Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Largest Electric heli

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Largest Electric heli

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 08:47 PM
n0jvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Largest Electric heli

I was kind of wondering what is the largest R/C electric Heli available. ?

I've seen the Logo 30 but i was kind of wondering if there was anything bigger out there

have a nice one all

Mike
Old 10-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Scotty740

I think the Joker is the largest one that is out now. It's a 60 sized machine.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:06 AM
z11355

there is also a prototype electric 3DNT I've
seen demonstrated at a local FF during the summer.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:50 PM
edg

At the moment, I'm sure it's the Joker. It's 30-32 cells and is about
.60 sized. I just finished putting mine in a .60 Century 500D fuse. It probably weights in around 12 lbs full up.

Some pics of it nearly completed at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=66164

-edg-
Old 10-23-2002, 06:00 PM
pave-low

Nice looking bird.
Now you have to post us some video with sound of course. I am electrically envious!

THX-
Old 10-30-2002, 11:44 PM
e-sailpilot86

Default Largest E-Heli

The largest electric hasn't come out yet. It's going to be the same size as a Fury .90... At least I think it is a fury, just electric; it's one of those top notch massive heli's that have drool buckets surrounding them at displays. It'll be about 32-34 cells, more than a Joker. It is likely it won't come out for a while since the company that will make it focuses on upgrades and other more popular glow choppers, it might not ever come out.

BTW, the largest right now is in Germany (as far as I know), it uses about 30-40 cells and runs direct drive to the main rotor. Homebuilt brushless...
Old 12-17-2002, 04:42 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Default Electric Airwolf

My Raptor .30 convert to electric power. I'm flying with Airwolf body. My buddy convert his X-cell .60 too.
We both have the same set up.
Kontronic 460, 30 cell 1700 Ni'hm on my.
His have 2400 battery pack. I think.
We got about 5.5 min on each charge.
Go to my website you will see it on my front page.
Brg,
Tam
www.tamjets.com
Old 12-22-2002, 03:28 PM
tdearth
My Feedback: (30)

I have a Vario Silence that is a 30 to 32 cell 60 size. It is good for just flying around but I don't think that it will do much in the way of aerobatics.

Tim
Old 12-28-2002, 06:10 AM
steph280
My Feedback: (5)

"BTW, the largest right now is in Germany (as far as I know), it uses about 30-40 cells and runs direct drive to the main rotor. Homebuilt brushless... "

If you know anything about electrics, you will know this is impossible. If it has direct drive to the rotor running 40 cells (44+ volts), that motor will need to have a kv of 40 or something in the neighborhood. Homebuild or not, I would like to see a motor with 40kv.

There are already several Fury E-conversion done by people. I saw one at Palomar fun fly a month ago. Will dig up a picture if anybody is interested.

Get your fact straight...
Old 12-28-2002, 06:38 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steph280:

I have not seen the German heli with the direct drive brushless motor, but it is NOT impossible. Difficult, maybe. The key word is "Brushless."

A DC motor at 1800 rpm or so would be very inefficient. And while the input to the controller is DC, the brushless motor is actually 3-phase AC, converted in the controller, and with three phase you can set the speed pretty much wherever you want it. Power is dependent on available current, and motor wire size.

Maxcim has a brushless on the market, huge, about six horses, runs about 3000-4000 rpm. $600. Less controller.

In this case, sir, you are the one who needs to learn a little more about electrics. Sorry.

Electric motor, big and slow, but brother see that big twin go.

Bill.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:10 AM
steph280
My Feedback: (5)

Do you think you can get any usable torque out of a 3000-4000RPM motor running at 1600RPM? Can it rev up/down fast enough for the speed governors to compensate for collective changes? Why do you think there are gears on bicycles?

Both the Kontronik Beat and Schulze Future ESC all state specifically that running at goverened throttle of 80% or below could damage the ESC. Do you know why?

It is not the size that matters here. It's the useable torque at optimay efficiency. The Actro outrunner motors on Jokers are actually smaller physically than the Tango in my Logo20, but yet it could fly a bigger heli. The Maxcim can make a $10K motor with a zillion horsepower, but if it doesnt operate efficiently in the RPM the heli needs, it will probably just cook the batteries or fry the ESC.

The "home made" brushless is probably the LRK motor. I would like to see how many turns it takes to achiece the 40-50KV rating.

Stephen
Old 12-28-2002, 07:44 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Stephen:

Please re-read my post. You DESIGN THE CONTROLLER FOR 1800 RPM. You do not hold a 4000 rpm motor to 1800. Further, using the controller to set head speed works fine. The electrons react a hell of a lot faster than you can change cyclic or collective, and the torque change maintains head speed.

And if you know why sustained high load at 80% rpm is damaging, why did you ever say that an 1800 rpm motor was not possible? One is tied to the other in the design.

The Maxcim motor was mentioned as an example of a motor for models that did not have to run at 22,000 rpm to develop its power, not a motor that could be run high load at 1800.

And if you truly want to learn about their motor ask them. But don't flat out call them liars. They might get irritated and refuse to answer your questions.

I can always sleep tight, with a twin in flight.

Bill.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Ron v. Sommeren

Originally posted by steph280
... If you know anything about electrics, you will know this is impossible. If it has direct drive to the rotor running 40 cells (44+ volts), that motor will need to have a kv of 40 or something in the neighborhood. Homebuild or not, I would like to see a motor with 40kv...
Ouch Have a look at Christian Lucas' and my entries in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=122920
Old 02-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Ron v. Sommeren

Default RE: Largest Electric heli

More ouch A gearless direct drive helicopter motor, made from a 3.5" diskette drive motor:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=197862
Old 02-13-2004, 06:26 AM
rscamp

Default RE: Largest Electric heli

It certainly isn't impossible to build such a relatively low power, very low Kv motor. I'd say the hard part is keeping the diameter down. It has to have a large diameter to develop the torque for a given output power. I would think weight is also tricky due to the large diameter.

Rob