Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Himax 4200 overheating in zoom/shogun

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Himax 4200 overheating in zoom/shogun

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 02:34 AM
engwerda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Himax 4200 overheating in zoom/shogun

Hello everyone,
I have heard that the himax 2025 4200 in the zoom tends to overheat even with the smaller 9t pinion on the motor. Because i will have to stick to the 10t pinion for the moment becuase i can't find a 9t pinion locally, are there any other ways in which i can reduce the heat? I have a heatsink already, but i heard of people cutting down the rotor blades, just under and inch each side and this leads to greater headspeed, more control and less heat for this particular setup. Could this possibly be true or is it just someone trying to get everyone to ruin there main blades?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:48 AM
scole
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Himax 4200 overheating in zoom/shogun

The Himax motors are known to get pretty hot. It's just how hot they get, it's normal.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:09 PM
G dog

I'm using a 8 tooth pinion to drive main gear and it's working very well for me. Even after several minutes of forward flight the motor is only warm. I do however notice motor is a little hot if I just hover around in one spot for a while. But realize when heli is moving in fast foward flight the motor tends to unload because of "transitional lift" that is caused from air moving through rotor disc. So if your just beginning to fly heli's and are just going to hover around, I highly recommend you try using a 8 tooth pinion to avoid over heating your motor. If your rotor RPM is too low in hover you might need a radio that has adjustable pitch and throttle curves. I use an old Futaba Super 8 TX that has 5 point pitch curve and 5 point throttle curve that makes setting up mixing curves for my flying style a breeze. My Shogun flies excellent with my programmed settings and I'm able to get 15 minutes or more of flight time out of the 11.1V 1600mah LiPo. I have heard many remarks from my fellow heli pilots at my local flying field about how long I'm in the air.
Good luck, happy flying!

G dog
Old 09-01-2004, 06:59 PM
engwerda

so the overheating will not destroy the motor life?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:44 PM
scole

Nope.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Jerrykl720

If too hot it will!
Jerry
Old 09-02-2004, 09:50 AM
G dog

My Himaxx 4200 doesn't get hot. But remember any motor, brushed or brushless do not benefit from extreme over heating. That's why I recommended using a 8 tooth pinion for your Himaxx 4200 in your Zoom/Shogun. The Himaxx has a higher KV/RPM rating than other brushless motors like the Hacker series. A fellow pilot at my local flying field has a Zoom/Shogun with a Hacker brushless and using a 10 tooth pinion with no overheating problems. So bottom line, over heating your motor reduces motor life. If you can't hold your finger on it without extreme discomfort, in my opinion it's too hot!

Good luck, Happy Flying!

G dog
Old 09-02-2004, 12:54 PM
scole

I don't think you understand what i am saying. It is normal for the Himax motors to get hotter than the other motors, ie Hacker or Razor. They have different types of magnets in them. The himax will get very hot, but it is normal.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:04 PM
G dog

So it's normal for Himaxx motors to run a little hot Huh?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:48 PM
scole

Yes.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Big Zoom
My Feedback: (1)

What is the exact temp are you getting?

I'm questioning this very topic here in regards to getting a different motor vs. Himax 2025:4200
http://rotorworks.net/viewtopic.php?p=2895#2895

My himax 2015: 4100 with 11T pinion has reached temps of 185F repeatedly and it is still fine. They can take upto 212F max, although, I would not suggest that.

BUT WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON'T CUT YOUR ROTOR BLADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The parent length of the blade helps with disc loading which ultimately determines the amount of lift and performance.

Here you can find more info from bench tested experiments dealing with different motors, KVs, lipos/motor temps involving a micro heli.