Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Dragonfly 22D i Need Help

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Dragonfly 22D i Need Help

Old 11-27-2004, 07:15 PM
SnowyBird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragonfly 22D i Need Help

I was looking on ebay and found a Dragonfly 22d. It doesnt' have a tail motor, it's like the gas helis. I was reading the parts list and it said it only has 2 servos, how is this possible? it's altitude is controlled with esc, but the for/back roll left/right and tail rotor are all non-esc (swashplate with for back left/right and pitch with the tail). Is this helicopter capable of all aspects of flight? EXcluding the maneuvers with collective pitch, is it fully capable like a .30 or something (not talking about power, more or less about flight capabilities) anyone who owns one, could you get me a movie or more info? Thank You Also, can someone clearly explain proportional controls? thanks and happy holidays!!!!!! says it uses axis rotating system what is that?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:37 AM
tnd2000

Default RE: Dragonfly 22D i Need Help

It has 3 servos. You should contact the seller if the description reads 2. It's same as any other 4ch heli, not capable of inverted flying. I'm not too sure about 22d. yea great no tail motor but tail motor is replacable easily, not sure about the tail of 22d. Can't seem to find spare for it.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:50 PM
R-Rudder

I just ordered one d22 ($109, plus $35 shipping) last week and it should be arrived anytime early next week (I hope). Guess there's a bit of delay due to the long weekend holiday. Anyway, it's the latest release V1.02 with metal tail gear(s). The V1.00, which was a pilot release had plastic gear, wasn't very durable.

D22 is the 2rd helicopter I bought and my 1st heli was made by the same manufacturer. Their heli(s) haven't disappointed me yet in term of price, quality, and performance.

I was going to buy the HOneybee 2 but on 2rd thought, after looking at the amount of money I'd spent on tail motors, the figure ran up pretty closed getting a new heli.

The D22 is what I have been waiting for my next helicopter.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:16 PM
R-Rudder

Just got my DF D22. Could some one please explain to me how do the "LIMIT" and "DELAY" work? It has metal gears for both the tail and the tail shaft at the main motor. On a visual inspection, everything looks pretty solid. I haven't flown it yet.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70291.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	199002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81529.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	199003  
Old 12-03-2004, 06:28 PM
R-Rudder

All metal gears are aluminum. I expected they use brass. Either metal is good enough to me just as long as they don't use plastic one.

Name:	Vt58502.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	199010  
Old 12-03-2004, 11:01 PM
xalex0000

Hey R-rudder, Did you fly it ? How does it fly ?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:49 AM
R-Rudder

This helicopter is too big to fly indoor. I still haven't trimmed the helicopter yet since my place is too small. It has to be trimmed outdoor. It has plenty of lift and right rudder power. I was able to hover about 5" and landed before I ran out of space.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:53 AM
balazs

hello r-rudder,

i have also ordered one 22d, but did not get it since 2 weeks (i have ordered from hongkong ot europe, so maybe i will just last longer). where did you order yours?

any experiences so far?

thanks,
balazs
Old 12-04-2004, 05:46 PM
heater777

Just tried to fly my 22d. I am giving full rudder deflection and it doesn't can't seem to keep the thing for yawing. Any suggestions?

Heater
Old 12-04-2004, 09:00 PM
R-Rudder

balazs,
try playing with the rudder trim by moving it to the right. the rate of change for right yaw is slower than left yaw, but shouldn't be too slow. for instance, when you give it left rudder, the helicopter responds instantly yawing to the left. while for right yaw, there's a less than 2 seconds of delay before the helicopter would repond by yawing to the right because there're additonal loads (mechanicaly & electrically) required in order to complete the task. I use the 11.1V li-ion battery instead of the 9.6V NiMH battery (very short flight time~4 or 5 mins). Is the 11.1V li-ion battery not supposed to drop below 9V or it'll damage?

If moving the rudder trim to the right doesn't solve your problem, try give it a little throttle.

This helicopter is still very new to me. Flying any new helis is just like riding a mustang who has just been out of the wilderness. It'll require some practices before getting familiar with its behavoir.

Hope this would help.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:14 PM
R-Rudder

My heli was sitting at the US Custom for clearance for about a week.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:29 PM
tanasit

The 2 terms you mentioned are similar to GAIN and PROPORTION on the other controller.
The GAIN or LIMIT will set the strength or sensitivity of how much the rudder response to the yaw movement, normally set at 90% and go down from there.
The PROPORTION or DELAY will dictate the amount of signal sending to the rudder control per unit time, again good starting point is 90%.

The DELAY should be set first, you want to set it so that the rudder speed is proportion to the rotor speed. If the heli is on the ground and the throttle is a lowest position, move the heli side to side by hand, if the tail spins you have to decrease the DELAY.
Then fly the heli and adjust the LIMIT, if the tail osscilates then the gain must be reduced the LIMIT but if you reduce it too much the nose will not stay put.
But since you have the gear drive rudder, I don't know if the DELAY can be effective if any.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:33 PM
tanasit

RE: Could some one please explain to me how do the "LIMIT" and "DELAY" work?

