Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:27 AM
nate81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

ORIGINAL: dditch

Nate, did the guy you bought it from say it would not fly or did you buy it "as is"?
he should have hovered for you if he did not say it could not fly.

His ad said its been sitting for a year or two.....his battery was dead, so there was no way to test and see if it would fly. I kind of just took his word....and for $40 ....who cares ya know. So, i gave him $40 for the heli and then i bought a new battery for about $12. I accidentally broke the chintzy little skids taking off the training gear...lol. So electrical tape is holding that together for now. and The rear motor isn't working...so

$40 for heli
$12 for new battery
$10-15 for new rear motor

and then if all that makes it fly...i'll buy the super skids for about $35 ...so in the end it'll probly be about $90 i guess....i suppose i could have just bought a Falcon 40 V2 instead lol

Old 08-28-2010, 11:52 AM
nascarfaad

ORIGINAL: maxmax77

I got my Mini Titan flying! Wow, 6ch birds are so sweet...they're like the falcon with superblades EZs hovering, only a billion times more responsive and easier to navigate! I've only hovered it for like 4 minutes so far, but the heli is simply fantastic...I want another one [sm=lol.gif]

-Max
Great job Max~! Isubscribed to the "Struggling with single rotor basics V2"forum some time back so I've been following your progess. All of that struggling with theFalconpays off in theend...and to think youalmost quit. Looking forward toa vid.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 AM
maxmax77

nascar; thanks! It's a lot different than the falcon, and is suprisingly easy to hover! I can't believe I almost quit too lmao .

Here's the vid of me hovering it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruaxrM15yMY[/youtube]
Old 09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
o6298

Max thanks for posting the video. I haven't seen you around here much these days.
What would you say is the biggest difference between the falcon and the mini titan is? Also what skills do you see that folks moving up to a 6 channel heli would have to learn?

Nate
Look in my gallery for pics of the fuse mod I made.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: nate81

Wow, very very large thread we have here!! For all of my Falcon 40 V1 needs i'm sure! ...
Welcome nate!

-Dave
Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
dditch

Nate, did the guy you bought it from say it would not fly or did you buy it ''as is''?

His ad said its been sitting for a year or two.....his battery was dead, so there was no way to test and see if it would fly. I kind of just took his word....and for $40 ....who cares ya know. So, i gave him $40 for the heli and then i bought a new battery for about $12. I accidentally broke the chintzy little skids taking off the training gear...lol. So electrical tape is holding that together for now. and The rear motor isn't working...so

$40 for heli
$12 for new battery

and then if all that makes it fly...i'll buy the super skids for about $35 ...so in the end it'll probly be about $90 i guess....i suppose i could have just bought a Falcon 40 V2 instead lol

GOTCHA!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: o6298

Try this:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4826535/anchors_6855651/mpage_118/key_/anchor/tm.htm#6855651]Fuse mod[/link]

nascar; thanks! It's a lot different than the falcon, and is suprisingly easy to hover! I can't believe I almost quit too lmao .
Nice hovers! I told you not to quite!

-Dave
Old 09-07-2010, 03:33 PM
dknovick

What would you say is the biggest difference between the falcon and the mini titan is? Also what skills do you see that folks moving up to a 6 channel heli would have to learn?
Max can answer as well...

The "bigger" heli (bigger then the falcon, anyway) is a lot more stable.

With the falcon you're controlling the rotor RPM to change the lift (fixed pitch). With a CCPM (Cyclic, Collective Pitch Mixing), you control the pitch while keeping the rotor RPM "constant". There is a bit of a learning curve to step from a fixed pitch to a CCPM. Everything you learn from the fixed pitch will translate to the 6ch. In some way, if you can hover the falcon, the larger bird will be a bit easier.

One important skill will be to learn to use the throttle hold after a crash, if you've switch to "idle up"

-Dave
Old 09-07-2010, 03:54 PM
nate81

Nate, did the guy you bought it from say it would not fly or did you buy it ''as is''?

$40 for heli
$12 for new battery

GOTCHA!

lol 'gotcha' ?? ya think so? i doubt it...because really... a new falcon 40 v2 is roughly 90 + shipping...and i'm gaining experience in fixing my own so...i win!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:29 PM
maxmax77

Max thanks for posting the video. I haven't seen you around here much these days.

