Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Newbie, with a simple question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Newbie, with a simple question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Kodiak Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, with a simple question

Hi guys, just spent about 2 hrs researching what heli to get to start out with, and I am torn b/t this: http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-ELECTRIC-HELI...QQcmdZViewItem

and this: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/honeybee.htm

Both look like a good deal to me, but which would be a better trainer for "mostly" outdoor flight? basically something to fly around the house (have big open yard). I have the cash and am ready to buy...just not sure which is better...especially after reading the E-bay auction description!

HELP!!!!

Shane
Old 09-20-2005, 10:47 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Newbie, with a simple question

I would suggest the ebay one, if only because it comes with a seperates setup, which can make your life ALOT easier in the long run.

While i've never flown the Feda helicopter, I have flown the e-sky honeybee, and as far as micros go, I think it's probably one of the most stable of it's kind in terms of flight.

The Walkera #4 is also another good option aslong as you get one of the newer versions of it. It's also comparably much cheaper in price. It does not come with a seperates setup and so does limit you in some regards like the e-sky one does. The electronics are all incorporated into a 4in1 board (esc, mixer, gyro, receiver). The Feda one has everything seperate, which means, in the event of a problem, you can simply switch out the problematic piece instead of replacing the whole 4in1 unit.

Also, stand alone gyros usually work better than integrated ones in my experience, so the Feda one would be superior in that regard aswell.

Outdoor flying is not something these small micros are good at unless you happen to live in an area with winds under 3 mph. Fixed pitch micros just don't handle wind very well at all. They're great for days with little to no wind, but anything more than a slight breeze makes them unflyable.

Really, most micros fly pretty much the same, with only small differences in stability among them, usually due to simple modifications like head stiffeners, thicker blades, etc. The biggest factor in performance most of the time is the electrics setup. I think that should be your deciding factor here. That feda bird looks pretty good, i'd buy it, aslong as the seller backs the product and sells replacement parts, as you will crash it and break parts, that's a guarentee.

Hope i've been able to help some
Old 09-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Kodiak Kid

Yes that does help me. I am just torn on which one would be a better beginner heli. I flew real H-60 copters, but R/C is totally different. So, the ebay one is going to be a better bet? dollar 4 dollar anyway? Basically I want something under $250 that I can learn on, can have some fun on, and learn everything I need to know to start flying 3-D.

Thank you again,

Shane
Old 09-21-2005, 06:18 AM
Kodiak Kid

Anyone else? or is it pretty much a cut-n-dry decision?

Thank you guys again for the help!
Shane
Old 09-21-2005, 07:36 AM
thecheatscalc

well one of my suggestions is to get the 36. youhave fp mode and 3D mode as well so once you get used to the FP mode you can flip a switch unstead of buying a new heli. it also has a belt driven rear which makes it so you never have to replace tail motors/gears that wer out after 1-3 hours of flight time. you can usually get one with a li-poly, blades and maybe a brushless motor (suggested in extreme) for under $230 off ebay.

PS: what's your budget?
Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 AM
bwanna

I bought one of the FEDA helicopters from that same seller about a year ago, and I can tell you that it does not come with separates, what it comes with is a 3 in 1 bolted to a reciever......so basically it is a 4 in 1!! It doesn't even look like they have changed the ad at all since I bought mine. I also didn't receive the flight simulator and when I contacted them, they told me to download FMS as it was the same thing that they would send me. I was never able to get this thing to hover and finally about a month ago, I bought a barebones E-Sky and moved everything from the FEDA to it and it seems to be a lot better helicopter. Just so you know, I would consider myself still a newbie because I haven't put in as much time to learning as I would like, but I have other interests, and get spread a little bit thin on all of them. Take this for what it is worth, and whatever you decide, have fun, I know I have!!!!

Dan
Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 AM
hoj527
My Feedback: (1)

If you want a decent RTF type Helicopter, I would lean toward the E-Flite Blade CP. It flies out of the box, can me "upgraded" for 3D and won't break the bank - less than $250 in basic form. The 3D upgrade add-on package is about $30.

If you're going to get in this hobby and stay in, I would look at the EVO Shogun or T-Rex electric Helis. They will cost you a bit more in the beginning, but in the long run you'll be better off. Both are MUCH more stable and are better fliers and with a good brushless set-up and LiPos, can do most anything a pilot can throw at them.

All three of these have good customer support and lots of help and tips are available from forums like this.

HTH,
Bob
Old 09-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Kodiak Kid

ORIGINAL: thecheatscalc

well one of my suggestions is to get the 36. youhave fp mode and 3D mode as well so once you get used to the FP mode you can flip a switch unstead of buying a new heli. it also has a belt driven rear which makes it so you never have to replace tail motors/gears that wer out after 1-3 hours of flight time. you can usually get one with a li-poly, blades and maybe a brushless motor (suggested in extreme) for under $230 off ebay.

PS: what's your budget?
Budget is about $250...and after what I have read...Where do I find the "36". what would I search under? Like I said, I am very new to this whole genre of R/C (prior nitro truck junkie). Could you possibly point one out to me? or give me a better keyword to use to search E-bay? Thank you again...