With your gear driven rudder:
The LIMIT will indicate "how far" the servo arm that controls the rudder will move in respond to the yaw.
The DELAY will set how quick the tail servo come in play when the gyro detects the yaw movement.
Again, set them from high to low.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:48 AM
R-Rudder

Tanasit,

Thanks
Old 12-05-2004, 04:58 PM
mark3000

I have bought one of these about a week ago and it flies really nicely! Its my first heli but am quite impressed by it. I got a friend of mine to fly it and was happy with how well he got on with it.

Only problem is ive tried to fly it tonight and with no warning its started spinning very rapidly when i take off (see this post i made http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Drag...2403952/tm.htm ) I would much appreciate any help anyone could give me as i dont know too much about helis. It is a shaft driven tail.

Thanks

Mark
Old 12-05-2004, 08:22 PM
R-Rudder

"Only problem is ive tried to fly it tonight and with no warning its started spinning very rapidly when i take off..."

A tiny plastic washer might had came off from the tail gear housing where it's being used to hold the tailshift (a boomerang shaped for shifting the pitch of the tail) in place with the tail gear housing. It only held together by a drop of glue. It happened to me last night when I hovered it indoor and the tail hit the sofa. When I tried to take off again, the heli started to spinning because there was not enough pitch from the tailblades to counter the torque from the main motor.

When I inspected the heli, I discovered that piece of tiny washer was done but later I found it on the floor after searching inch by inch.

hope this helps...

Name:	Bz77554.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	199780  
Old 12-06-2004, 05:35 PM
mark3000

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately i still have that washer so it cant be that. I have narrowed the problem down slightly tho...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tail...2407181/tm.htm

sorry to keep refering you to links!

whenever i put full pitch on to counter the spin, the tail rotor stops and the main blade turns slower.

Mark
Old 12-07-2004, 02:20 PM
heater777

Thanks for the info on the rudder. Now I am having trouble with the battery. I guess I will order a new one with higher voltage. I charge the original up for 2 hours as the instruction book says, when I turn on the heli the rotors spin for maybe 3 secs and then it stops.

Heater777
Old 12-07-2004, 08:05 PM
R-Rudder

The 9.6V NiMH battery is very weak and has very short flight time. I charged the battery for 2 hrs as instructed on the manual and hovered in the air for 10 seconds. After doing that for about 4 times, the battery didn't have enough power left to lift the helicopter. I was trying to trim the heli. A 11.1V Li-ion battery can extend the flight time.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:47 AM
R-Rudder

I think you might have a bad 9.6V NiMH battery. I have the same problem when the battery is low.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:38 AM
swashplate

Hey mark I just got a 22d, and was having the same spinning problem, heres how i fixed it:
1. First I noticed that the bell crank flush with the tail gear case and was interfering with the gear at the tail end of the boom,
so i popped off that little washer cut the tube part off the bell crank, put the little plastic washer back on first, then the bell crank, and then the tube part that was cut off. all this does is free up the gear a bit.
2. that didnt fix it so i kept looking, and noticed that the shaft collar was set too high, which keeps the main gear from meshing with the head tail gear when its reved up thus the "spinning only when its on full throtle".
this realy did the trick, and now i just keep replacing my sheared shaft pins. I tryed making them out of titanium, but they still shear and then they just get stuck in the shaft so i use Paper clips. I also find that a well charged 9.6 volt pack has MORE than enough juice for me. next project : titanium wire tail guard.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:42 PM
ToyFigure

ORIGINAL: R-Rudder

The 9.6V NiMH battery is very weak and has very short flight time...A 11.1V Li-ion battery can extend the flight time.
I just ordered the DragonFly 22D and wanted to upgrade to LiPoly batteries for longer flight times but there are several different mAh cells available. So does a 11.1V 3 cell 1200mAh work? And where is the best place to get them?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:31 PM
quaker1

Has anybody flown one of these yet?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

I was thinking of getting one, they have both collective pitch and drive shaft driven tail.
Good for outside maybe?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:29 AM
importpilot

hello guys, i just got one of them dragonfily22d and i try to fly it a few times, i keep having problems wit the tail rudder, it keeps going to the rite even if i put the gain all the way left, also just now it stop rotating when the main motor rotates, im afraid that some thing is stripped inside the tail boom, gosh i hate that, if anyone can help, i would be very thankful, thanks!
Old 12-22-2004, 06:52 AM
R-Rudder

I would get the 3cell 11.1V li-ion weighs less than the stock battery. I really don't know what's the MAH of the 3cell 11.1V I have because it didn't print on the battery eventhough I asked the seller before and they only told me not to charge it more than 2 hrs. But I can get around 9~10 mins of continous flying time out of this li-ion pack. So I'm guessing it's the 800MAH.

Since the D22 is kind of heavy, so I would use the 3cell li-ion battery pack weighs no more than 90g (1200MAH max).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.