 08-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Freakazoid
My Feedback: (1)

Converter: www.xe.com

And 280 for a humming is rather much, unless its the CP version?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:38 PM
ny102

can u build from kit??? if u can u can, check this out.. clearance sale. 50% off. Slight damage during shipment to warehouse.
http://www.heli-world.com/bargains/clearance.htm
Old 08-04-2004, 08:25 PM
msg73

Goldwing-RCU,

I just placed an ad for a like new Aerohawk with all the neccessary mods for $200.

Check the ad at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=43607

-Mike
Old 08-05-2004, 02:20 AM
astronut30
My Feedback: (5)

Is it breezy at all in your backyard? If so, what kind of breeze are we talking? 10mph, 15mph?? If it's usually really calm there, I vouch for the Hummingbird, with a couple of mods, like hornet blades (need a pretty strong motor to run them though), head stiffener and shaft collar, it is quite a smooth little micro but in the breeze, at least in my opinion, it's no fun at all! It gets thrown around like that paper bag on American Beauty, lol. If it is in fact breezy there, wait, save a little more $ and get yourself a Corona, it's equally as durable as a Hummingbird, it's way more stable than a micro and can handle breezes a lot better, thus making the learning process much less frustrating.

Either way, heli's are addicting and fun!!
Old 08-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Goldwing-RCU

There is vertally no Breeze in my yard because of the trees. Although I don't think I'll ever get into 3D stuff it would be nice to bring it to hte field and fly in 5 mph or under. Is that possible???

thanks
Old 08-06-2004, 05:24 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

The corona is way more stable, easier to fly than micros and the worst crash in the world will cost you MAYBE $25 bucks.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Goldwing-RCU

Sold!

No really in the old days when I crashed my GMP Cobra it cost a minimum of 100.00 for parts and took two weeks before it was in the air!

Big question, My LHS does not have kits (just fuel & glue!) Where is the best place to order a Corona and how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks Again?

Will they come with a Gyro?
Old 08-07-2004, 08:36 PM
skyhawknut

Roffee tv comes up as the cheapest and best place to buy. I think the unlisted price is $179 for the basic kit. DO NOT BUY MORE THAN THE BASIC KIT!!

The stock motor and speed control are JUNK! Buy the basic kit (no motor, esc,gyro etc...) If you want to stay cheap the best brushed motor is the Kyosho Atomic force. Add a Castle Creations pegasus 35 esc to that and your ready to rock (almost!) Roffee may have the esc and motor - if not Tower hobbies has them. It's about $20 bucks for the motor and $40 for the esc. The atomic force needs practically no maintenance and has lots of power with an 8 cell battery. I can get 18 min flights.

To get good flight times (like mine) get an 8 cell Saft 3200 battery (also cheaper than the other two!). If around 8 mins is ok then 8 cell GP 3300 or Sanyo 2600 is fine. Whatever you do get the pack made with SOLDERED connections - not welded. You will get much better preformance.

Any 4 channel radio will work as this is fixed pitch. However - if you want to go CP later, it's best to get a heli radio.

Do not go with anything other than a Futaba GY-240 gyro. There are cheaper ones out there but most have problems and 95% of people end up buying a 240 later anyway. Futaba's are the best gyros.

You need 3 servos. Either HS-81's or JR 331's.

If you need a battery charger this one is about the best for the price and will do for a while. Better ones are $120 or more.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML

The whole setup will cost about $400-500 dollars depending on where you shop and what options you get (more expensive radio etc.....) You can get everything you need at the places listed below. If one doesn't have it the other will. I know it seems like a lot of money compared to a micro - but there is really no comparison. You will be way less frustrated while learning, and as you know paying $100 dollars compared to $10 (or none) for a crash adds up fast!

I couldn't believe the stories about the Coronas durability either untill I got into a 40 foot high nose in hover (I can't do nose in yet) lost it as it rolled 90 degrees on it's right side and hit the ground. Walked over, straightened the gear and blades, and took off to fly the rest of my battery which was about 5 min. I saw my buddy hit the ground going full tilt and he snapped a servo arm and cracked the wooden crutch. Five min later he was airborne wondering if he should try it again for kicks!

BEST PLACES TO BUY:

http://www.roffeetvhobby.com/

http://www.battlepack.com/packs.asp

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ce&FVPROFIL=++
Old 08-07-2004, 08:53 PM
skyhawknut

I do recommend one upgrade (and only one). The one way upgrade ($66) is very good as it has a hardened mainshaft - the stock one is soft - and the one way bearing allows less main gear wear and in the case of a failed motor the main and TR blades will still spin.

You can't auto a fixed pitch but the spinning blades will soften the impact and will allow somewhat marginal directional control. Without a one way the blades stop as fast as the motor and it just falls. I know what you are thinking, but the main blade and grip design as well as the material they are made of make them almost indistructible.

One way avail here:
http://www.fxaeromodels.com/lite.htm

Watch the videos here - you won't believe it!
http://www.litemachines.com/video.swf

Here are videos of the Corona being put through it's paces!
http://users.one.se/tomafran/ezfly/bilder.htm
Old 08-08-2004, 04:22 AM
Freakazoid
My Feedback: (1)

Just to show you how tough of a ******* a corona is, here are some videos
(Fainthearted Pilotes be warned, videos contain severly abused heli's):

Bad flying 1
Bad flying 2
Bad flying 3