Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

how to paint a scale body ?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

how to paint a scale body ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 07:01 AM
mz123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to paint a scale body ?

Hi,
I just got apache scale body for my aerohawk,
however its not painted.

how will you suggest to paint it ?
what is the best way to make it look the best ?

as it came now its clear plastic.
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86959.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	192368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67024.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	192369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23599.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	192370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89009.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	192371  
Old 11-12-2004, 09:14 AM
jyc

Default RE: how to paint a scale body ?

mz123,

make sure you buy the paint that's for use on 'polycarbonate' shells. If you use any regular paint, the paint will crack when you make any less-than-perfect landings.

Depending on what effect, if you want a nice gloss finish, paint from the inside. If you want a matt finish, paint from the outside. Also, make sure you mask the windows and any design schemes before you paint. Lastly, make sure you slightly sand the shells and wash the shells with mild detergents after sanding. Let the shells air dry before starting your painting.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Ozydego

The best guys to talk to about painting lexan bodies are R/C car guys. They can't give you a paint scheme, but they can give you a ton of tips. As far as how to paint it, did it come with any decals? You should look at pics of apaches and decide how much detail you want, and how much time u want to spend.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:43 AM
AV8

I have to go with JYCBusiness on this one... And also, agree that the "Car Guys" would have some tips for paint as well. But I don't see a need to go that far into the researching of how to paint plastic.

As JYCBusiness says, get some incredibly fine paper and rough it up. Personally, I would do it on the outside since the AH-64 isn't "Glossy" kind of defeats the purpose <heh> So I'd sand very lightly on the outside. Depending on the quality of the plastic it will "fog up" on you while do you prep the surface. Rinse it off after to get the tiny pieces out of the way and let it sit.... Don't try something like a blow dryer <lol>

Next up, think over the color scheme. Is it going to be "Desert sand"? (My tank was "Toasty Almond" in Kuwait) Then there's the "Camo" versions and also the ever popular "Olive Drab". I'd probably go with something nearly black but in green. If you go with the "Camo" version remember to put the lighter colors on first as you can cover any "mistakes" with the darker shades and no one will know the difference.

Again, like JYCBusiness said, mask off the windows with tape. DO NOT REMOVE that tape until the thing is absolutely dry. If that means you can't see out the windows for 3 days so be it. Better that it be done right rather than fast. Being that you purchased this body, I'm leaning towards you wanting it to look good too.

As far as the act of painting it I'd rig it to be hung in the garage. like put up sheets on hooks in the ceiling in the garage (make shift paint booth) and to keep it inexpensive I would grab a can of "Krylon" (tm) and paint it from about 3 feet away (ok maybe 2 feet) just let the paint settle on the body that way you will definately not get any runs. Also the paint will be more tacky when it hits the rough surface of the plastic that you so painstakingly prepared right...?

I wouldn't trim any of the plastic until after it was painted and dried.

Ok thats my .03 cents... (inflation)
Old 11-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Ozydego

The reason I ask if there are any decals, depending on which way they are made, the front side, or the back side tacky, they are meant to be put sometimes on the inside, before painting the inside, if it doesn't come with decals, some from the hobby store might make those added details to make it look scale. I would go with hobby store spray paint, as the "Krylon" could crack over time, ie: it is not meant to be on a flexible body. When taking off the paint mask, use an exacto knife to seperate the paint from the mask, so it makes a clean line. Car guys would probably give you those kind of tips.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:00 PM
mz123

Hi,
thanks for your input.

no, there is not any decals with it , but probably its good idea to make some.

everyone say I should paint from the inside so I think that what I will do.

however one question left,
should I use krylon ? (which kind?)

or I should use:
Tamiya Color for Polycarbonate

[link=http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/pc.htm]tamiya[/link]
Old 11-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Conman
My Feedback: (1)

don't use krylon at all. it will flake off and look like crap first time you ding it. go with the tamiya paint or better yet go with parma faskolor or pactra. thats the proper paint for this kind of thing