Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

HoneyBee CP2 Mainshaft/Gear -> Blade CP??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

HoneyBee CP2 Mainshaft/Gear -> Blade CP??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:51 PM
BoneHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HoneyBee CP2 Mainshaft/Gear -> Blade CP??

Does anyone know if the HoneBee CP2 Main Shaft and Gear will fit without modification on the Blade CP? Part # EK1-0266 and EK1-0238.

I'm looking for something that's a direct replacement, but will be easy to replace the main shaft. It just makes much more sense to have 2 pieces instead on 1. I've read about the Century replacement gear/shaft with Auto Rotation, but I do not wish to modify anything at the moment. Auto Rotation is definately something I would not mind, but not at this time. And I'm running completely stock, and do not with to go to lipos at this time.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 PM
AJ DRAGON

Default RE: HoneyBee CP2 Mainshaft/Gear -> Blade CP??

Hi

As far as I know they swap right over. Next month I plan on getting 4 CP2 main shafts and 1 main gear for going my Blade cp.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:55 PM
BoneHead

Thanks AJ Dragon.

Let me know how it goes!!
Old 04-22-2006, 09:46 PM
BoneHead

Has no one done this? I cannot believe that I would be the first to try this on a BCP!!

I can't really afford to wast the money on buying parts that I will never be able to use.
I am very limited to where I can buy from (online and LHS), as most online store charge too much to ship to Canada and all the LHS are at least a 1.5hr drive away from me, and don't stock much of what I want or need.

If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Jerry Brown

I know people have done this but I believe you have tom dril a new hole in the shaft. Not sure. Check on runryder.com and ezonemag.com on their forums and I'm sure you can find something.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:32 AM
poiyt

a CP2 main gear & shaft that I ordered for my BCP from helidirect (they rock, btw) came today... I've not put everything together yet, but here's what I see so far- the gear itself is much more robust than the BCP stock gear... much truer & a bit thicker...it's designed very well...so it goes thru both shaft bearings ok when put into the frame, but it looks to me like there will need to be a spacer or washer of some type between the gear and where it contacts the frame's bottom bearing, or else it will rub the frame...
and the thought of trying to drill a tiny hole thru the curved surface of that shaft makes me shudder

I'll report back after I try a total ass'y
Old 05-31-2006, 07:45 PM
AJ DRAGON

Hi

Here are two links to the conversion.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422918]Converting Blade CP to Esky CP2 head. [/link]

[link=http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t241099p1/]blade vs. honeybee mainshaft?[/link]
Old 05-31-2006, 07:56 PM
poiyt

thanks... gotta replace the stupid paddle control frame 1st...

have you tried this mod?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:47 AM
AJ DRAGON

Hi

I just have to get the main shaft. Also the HBCP2 main gear is about 3 to 4 teeth bigger then the BCP main gear.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:42 AM
poiyt

they look to be the same diameter, and the teeth on the HB gear seem to mesh better w/ the teeth on my stock 9-tooth motor pinion...but if as you say the HB gear has a few teeth more, then maybe I need to go to a 370 motor with 8 teeth, to maintain the proper gear ratios and torque?... thanks
Old 06-02-2006, 08:42 PM
cessna152pilot16

so do u really have to drill a hole. i wanted to do this upgrade but now im scepticle. is there an easy way of doing it
Old 06-02-2006, 09:01 PM
poiyt

negative- no drilling!!

I put mine on, adjusted the pitch control linkages and the servo control linkages and it works & flies great!! I had mess around a good bit getting the main blade pitch correct (using idle-up for neutral pitch), but once that was done, and I rotor head balanced, all's well (so far)!!

I can tell you this: the HB2 gear is much, much more robust than the BCP gear it replaced, and I was amazed to see how "true" it is even at high rpm- i.e., the gear doesn't move up and down against the motor pinion, creating that sound, like the stock gear did

just for kicks I also replaced the stock BCP center hub & spindle set w/ the equivalent HB2 set (got it from helidirect... they rock!... they remind me of newegg) and it fits & works fine & looks better...although I've just hovered around the garage so far

what I'm beginning to notice is that with just about every BCP part I've replaced w/ an HB2 part, the HB2 part looks to be better built & engineered than the the BCP parts, which look cheaper- so now, when I get a part, I try to get the HB2 equivalent

just my $.02

Old 06-02-2006, 09:10 PM
poiyt

sorry, didn't answer your question... no it's not hard to do, just a bit time consuming on the initial blade pitch setup after installation

also, since the HB2 shaft is taller/longer, I used a 3mm bearing (as a shim) between the top of the gear and the bottom of the mainframe; since if I didn't, the HB2 gear would rub the frame

now we all know the BCP is extremely sensitive to weight, and this new gear is I think a few grams heavier than the one it replaced; but not enough to make a huge flight difference (I'm running a 11.1V 1000mah lipo, 9T main motor, & helidirect sym woodies [$8 bucks a pair!!! thx helidirect!!])...
she decends a bit faster, so I have to stay on the throttle a bit sooner on descents- which is why I'm going to drop a tooth and try an 8T main motor, so she'll have more torque (anybody else try this?)

but other than that, a pretty decent mod!