And for Xmas, my wife is getting me either the Trex or the evo-8. But she wants me to learn to fly something smaller/cheaper first..hence why I am shopping around

again, I appreciate your time helping me out!

Shane

EDIT: ok, which of these would be better...I actually found a few on e-bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-3D-6-C...QQcmdZViewItem

thanx again guys!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Kodiak Kid

Or even better?

http://hobby4less.com/prod_heli_df35_adv.htm

If so, what about the "ease of flying" level b/t the two?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:17 PM
-pkh-

I've heard mixed reviews of Walkera quality... especially their electronics. With that said... the first two helis you linked to have belt tail drive, one has a brushless setup, and the cheaper one is brushed... brushless is the way to go IMO. The third one you linked to has a shaft drive for the tail... I'd go with belt drive over shaft drive... more rugged.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:06 PM
thecheatscalc

that's the under state ment of the year... really if you can get a brushless belt driven tail with a li-poly battery you're on top of the game.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Kodiak Kid

Ok, Wife just gave me the OK to up the budget to $450. Any changes in opinion? or just stick with the brushless deal?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:58 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a dragonfly 4 that I picked up for $80 to practice on and it needs some mods to become a little more stable. I have flown a Raptor 30 before and they are night and day when it comes to stability and much more pricey. For $80 I couldn't pass it up. I would definately consider the T-rex as parts and aluminum upgrades are everywhere and you shouldn't outgrow it as it has collective control. The micros are much more difficult to fly as I am finding out, but money was a deciding factor. I have the FMS simulator with the T-rex loaded and I hear it flies allot like it does in the simulator, especially when you add a little wind into the simulation. FMS is free and you can get a cable for your transmitter for 20-40 dollars on E-bay. Check out heli-hobby.com as they have many models and great customer and parts support. For $450 you can pick up and well set-up T-rex with Li-po power.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:42 AM
NOZZARCHELI

kodiak kid.....Go for the brushless......then upgrade your lipo and charger.......check the heli over and fly.......good luck...Matt
Old 09-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Kodiak Kid

I am now looking at the Trex 450XL brushless. It has a belt driven rotor, brushless, LIpo, and is within my price range...I am going to call helihobby later today and see what kind of package deal they can hook me up with
Old 09-22-2005, 11:40 AM
thecheatscalc

do you have a controller/rX (controller and reciever) as well as servos? most things like that are kits and do not have all you need.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Kodiak Kid

No, I was gonna get a combo kit. I am going to call them later...I have found some on e-bay NIB with everything you need for around $400. Gonna try a hobby shop first, since if I ever need help, I will have it.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:14 PM
NOZZARCHELI

Go for it......even at $400 it's well worth it.....that's if you can't get it cheaper at the shop of course....if not go for the DF36 it's also an awesome heli in mye eyes....iv had no problems at all.....exept when crashing lol......cheers guys

Matt
Old 10-06-2005, 05:55 PM
bdavison

If you can afford a Trex, definatly go for that. Its an awesome helicopter.

If your looking for something cheaper, skip all the FP stuff, and go get a E-flite Blade for $220 bucks. Full CCPM heli, and parts are cheap and available just about everywhere, and if somethings defective E-flite will fix it fer free, and its got good electronics and servos. Servo's are awesome. Ive smacked mine in quite a few times, and never....NOT ONCE stripped a servo.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:34 PM
sportygreg

I considered getting the Feda before I bought my Dragonfly-notice the title of the video Dragonfly Belgium.Also notice the Feda dealer doesn't mention Dragonfly in his list of "bad" helicopters-that's because the Feda is a Dragonfly with different radio.If I had a budget of $300.00 I would get a Blade CP and the aerobatic package and perhaps a good battery and charger.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:21 AM
thecheatscalc

I'll suggest a 25A esc with a align420LF motor, as well as a 2200mAh, on a 36. yes the free li-polys work just fine, I can fly for about 15min with one and I have more than enough power. if you want a pic I'll try to put it with the rather heavy training gear in the 36 thread. it's a worthy trainer and shouldn't fail you.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:45 AM
electron

Maybe someone on here can help.... First let give a Little history on this project.

I have had an E-sky for a about a year but the 4in1 stopped working only after about an hour of flight. You would give it slight throttle and it would just give full to the tail motor. I have read that this is pretty common and it's the ESC for the tail motor which means the whole 4in1 is fired. Needless to say, to make a long story short I threw it to the side for the last year because of that. Well until I got the itch here lately to try it again so I purchased a GWS 300 3in1 and separate blue bird receiver so I could use my 9C with it. Well I have it all back together now and have started trying to hover again. And I have to say I am doing pretty good, maybe it was that flight simulator time I have put in here lately. Anyway the help I am needing is which way is the right way for the tail to move with your stick movement. I have it set up where if I give the rudder stick right the tail moves left and the nose moves right. Is that right? I new to heli flying so if this is wrong I would rather reverse the servo and learn the other way before I get to used to it. BTW I have it set the same way as the simulator does it and I am used to planes which that is the way they work as well.....