Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Which is the best gyro mixer for my aerohawk

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Which is the best gyro mixer for my aerohawk

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:13 AM
bcnbignose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the best gyro mixer for my aerohawk

Hi all,

I need you to help me. Which is the best gryo mixer for the aerohawk and where can i get it??

thax!!!
Old 08-30-2004, 10:40 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which is the best gyro mixer for my aerohawk

The Futaba gy240 (or 401) is a head hold gyro that gets rid of the need for mixing. I think that most agree that this gives the best stability in a hover.
Just add a 3 cell LiPo battery to lift the heavy gyro, an appropriate main ESC (pixie 7p, ICS100 or similar) and a high frequency tail ESC (Schulze or TREC) and you are on top of the world as far as stability goes.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:42 PM
bcnbignose

Well, thax but can i use it with my stick receiver and transmiter???

Can you recomend me something else??

thax again
Old 08-30-2004, 03:02 PM
VinceHerman

It does work with any 4 channel transmitter and receiver.
You do not need the advanced helicopter mixes with this configuration.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:16 AM
ny102

ORIGINAL: VinceHerman

The Futaba gy240 (or 401) is a head hold gyro that gets rid of the need for mixing. I think that most agree that this gives the best stability in a hover.
Just add a 3 cell LiPo battery to lift the heavy gyro, an appropriate main ESC (pixie 7p, ICS100 or similar) and a high frequency tail ESC (Schulze or TREC) and you are on top of the world as far as stability goes.
this means there no need to do mixing at all??? i'm confused.. can u x'plain about mixing???
Old 09-03-2004, 06:59 AM
thiswillfly

yes you do need some form of mixer. I've tried a CSM HH gyro with no mixer - the tail wags constantly (at all gain settings) because the gyro is constantly reacting to the main rotor torque. A gyro is a reactive device so the tail needs to have started turning before it can apply opposite tail control - hence the wag. As torque is constantly there, so the gyro will constantly have to fight it.

Sayin that, If you don't mind the tail wagging and the tail motor buzzing up and and down like a dizzy wasp then yeh it appears you can achieve some form of flight [X(] ???!!!! without a mixer!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:35 AM
VinceHerman

ORIGINAL: thiswillfly

yes you do need some form of mixer. I've tried a CSM HH gyro with no mixer - the tail wags constantly (at all gain settings) because the gyro is constantly reacting to the main rotor torque. A gyro is a reactive device so the tail needs to have started turning before it can apply opposite tail control - hence the wag. As torque is constantly there, so the gyro will constantly have to fight it.

Sayin that, If you don't mind the tail wagging and the tail motor buzzing up and and down like a dizzy wasp then yeh it appears you can achieve some form of flight [X(] ???!!!! without a mixer!!!!

No. This is simply not correct.
The tail is not wagging because the gyro is reacting to main rotor torque. The tail is wagging because something in your setup is not right.
The CSM HLG200 (if that is what you have) is known to have problems with wagging, especially in higher cell count applications. Some people have been able to reduce this wag by detuning the tail by cutting the tail blades. Others have been able to fix this by switching to other tail ESCs. Yet others have never been able to get rid os this tail wag.
Brother #2 uses a CSM gyro, and it works perfectly on 2 cell LiPos. When we go to 3 cells, he gets the wag that will not go away.
Brother #1 uses a gy401 and I use a gy240, and these are absolutely rock solid.

If you have a head hold gyro, you do not need mixing.

Futaba gy240 $110
Schulze slim 105 $55 (?) (or TREC for $74)
Pixie 7p $30 (gws ics100 would be cheaper)
3 cell LiPo $35
Charger (lpc-400) $60

This will give you a very well behaved heli that you can fly with a basic, no-feature 4 channel transmitter.
If you have more channels, I would lean towards the gy401.