Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Thecheatscalc's 36 tuning and assy

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Thecheatscalc's 36 tuning and assy

Old 01-15-2006, 04:07 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thecheatscalc's 36 tuning and assy

ORIGINAL: rcrolauk

Hello guys! Really great forum, I've just bought a #36. Had already ordered it when I read all the bad things about the Walkera #36, so I was very doubtful about the quality with this heli. Had the same problems with no lift, but I've managed getting it in the air with some fine tuning now. Guess the battery is bad (as you guys have mentioned). I have the stock brush motor, but I am going to buy a brushless motor, new gyro and li-poly batteries. Is this the one I shouldn't buy?? The same company that sold me the Walkera, also offer this type of batteries...wonder if it's from Walkera as well?
That doesn't look like a Walkera.

As long as the batteries haven't been laying around and are fresh, they should work.

I've even used lower capacity, 1300mAh for shorter duration 3D stuff to greatly lighten the heli.

You should try the #36, #35 or #22a with a 76 gram 1300mAh battery.... this gets very nice.

I haven't weighed a 1800mAh battery but I'll bet the performance is comparable.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:12 PM
opjose

Tips for newbies:

GET A KITCHEN TURNTABLE!

I picked up a 12 pound granite turntable (Lazy Susan for us older guys...) for a whopping 11.00 at a kitchen supply store in a mall.

It is heavy enough to held down all of my electrics (I use small clamps although I'm considering drilling in permanent hold downs...)

That way you can fine tune the heli while it's on the table, and even run it up to see if the tail is going to wander on you.

The inertia of the granite is just large enough to dampen the quick movements just a bit, so that you are adjusting for the things.

Add to this a microheli pitch gauge and a bubble level to the turntable and you have yourself a nice "tuning station" for your birds.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:48 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: kg4izw

i am almost ready to tune my #36 for the first time, as i am a new pilot, and wanted a BASIC list of the tools I must have in order to do basic adjustments and repairs to this heli. I have about 15 hours on my preflight sim, but dont want to lift this heli off the ground without making sure I at least have a fighting chance to fly it. thanks paulb.
If you want a fighting chance of not destroying your heli, you'll have to find someone to teach you or switch to a sim with a better flight model.

Preflight is pretty bad... try G3 or Reflex.

Yeah, the costs, I know.

But it WILL pay for itself in broken parts which you will not have to replace.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:55 PM
opjose

Fixing the tail shafts:

I had the need to try to fix a couple of bent tail shafts yesterday. One for a #36 and one for an #22a.

For main rotor shafts I usually use a Panavise, Vacu-Vise which has a "V" groove cutout in the head that can grip the shaft securely, by applying a LOT of force on the shaft I can usually straighten it out.

With the tail rotor shafts, this doesn't seem to work.

TINY variations in the shaft cause it to look perfectly round, but still rotate with vibration or a side to side movement... I had no luck straightening the tail shafts...

Looking for a solution to this, I tried heating the STEEL tail rotor shafts using a propane torch.

I heated the shaft until it was red hot, then inserted it into the vise, and clamped it down as tightly as possible to let it cool.

Once cool, I repeated this with the shaft rotated 90 degrees around it's own axis.

My gosh it worked!!!!

It was absolutely PERFECT after this.

Remember I tried this on the STEEL tail shaft holding the blades.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:16 PM
g13b

each cell must never drop below 3.2v, and must never be charged above 4.2v, or,
How do you check this?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:30 AM
rcrolauk

Thank you for your reply opjose. My #36 is sitting on the ground at the moment (have done so the last two weeks) because of a defect gyro....which replacement I haven't yet received [:@] Yes, very annoying. The tail is going at full pitch when I start the chopter, and the servo keep locking itself at that position. I first thought it was the servo, but I've checked this out with another servo I know works. So - it doesn't seem to be the problem. Anyway, I've heard quite a bit about the Walkera electronics, and I expected to replace this one anyway. But - I would like to fly it while waiting for the replacement ofcourse...now it's just spinning as soon as it get's lighter on the skids.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:25 PM
thecheatscalc

hey, I'm going to do another section, I'll help you after this rcrolauk, ok?

FIXING shattered/broken frames *requires a trip to your local hardware store*

here's the part list:
1. JB kwik or JB weld, I prefer quick, it hardens MUCH faster (set time is 4 min, usable in 30min, and dried in four hours) Jb weld will work as well, it's a bit stronger and can take up to 600 degrees F instead of 300 degrees, not an issue (set time is about 10 minutes (with lightbulb within a foot of the joint) usable at four hours and hardened at 10, both types stick to magnets, especally fun with super N50 neodimum iron boron magnets ) it's just inconvenient to hold it until the glue turns to puddy.
2. a sutable CLEAN piece of 2-3mm thick plastic, preferably black or near black colored, if it's painted it's not accepable, clear and white plastic is no good either, I used the battery cover from a zip zap controler...
(yes, I'm desperate to save some bucks, ok?
3. a file, dremel, sand paper, or bench grinder
4. hands
5. a set of jewlers/ small head phillips screw drivers, jewlers are best.
6. hack saw, or bench/ band saw, bench as in one that runs off an arm that vibrates up and down real fast, NOT a circular saw!