Nate
Yeah I haven't been around here much, been kidna busy lol. everything that Dave said I totally agree with. Now, comparing the mini titan and the falcon...where to start . The Falcon is definitely a good trainer heli, but looking back i kinda wish I had just practiced on the sim a lot then got a 6ch heli. I can't say for other helis, but the mini titan is a very very easy bird to hover. If you add a bit of right stick you can bet it'll go right and continue to go right, but if you have it hovering straight and take your hands off the sticks, assuming you have a headlock gyro, it can hover for at least 7 seconds before you have to add input, so it's kinda like a falcon with superblades in that way.
now, on the skill level. IMO as long as you can hover the falcon rock-solid for a full battery pack and maybe do a bit of side-in hovering you'll do fine with the Mini Titan; it's very easy to learn on, you just need to set up your tc right for a beginner.

hope that answers your question
-Max
Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
o6298

Thanks for all the good info.I'm now thinking its time to get a better heli.
I'm gettingfrustrated with the lack of power from the xtreme 380 motor. I think it is on its way out and I dont want to put any more money into it.
I'm open to suggestions to what heli should Ilook for. Something I can build on and wont break the bank.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 PM
maxmax77

Chris; Oh boy. As they say, you "just opened a can of worms" . IMO the Mini Titan v1 is the best solution for the affordability-to-performance ratio. I love it, it's super-responsive and does everything you tell it to. It also has an extremely simple design, so replacing parts is cake. It's a tough heli too; far tougher than the falcon, and you can get it really cheap used. There's a large spare parts availability, and it's pretty mainstream (a lot of people own it.) I got my Mini Titan kit with a motor/esc for $125 shipped (used, and it had cnc upgrades), then got all the electronics (servos, gyro, etc) and spare mainblades+ a lipo for $50 or $60 (i forget which) shipped from hobbypartz.com, then got a computer tx/rx for $30 shiped used (I got an extremely lucky deal there.) So, you can expect your total for a used Mini Titan w/ a radio to be around$205-$250. I also got a bunch of spare parts, so my total was around $300.
Then of course, there's the t-rex 450. That's a fantastic heli, though it's a lot more expensive. I've tried to find comparisons between the two and some people favor the mini titan, others the T-Rex; I guess it's a matter of opinion. I myself can't speak on the matter, as I neither own nor have flown a T-Rex of any kind.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:27 PM
dknovick

I myself can't speak on the matter, as I neither own nor have flown a T-Rex of any kind.
I love my Trex450 Sport (but I can't compare it to Max's MT). It's also a tough beast, very mainstream with lots of parts (and help) available.

You can go with a clone. I know lots of people who love em and lots who say "never again!". Some say you'll spend more, since you'll just be upgrading all the parts from the clone one-by-one as they break.

How much are you willing to spend (for heli, and replacement parts)?

-Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 05:27 PM
o6298

Initially I wouldn't mind spending around $250 to $300. It doesn't have to beRTF. I could do what max did and get a kit and then buy the electronics etc later.
Seeing that winter will be here soon in New England and I most likely wont be flying as much itwould give me time to read the other forums and get more familiar with what I’m about to undertake.

Spare parts are always an added expense and what I ended up doing with the falcon was buying items as they would break and then some extrato place a minimum order of 50 bucks. Of course now that I've been flying this heli for a while I rarely crashand so now I have a bunch of spare parts that I might never use. I'd like to avoid this way of buying parts if at all possible with the next heli.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 PM
maxmax77

chris; here's what I would do...keep an eye out here on rcu and rcgroups (rcgroups always has a lot) for a nice, used 450. Once you see one you like, whether it's a T-Rex or a Mini Titan or any other 450, I'd get it. like I said, I got my MT with a motor and speed controller for $125 shipped w/ cnc stuff, so don't pay much more if you go that route. Then after you've had time to mess around with it a little to see where everything goes, and had time to stare in dumbfounded wonder at your new heli, I'd get your electronics (if they didn't come with your heli) Of course you'll need a radio...if you don't mind if it's not 2.4ghz, then you can expect to get a good uised computer radio for about $50-ish

-Max
Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 PM
dknovick

Initially I wouldn't mind spending around $250 to $300. It doesn't have to be RTF. I could do what max did and get a kit and then buy the electronics etc later.
I consider most 450s in kit form. Because even it's "built" you'll want to take to apart, check for lock-tite / oil / grease and put it back together (Even one your bought from someone else).

