Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

piccolo, hornet, hummingbird, 22d questions

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

piccolo, hornet, hummingbird, 22d questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 11:24 AM
harralk
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piccolo, hornet, hummingbird, 22d questions

Hello, this forum is actually for the Df 22d (Dragonfly) fp heli. But I had a crazy idea to upgrade the rotor head to CP since the rest of the heli is all ball bearing, cf, and otherwise very good quality. (Kind of impressive for a cheap chinese knock-off) If anyone knows very much about the actual hornet, piccolo, or hummingbird, your info would be much appreciated.

Below the swashplate, the heli is a clone of a hornet, except with all metal tail drive gears (one point I like very much). From the swashplate up, it's a clone of a hummingbird. I know I need to get a longer main shaft to put a cp head on this thing, but I was curious if anyone knew the main shaft sizes of the hornet, hummingbird, and piccolo. The shaft on it is 2.9mm exactly. I can't remember what the shaft size was for my piccolo that I had, but I was kind of thinking of putting the piccolo cp head on here. I could put the hornet head on here and make it an actual hornet, but the piccolo head is cheaper, and I won't have to get another radio right now. Eventually I'm going to just get a better heli, but since this thing is a hybrid already, I figured I'd just take it one further. It's kind of my little frankensein project right now, and any info on the three helis would be much appreciated. Also, if anybody has one of these, or the 22A already, you can share your pics, stories or advice. I had some problems with slop in the rotor head linkages, but otherwise it's been a great little heli.

Thank you
Old 08-01-2005, 08:01 AM
oops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: piccolo, hornet, hummingbird, 22d questions

The 22A is a Hornet II knockoff.

They are not built that well, and lack a thrust bearing.

I had one which flew OK, and another which vibrates VERY badly and was seriously damaged before I got it. (Although it wasn't obvious until I took it apart).

Go ahead and modify it - it's a lot of fun

Shafts are 3.0 mm. (Or just a touch under, but 2.9 seems a little thin).

You can get a longer shaft and make the upgrades. The 22D seems like it has the same chassis as the 22A, so get a 22A Servo mount, and then use ECCPM....

After that, the head goes together just as it would on any other helicopter. Above the swashplate, there is no dependance on the Heli chassis.

Regards
David