Let's get started shall we?

you crashed hard and broke part of your frame, GET THE BROKEN PEICE!!!

notice that some of the frame is missing, it SHOULD be covering that gyro up, and holding up the servo (check your's if you don't believe me or need visual referance)

"oh gee... now I've got to get a new fr..." stop there, no, you don't. you fix, you save, you keep money till need it.

here's what you do:

step one, if this is a component where SHEAR force will be applied, instead of tension some special steps need to be taken. using the JB kwik glue the peices back together (see the picture, if you look closely you can see the joint, it's infront of where the motor wires come out of the frame)

step two, let 10 minutes elapse, while that is happening, take your peice of plastic and cut it so that it will brace the joint, roughen the surface to be glued with sand paper.

step three, take that peice and glue it down over the joint, use JB LIBERALLY and fill every gap, smush it down untill it won't go any further, wipe away excess glue, and make a nice edge around the peice like you would caulk. *note* this step can be done during the glueing of the original peices, it's MUCH harder, and the stregnth is in the glue and between the peices.

here's what it should look like, position of the peice is different depending on the break

Step one alpha, the peices glued back together are TENSION peices, this is easy, make sure no dirt is where the joint is to be, push glue into the proper place, and stick the peices back togheter, this is EASY, if the location is next to a servo, remove servo first.

here's what that looks like *note* if you couldn't find the missing peice before, you can clearly see it here, note that you CAN use the plastic to fill the gap if you lost the peice.

there you go! you've fixed the frame, remember, those skids don't glue well, the plasic is a good example of what type of plastic is NOT acceptable. JB weld is wonderful because it glues to itself just as good as anything else! so, if the joint breaks, sand off some of the glue to make space for fresh glue, and just re-glue.

congrats! you just fixed your frame, please ask questions if you need help, and, if you're stressed by your crash, take a look at the below crash, it's great for lightening up your mood.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Okisub

thats one "ghetto heli" you've got there Cheat!
Old 02-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Culver10

Great thread! Thanks for all the great info. I have one on order right now.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:57 PM
thecheatscalc

okisub, heh, yeah, the frame has finally given out on me I noticed that the autorotating gear wasn't meshing properly with the belt drive, so, I haven't been able to fly it for a while (again) fortunatly I'm getting a spare frame soon, so it should be back in action depending on when the ground delievery decides to take my package from HK.

PLEASE NOTE: when fixing problems that affect gear meshes, you may have to use the JB weld THEN taking a HIGH stregnth string (those airplane tire strands are 20lb test rated by the way, quite excellent, especally when I have a huge spool of the stuff) and wrap it tightly around two parts of the frame so that it would push the joint TOGETHER, get this as tight as possible, and if the gear meshes are good, then douse the strands (should be wrapped around 10x-15x) in CA after you tie the ends off. I put the glue and didn't push the ends toghether, well well, only the gear tips were touching.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Culver10

I got mine yesterday and have started going through it. I pulled the receiver/speed control out of it and also the brushed motor. I will try the Walkera gyro. I was wondering if I should try the servos or yank them also? Has anyone had good luck with the Walkera servos??

Thanks!!

Phil
Old 02-16-2006, 04:43 PM
thecheatscalc

I've had great luck with the walkera servos, actually, they're faster than my HS-55 feather servo! (the blue one) [X(] they'll do fine till you either strip one, of, somehow the servo driver fails, which, is really odd that it did on mine... you shouldn't need to pull them off for a good while till you get some good wrecks on your machine (and they start to malfuntion) one more thing, why did you remove the RX? was it not working, or just preference? remember that other Tx's don't work with the walkera Rx.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:47 AM
ranger175rgr

is there such a thing as tracking and balancing the rotor blades, and if so how? i have a 36 but it has some vibration to it. any suggestions
Old 02-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Culver10

You most definatley need to check the balance and tracking of the blades. I imagine there is lots of information on the forums about it? The center of gravity of each blade has to be the same and then they need to balance also. Once they are balanced then the tracking needs to checked and adusted if required.

I changed out the electronics beacuase of all of the bad info I read about them, also I went brushless and wanted to put it on my new Optic 6 radio. I will use the servos in Slow Stick or such. I hope to fly it in my hanger tonight and I will let you know how it works!

