Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Mini Dragonfly...tail rotor stopped in flight...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Mini Dragonfly...tail rotor stopped in flight...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Erich_F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Dragonfly...tail rotor stopped in flight...

Hey guys,

Just got my first EP micro heli today. Been flyin the nitro ships for nearly 20 years, and thought I'd see what these things are about. LHS had a bunch of these Mini Dragonflies in stock, complete RTF, so I got one. The LHS owner said that I could use my 1500 Kokam 3 cell Li-Poly on it, so I did. I got a couple decent hover flights on it, and on the fourth flight the tail rotor stopped and she went down from a hover at 3 feet. Rotor head popped off and no other damage apparent.

I powered it back up to fly again, and the tail rotor is still dead. I fiddle with it a bit and it starts operating again. I get another flight going and it stopped again. I haven't been able to get it running since. Everything else works OK, just no operation of the tail rotor.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar with this thing? It has the GWS Pico Board Mixer/Gyro/Speed controller and geared tailrotor. I'm taking it back to the shop I got it from today and see what they can do. Maybe I just got a lemon.

Thanks in Advance,

Erich
Old 10-02-2004, 08:15 PM
camra88

Default RE: Mini Dragonfly...tail rotor stopped in flight...

Tail motors fry out all the time. AND I MIND ALL THE TIME!!! Unless you get like a high authority one with a good heatsink. This is especially true when using the higher capacity li-po batteries. the extended flight times can EASILY over heat those little motors. Then after that happens... they quit working. Just like what you are describing. You can buy them real cheap on allelectronics.com. motor is dc-166
Old 10-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Erich_F

Default RE: Mini Dragonfly...tail rotor stopped in flight...

Yeh I was thinking the motor is fried. I tried to see if I was getting power to the motor leads, but my test points are too fat and I can't get a good contact on them without causing a glitch and the silly thing freaking out on me

This stuff is really small, eh? I was planning on upgrading to the direct drive tail motor anyways, and see how that works. I may also stick with the 8.4V NiMh packs too.

Thanks for your response,

Erich