Keep an eye out, do research, and look for sales 'round x-mas time!

-Dave
Old 09-11-2010, 10:03 PM
o6298

Thanks for all the help guys.  I now feel somewhat confident in the direction I'm heading. I'm sure I'll have more questions that I probably will be posting in the struggling forum. 
Old 09-15-2010, 07:19 PM
dbdixon

I have been flying a Falcon 40 for several years.....just finally replaced the motor and now the heli will lift off only 2-4 inches....I have lost power, same blades, new battery.....blaenced....I am stumped. Did I blow out part of my 4in1? bad motor?
any suggestions on what to investigate?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Yellow Crow
My Feedback: (1)

dixon,
I don't think you have hurt the 4in1. If it was blown, no motor what so ever. My best guess from my past experience, is that you have a bad motor. What motor did you put in the bird?
Jim
Old 09-15-2010, 08:55 PM
dbdixon

Stock motor brand new from xheli......only this one has the circuit board on the rear for the caps....any difference to the original?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Yellow Crow
My Feedback: (1)

dixon,
no difference in the motors. However before we completely condem the motor a couple of things to check. BTW, one of the first mods we made to the falcon early on was to can the OEM motors and up grade. Those motors were crap. But make sure you remove the lable covering the vent holes. Then go back and double check your motor pinion to main gear backlash(this is very important). Also check that the pinion is not loose on the motor shaft. Then spool up your heli in a dark area and look in the vent holes and see if you see a lot of sparks inside the motor. If you do then get some contact cleaner and spray into motor and then spool up. It don't take much of this to do the job. You might have to do it a couple of times. This will help seat the brushes. DONOTUSEWD40!!!
Hope some of this helps, let us know.
Jim
Old 09-16-2010, 12:39 PM
dknovick

++1 to what Jim says.

Usually, when you blow something in your 4in1, the motor doesn't work at all.

-Dave
Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 PM
maxmax77

+1 to what Jim said too
Old 09-16-2010, 04:45 PM
o6298

Here is something interesting that happened to my falcon for no apparent reason. Last week I couldn’t get the heli off the ground more than a foot or so. It has flown fine in the past and gradually got worse. After troubling shootingI found that the blades were no longer tracking and were off by at least an inch. I changed out the blades and now it flies fine. I checked the blades once they were off the heli and they didn’t look damaged or bent. I suppose I got a bad blade to a bad set of blades. Anyone here ever have a problem like this?
It has been my experience that the blades being out of balance and not tracking properly wasa huge problem withlift and hover issues. This has happened after a blade strike or minor crash (one that didn’tbreak parts). Checkyour main blade tracking bypainting one of the blade tips with whiteout bring the blades up to speed to determine a problem then use scotch tape tomake adjustments.

Also see Post #: 9345
Old 09-17-2010, 08:33 PM
dknovick

It has been my experience that the blades being out of balance and not tracking properly was a huge problem with lift and hover issues. This has happened after a blade strike or minor crash (one that didn’t break parts). Check your main blade tracking by painting one of the blade tips with whiteout bring the blades up to speed to determine a problem then use scotch tape to make adjustments.

Also see Post #: 9345
To go into more details. Check the CG and balance of the blades off the helicopter. (lots of stuff online on how to balance blade, if you get confused, just ask)

Grab two blade, and find out where they balance, and if you have a scale, how close they are in weight. Add scotch tape to the lighter one on the underside of the blade to adjust it's weight and CG.

For tracking, as Chris says, paint one tip white. With the heli in a hover (the blades have to be under load). Make sure the two blades are in the same plane. If not, twist your painted one (or unpainted one), to increase it's pitch (or decrease it's pitch) so that the two blades track in the same plane.

-Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.