Regards,

Phil
Old 02-19-2006, 06:41 AM
ranger175rgr

been looking in the forums for walker 36 havent seen anything about the track and balance. on another note i have herd alot of talk about motors and batts. i am getting an align 420LF for mine but what is the best charger and batteries to get to go with it? looking at using an 11t with the 420LF
Old 07-16-2006, 05:24 AM
hls104

what a fantastic 36 forum i have two s hand copters and i think the previous owners have had a combination of all the lift and rotation problems you describe.They appear to have burnt the motors trying to get them to fly.have noticed that when a full battery is used the copter has less tendency to autorotate but the motor s get extremely hot and the current draw appears to rob the electronics of control due to current draw.does this sound feasible . your forum gets top marks for hands on and graphics.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:46 PM
thecheatscalc

actually, it seems that the motors themselves aren't burning, it's the internal speed controls which really aren't up to the task! replacement electronics seem to do the trick.... unfortunatly...

Hey, update, I've got EVERYTHING FIXED! what's that, yes, I have replaced EVERY SINGLE ELECTRONIC ITEM ON THE 36, I know I said I wouldn't but, that 401 wouldn't work with the stock tx/rx system....

Now I'm figuring out the options on the spektrum controler (please, if you know exactly how to set throttle/ pitch mixing and a "3D" mode, like the walkera TX, I'd be MUCH obliged!

here's what I've gots:
spektrum 6ch Rx/Tx
spektrum servos + one futaba tail servo
35A speed control (I blew the 25A one...)
align 420LF
401 gyro
Old 11-14-2006, 07:41 AM
lukedane

Hi, I have recently bought a Synapse Heli made by Kimax Models? can anyone tell me the dip switch sequence for the transmitter??
I know it is very very similiar to a Walkera Dragon Fly or at least looks like one??
Has anybody heard of this model?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Spadkun

This guide has been a great help in getting my Wankera flying. I am now fed up with the supplied radio, so glitchy!
I read somewhere in one of the threads about how to set up the heli with a normal radio, throttle curves etc. I have searched and searched, but can't seem to find that post again. Anyone remember where it is?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
W1ldBlueYonder

WOW! What a GREAT forum! I got a 36 off of eBay MONTHS ago...have purchased a few replacement parts and tried the simulator (which I find poor quality for a simulator) but have yet to fly this monster. I think it's previous owner screwed it up and got all the alignments out of whack. I was a airplane guy for about 15 years and decided that I didn't have time to go to the park and fly so I bought this in hopes of just flying around the house. Cheatscalc.....we aren't that far apart....any chance we could get together some Sunday afternoon and have you help me with the setup? I've purchased the Aluminum CNC head assembly and haven't the first idea of how to put it together....the heli nor the head assembly came with any instructions. Keep up the good works! Looks like a lot of ideas for me to try out.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:01 AM
gazanoosa

Hi your help is invalueable,
I was wondering if you could help me with a problem i am having with my 36#, this is my fisrt helli, when i throtle up the motor runs and turns the top cog but the bottom cog and in turn the blades do not, it didn't do this when i fist got it but within 2 hours of operating time has gotten worse to the stage of not turning at all,
do you have any ideas?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
lonewolf65

I purchased a brushed 36 a couple yrs ago and have decided to get my money out of it. Yep needs a rebuild, I have ordered a new metal rotor head.
I will begin with I am a newbie but have flown at a beginners level before but am reentering helis as a newbie. I bought the 36 without doing research so now that ive learned about its faults time to start over.

I am looking for recomended parts. I dont plan on any 3d so it can be a beginners upgrade level and budget minded This is a side line to F/E boats.

1 tail rotor upgrade who and where and $$$
2 motor esc cells Useing stock main gear brushless who , where and $$
3 servos ( think my pitch servo is striped)
4 decent radios I would like to try a plane in the future also
5 what ever else im forgetting.
6 ive got it im rebuilding it so naysayers save ur typeing no bashing please
ive got the idea lol I like to build as much as run my r/c
I have lightly gone over this thread and am looking for info to guide me in my purchases
Thanks in advance Dave hope I worded this ok...
Old 03-02-2008, 09:03 PM
lonewolf65

I have also recently purchased a head upgrade and found this link for instructions hope it helps
http://www.walkera-heli.com/download...nstruction.pdf

I would also like to thank cheatscale for the hard work put into this thread, it is the best i have found so far. I am interested in getting a sim that would be good for this heli and also some easy fly planes..
Thanks Dave
Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
flashprash65

I have a raptor G2 and am trying to switch out the stock rx to my Spektrum DX6. But for the life of me i can't figure out how to plug in this gyro to the rx to get the gyro and the rudder both working??.

The diagram in my Spektrum manual shows there should be 2 wires coming out of the gyro that plugs into the "GER" and "RUD" port of my rx. But the gyro only has one plug to the rx. the other is a female plug for the rudder servo to plug into the gyro.

Please help
Old 07-01-2008, 07:59 AM
hfenn

You have a rate gyro (it only has one setting). One end plugs into the rudder port on the rx and the other to the gyro. A heading hold gyro (two switchable settings) has the other plug with a single wire that goes to the ger channel so you can switch from rate mode to heading hold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.