Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:27 AM
robotronski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Simon,
Good diagnosis when you switched the servo leads.

Sounds like the problem followed the questionable servo.

There is a rotary potentiometer inside the servo that determines feedback and its probably got a wiper making intermittent contact.

Servo is always "Hunting" as I call it.

Contact Raidentech and ask for some help. They claim to have good cutstomer service.

I understand you just received the heli, you should have some consumer rights here for sure.

If they give you a hard time, let me know. I'll get involved and try to help.

Good Luck.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM
jacksflying

I HAVE A QUESTION???
I HAVE LITTLE HELI EXPERIENCE. GOT A FALCON 40 THAT HAD ALOT OF HOPPS. KIND OF UP AND DOWNS FINNALLY FLIPPED AND BROKE A MAIN BLADE. GOT THEM YESTERDAY ONLY REPLACED ONE NOW I HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF VIBRATION..WHEN I START TO POWER IT UP IT NOSES TO THE LEFT AND HOPS A BIT. ANY IDEAS WHAT IT COULD BE?????? HELP ANYONE.... THANKS JACK....
Old 11-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Simon Thorpe

I tried using a LiPo 7.4 from my Blade CX and it worked well... the only problem was mounting the damn thing. Anyone here used LiPo's? If so, how are you mounting it in the heli?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
TheVirus

Jack, please turn off Caps Lock. It's rude and annoying to type in all caps.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:47 PM
bart77

From my understanding, a heli will naturally strafe to the left on take off, until you get about a foot off the ground. Do you use a training gear?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 PM
jacksflying

yes i was using a training gear when it crashed for the last time and broke a blade... I have since purchased a blade cx and understand the concept alot more,, I think i see were i went wrong. Just wondering if maybee i broke someting i dont see. I did notice last night that the servo on the right side was loose,from what i see it just slides on a channel of some kind,so i strapped it with a tiewrap and the shacking is better but it still circles to the left.. I think i should just go to an indoor gymnasium or basketball court indoor and see what happens....
Old 11-01-2006, 03:58 PM
bart77

So is it rotating to the left or sliding left???

I broke the swashplate guide off of mine in a crash it would not go to the right at all. When the swashplate rotates a quarter turn with only the servos holding it, she doesn't guide so well in the air...... Didn't notice it rite away.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Simon Thorpe

Called RaidenTech support, they are sending another servo and i'll swap over, if it fixes I send the faulty one back. Excellent support from them...
Old 11-01-2006, 04:14 PM
jacksflying

its more like a contant left drift if its on the ground. it hops with a left movement.. if i snap the throttle it will lift quickly but it will do a quick 180 degree turn.... i do appreciate your time thank you
Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 PM
TheVirus

Got mine today, definitely a sturdy and solid bird. Vibrates a bit before take off and is difficult to keep stable. The TX feels very cheap in comparison to the Blade CP Pro one. I had fun with this one but it's still a handful.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:36 PM
robotronski

Mr Virus,
most small helis vibrate while spooling up. Its normal. When I got my 22E I decided to test out the range for the radio by placing weights on the skids and spooling up the main rotor. At 1/2 throttle the heli almost explded to bits from vibration. I tried everything to eliminate the vibes and never found the source. One day I decided I was going to fly with the vibration anyhow and spooled up the heli, and hovered without incident. It was the rigid contact of the heli frame to the ground that did not allow the vibrations to dissipate naturally. Some larger heli pilots have this problem as they spool up if the have too much grip from their landing skids and the ground. I don't know the technical name for this problem... I'll bet there is one though.

Oh and the Tx feels cheap because it IS CHEAP !!! LOL

Still mine works fine, no complaints.

I did open it up and steal 2 switches from it for another project. Its really only a 4-ch TX even though everyone calls it a 6-ch in their marketing of the heli.

How would a fixed pitch heli use all 6 channels anyhow??

I did adjust the detent spring slider on the left hand stick to make the ratchet effect on throttle a little easier to overcome, easier/faster motor control with that simple modification.

