Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

#4 smoked and still flies!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

#4 smoked and still flies!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default #4 smoked and still flies!

I just installed my Thunder Power 11.1 LiPo and after 10 seconds puff! And what a sick smell of burned something.[X(] i took the receiver apart and the input resistor(at least that is what it looks like) smoked and lost half of it's insulation.[:@] I cleaned it up and powered up again and that little sucker flew and hovered at 1/3 throttle![&:] I'm not asking any questions but it works and has more power than this little helo needs. I went to half and the thing took off like a rocket to about 60ft before I knew it![sm=surprised.gif] Anyone else smoked this component in their number #4. I don't know how long it will last but I'll fly it till the rotors fly off![>:]
Old 10-31-2005, 04:25 PM
chench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: #4 smoked and still flies!

Jeez I envy you man. I burned my 2nd reciever the other day and the main motor controls gone []. Im gona have to fork out £15 for a new one!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:39 PM
sportygreg
My Feedback: (2)

Confucius say:He who fly with stinky 4 in 1 must have thumb up behind!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 AM
DarkWombat

Amen.

Haha you're so lucky you didn't ruin it yet.
Quick, send it to Horizon before it's destroyed for good and beyond all redemption (and warranty support!)

...Oh this isn't a Blade. Figures, the 4-in-1 is pretty darn robust in that thing =P
Don't know if you CAN get it serviced...
Old 11-01-2005, 12:36 AM
neweheliflyer

If you have the Dragonfly #4 like this one ([link=http://www.hobbyjapan2000.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=DRAFLYE]#4 Helicopter[/link]), then you can not use the 11.1V lipo as they are too powerful, you need the 7.4V one.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 AM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

At one time, the 4in1's used to take 11.1 very well. Many users here had good luck with 11.1 volts. Lately, Walkera has made some changes to their boards. Now they go up in smoke if you sneeze on them.
I've been using my original 4in1 from my first Walkera (2004 model) forever. It's seen so much use that I actually had to resolder the battery wires to the PCB because they became fatigued and broke off.

I've also gone through 2 of their newer 4in1's, the first going up in smoke the second I plugged it in and gave it some power (on 7.4 volts!). The second lasted for a week or so, untill my brother had one crash, and he mustve gone in with the blades under power for a second or so before cutting it down. Guess what, kentucky fried ESC!

Don't know what Walkera's doing, but they should revert back to their older 4in1 models, because the new ones suck.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:17 AM
cptsnoopy

if you throw a 380sd motor (the same ones on the #35, #36, #40 and #45) in the #4 you get gobs of power from a 7.4 lipo. less chance of frying the tail motor or 4n1 also. you need a small adaptor and at least a 12 tooth pinion but they are easy to come by.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:11 PM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I consider myself lucky and mine is 2004 model (without the reinforced head). I smoked my tail motor finally and am going with a high volt ducted fan from Tower. I cranked it yesterday holding it down and no smoke and it screamed without heating up the main motor too much. I just wanted to see if it would withstand max current and all is still well. I'll have to strap my LiPo under the receiver platform to get it to balance with the ducted fan unit, but oh well.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 PM
fmata5

Just installed new 4in1 on DF#4 after frying my old one and motor. 1in4 worked great for 1 charge it flew like a champ then I moved to my second bat and poof up in smoke! I'm not sure if it was defect or I make a mistake on the batery. Does anyone know how to solder the battery ? [>:]

Fly it likes it stolen!

Blade CP
DF #4
DF #37
LMH 110
Old 08-10-2006, 09:33 PM
castaway93

you r really lucky. most people like myself would have to fish out 50 bucks for that sick smell.
Anyway, sounds like u smoked the resistor, and that's what it does; resist the extra volts from going into your electronics. Go to a local electronic store and get a 4.7, a 10 ohm, and 15 ohm, 1 watt resistor (don't know how big the burnt one is). remember the size diameter of the un-cooked part.
remove and solder 1 resistor at a time, the smaller ohm first. if you still have too much power, go to the next one...and so on
the half-cooked resistor may work for now but once you let the battery run too low while flying, it may burn other sensitive components in the 4-in-1 board.

by the way, how'd you like the heli? how long is an average flight?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:03 AM
fmata5

I'm flying for about 5 mins a charge. It flys much better after I installed Super Landing Gear Kit. The extra weight helps keep it stable.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=846

Great news there may be a fix to some fried 4in1 controllers [8D]. Read the following post. My 4in1 only shows 1 chip fried and it's a 4410. I'm going to order a few and see if I can get this ship flying again.

http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...ic.php?t=17665

I'm flying my Blade CP until I get the 4in1 working again or a new one in my hands. My LMH 110 is also a great flying machine!

BTW I have not had any luck with my DF #37!!!

Fly it like it's stolen!!
[>:]