Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Eco 8 mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 08:38 AM
heli-john

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eco 8 mod

I expect this has been dealt with already, if so could someone point me in the right direction please.
I would like to power the Rx and servos from a separate battery. I realise this will mean a change to the ESC but what do I have to do exactly please?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:55 AM
tirley154

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Eco 8 mod

Remove or cut the RED wire from the receiver plug of the speedo and isolate it for safety. This removes the power input to the speedo disabling the BEC, so you will then need to add a receiver battery to power your servos and the receiver itself.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:20 PM
maxim_jd

Or, rather than having a separate battery (why add extra weight?) you could employ a UBEC. These are typically more powerful than the BEC on the ESC, plus you have options - with some of the more expensive ones providing 6 volts to the cyclic servos and 5v to the gyro/tail servo. Or, if you must have a separate battery, do what casitas14 states, or check your ESC manual, some provide configuration for turning the BEC on or off I believe.

Just my .02.

J
Old 02-05-2006, 05:22 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

With a heli like the eco-8, a small receiver pack won't make a huge difference in flight. I fly with an RX pack mounted on the front. Actually, in my case, since i'm using a 10 cell pack, in order to keep the heli balanced I NEED the RX pack, haha.

A UBEC is obviously better, as any weight reduction is good, but it's not really nescesary.
They're certainly more convenient though, that's for sure. It's a real pain having to charge several batteries for just one flight .
Old 02-06-2006, 11:56 AM
heli-john

Thanks everyone. I've seen a suggestion to use a short extension and cut the red lead on that. With regard to charging I was hoping that a separate battery would see several flights.