Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

What to do next?

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

What to do next?

Old 07-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Fly-n-3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do next?

I have learned to hover tail in, hover nose in, foward flight, backward flight, inverted tail in hover, inverted nose in hover, inverted nose in figure 8, and inverted tail in figure 8. What move should I learn next?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:18 AM
rotarypower3

Default RE: What to do next?

I can't believe you can do all that, but can't do SIDE-IN hovering??
Old 07-05-2005, 06:01 AM
oops

Your next move should be to post about it on a discussion group mostly filled with people who can hover tail-in if luck is with them.... Oh, hang on - you've done that too...

Heh, just taking a swipe... You're way past a lot of us. Self included... I'm just at forward flight... And inverted crash.

But you're probably going about this the wrong way.... If your just learning different moves, you will eventually get bored and move on. It becomes a fixation. Set your goals a little further out - eg, try entering competitions. Watch professional videos and emulate their moves. Keep practicing the ones you do know and develop precision. But decide where you want your skills to take you.

If you're happy tinkering, then your skills are probably sufficient and you don't need more.

Otherwise, if your goal is better flying, find someone in your area who is better and challenge them.... Then when you get better than them, let others challenge you and try to beat you.

But it's still the end-game that counts.

As for a nice stunt to try? Work on a sequence. String a few of your tricks together and make your transitions smooth

Then video and post it here

Anyway, just my $0.02.

David
Old 07-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Fly-n-3D

I have learned all of that by practicing on the G3 sim up to 2 hr a day. So I don't have a real helicopter yet.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:03 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Well, doing it on the sim and in real life is TOTALLY different. I can also do alot of that on the sim, but its ALOT more difficult to do on the real thing.

I can flip one inverted a ft off the deck in the sim, but Ill be danged if Im gonna try that with my real heli.

As far as what tricks to work on next....now do all the above with it piroetting....that ought to keep your fingers busy for a while.

Yup, theres a good maneuver to learn. Inverted Piroetting figure eights.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Tanner Hall

ORIGINAL: Fly-n-3D

I have learned to hover tail in, hover nose in, foward flight, backward flight, inverted tail in hover, inverted nose in hover, inverted nose in figure 8, and inverted tail in figure 8. What move should I learn next?

what's do you mean by "inverted nose in/tail in figure 8"?? do you mean inverted forward and inverted backward circuits? are you at this stage in a sim or with the real thing? if it's only the former, you need to try these orientations with the real thing because real life is a LOT different, mainly due to nerves.

what heli are you flying? to do some of the more advanced moves, you need a fairly high power to weight ratio. i'm at the same stage as you. i've been working on stationary flips and rolls, backwards and inverted loops, funnels and, in the sim, tic tocs. piroflips, snakes, rolling circles, etc. will probably be next year for me. do a google search on heli 3D and you'll find plenty of web sites with instructions for all of the various moves you can try.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Fly-n-3D

I was mainly into planes but now I want to fly both. I have an E-flite Yak 54F and a JR 6102 transmitter, R61OUL receiver and, four JR 241 servos. I guess I will fly my plane and practice on the sim more with helis.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Tanner Hall

fly-n-3d, with your 3D plane experience, you could probably do well with helis. but like i said, flying helis in real life is much much harder than you would think. it's easy to try advanced moves in a sim where reset button = do over. it's quite another to try them on your favorite multi-thousand dollar heli that took you hundreds of hours to build, setup, and tweak until you had it flying just right...

RC helis require a ton of patience (and disposable income).
Old 07-05-2005, 02:36 PM
futura

Well spoken Reverend Tannor Hall....well spoken.

Even with disposable income, my nurves are shot from adrenal overdose after burning a 20 min lipo with 10 min rests every 5-7 min of flying. I'm just now getting into fff in the pleasant confines of a gym.

I took my shogun outside for the first time this weekend and walked with it around the property. The extra "moving" air in the great out of doors provides some exciting elivation changes.

I can "kick the tires and light the fires" on my sim program. I have to say it helped in orientation in real model flying but......I can't say I ever got nurvous about doing an inverted, peroetting figure eights on the sim. My heart just about failed at the top of my first few shallow stall turns in the gym with my shogun and my nurves were really cranked just trying to hover my first heli a few months ago (22a - Hornet II knockoff by walkera......<sigh>

Keep up the sim studys flyn3d.....it pays off monitarily, physically and mentally.