Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Electric Heli

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 04:55 AM
alangr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Heli

I am new to RC helicopters and was wondering if an electric helicopter would be a good trianer. I am looking at the Kalt Baron Whisper and the JR Voyager E. I understand the Kyosho Concept ER is more for advanced pilots. I have read about the Eco 8 and Eco16 but everyone says theirs is the best. I like the CCPM on the Voyager. If Y'all can give me some advice, I would appreciated it very much. I don't want to spend my money, then find out I have bought the wrong thing.

Thanks,

Alan
Old 02-18-2002, 12:20 PM
SENECA-RCU

Default Electric Heli

I have flown all of these and the most solid in my reolection was the Voyager but they all fly somewhat similar it mainly should be determined by the ease of obtaining parts and in that case usually JR would win with Concept being a close second.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:10 AM
gquiring
My Feedback: (1)

Default Electric Heli

I would not recommend an electric to a beginner. The Voyager and Whispers are very fragile. Most electric heli's are also harder to fly, they are light and less powered.

I flew a Whisper for many years and a Concept EP. The Concept was junk. I currently own a Voyager which I like, but I still would not recommend it to a beginner.

To really enjoy electric you need to upgrade the motor and speed controller in most of them. I replaced my Voyager motor with a brushless Hacker 8BL and Kontronic speed controller for more power. I also upgraded to a 10 cell 2400 pack. Then the electric heli works great and it cost $$$$$ big bucks.

Start with a sim, then get a Raptor 30.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:07 PM
rscamp

Default Electric Heli

Start with a simulator then get a serious electric heli like a Logo 20.

Rob
Old 07-13-2002, 01:19 AM
CopterDr

Default Electric Heli

Hi alangr.
I'm about to build my first electric scaler...a 60 size jet ranger from Graupner. I learned on a Graupner Starlet 50 and a Benzin Trainer ( a gift from my late parents). All the guys are tellin ya right I believe. I can only speak for my own excitement of the E heli's. From what I've seen on these little darlin's, I think E's the way. I've seen vids of 3D and scale......all very smooth and powerful. Coming from gas and glow, I can tell ya, I won't miss the mess and vibration.
As a trainer, I can say that with the technology in motors and batteries, they can rival their glow brethern.
Good luck on your quest my friend.
Barry
Old 07-13-2002, 10:39 AM
rscamp

Default Electric Heli

I've never flown anything but electric helis. I had a Whisper and although it flew OK, it is long in the tooth now and absolutely no comparison to the new breed of larger electric helis. I now have a Logo 20 and a converted Shuttle.

When people say it is better to learn on glow, the comparison is usually between a small electric heli and a 30 size glow. If you compare apples to apples, (i.e. compare the glow to a 20-24 cell electric) there is no significant difference in how they fly. The electric is a bit easier to start, however. Either way, get knowledgeable help!!!

Rob
Old 07-14-2002, 12:02 PM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Default electric

Look at the reviews at www.rchelicopters.org
If I was you I would get the CORONA 120.
It is Easy to build easy to set up. Can use any 4 channel aircraft radio. most crashes are $0 to $20 if any damage.
www.litemachine.com I love its brother the LMH110
The Corona has a longer tail boom, longer main blades, and wider tail blades. with stock motor and batt I hear they are geting 7 to 8 min of flight time. 12 to 18 with brushless.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:19 PM
rscamp

Default Electric Heli

Yes, the Corona is an excellent first electric heli. The only big disadvantage is no collective.

Rob