Good luck with the flying...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:41 PM
robotronski

ORIGINAL: Simon Thorpe

Called RaidenTech support, they are sending another servo and i'll swap over, if it fixes I send the faulty one back. Excellent support from them...

Thats good to hear !!!!

I too have had good luck with Raidentech.

They are a stateside company with a repution thats worth protecting.

Glad that problem will be resolved soon.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:53 AM
TheVirus

If you turn up the throttle will your heli stay in position or drift and spin about on its own? It's tough getting used to the heli wanting to move on its own, still fun nevertheless.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:48 PM
TheVirus

It seems the pitch control (right stick up/down) doesn't actually link to anything on my heli. I had a minor crash and I don't know if something fell off but I can tilt the blades and they don't move the servos at all. There are 2 knobs on the swash plate that have no arms on them, is this normal?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Uh... sounds like servos are connected to the receiver? Just check the connections and make sure also that you're not missing any of the little control links that connect between the servos and swashplate, and those that connect between the flybar and blade grips.

As for 2 of the knobs being unused on the swash plate, yes, they are just there, since you only use 2 of them in a fixed pitch heli like the Falcon 40.

Kinda sounds weird, unless you can post a picture to better understand what's going on with the rotor head.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:35 PM
makatron

for those who wanted to know if walkera and exceed were the same here are the pictures
of my two tx, one from my walkera 22e and one from my falcon 40

they just change the tags!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95497.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	553516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25996.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	553517  
Old 11-03-2006, 12:45 AM
TheVirus

I'll post a quick video when I can.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:29 AM
robotronski

ORIGINAL: makatron

for those who wanted to know if walkera and exceed were the same here are the pictures
of my two tx, one from my walkera 22e and one from my falcon 40

they just change the tags!!!

Well, they are not exactly the same. Electrically the 22E transmiiter is, in fact, a 6-channel Tx. Observe the writting next to the switches on the upper left and right corners on the 22E Tx. When you active Dip switch #8 on the back of the radio those knobs actually do something with regard to main rotor pitch throws/travel.

On the otherhand, the Falcon 40 switches are just there to fill two vacant holes in the transmitter. In fact, a while back I needed two switches for a project that has nothing to do with helis and I stole those two switches cuz' it was easier than driving a few miles to get to the radio shack store!!!!

I agree with you that they are made by the same mold/design (probably even the same factory too).

Old 11-03-2006, 08:58 AM
rnicholson

Falcon 40 vs the Falcon 3D what would be the deciding factors of one over the other?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:10 AM
makatron

robotronski

i wasnt saying that the two tx were the same, because i know they are 6ch and 4ch

my point was, you can buy an exceed or walkera and still getting the same package, but they are sold at
different prices, so get the cheapest offer for the same heli sounds nice for me

my exceed falcon 40 still the easiest to fly chopper i ever tried
Old 11-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Hey guys, just curious. I ordered a Falcon 40 and it should be here today. I've flown a Blade CP, and right now a SRC Dark Knight 2 (fp). It is painfully obvious to me that the Blade has a lot more quality in it and hence the $219 price tag, compared to the $129 D.Knight 2.

I am able to hover tail in, and fly forward / backward and sideways. Nose in or sideways is another story.....

On the Blade, the gyro, after some tweaking was almost rock steady and the tail would barely twitch. I could let go hands free and the thing would hover for about a second before needing input, and the tail would hold pretty much straight (slight movements, but no hard twichiness visible).

The Dark Knight on the other hand, after having messed with the gyro to the best of my abilities, is either quite twitchy and works ok, or on the other hand will intermittently cut in and out and make it impossible to keep the heli pointed in the same direction. Never mind the cheapy looking plastic they use throughout the heli, compared to the stronger feeling composite (I guess) plastic on the Blade parts. Also the speed on the main and tail motors is not *quite* smooth. It is more noticeable at lower throttle on the tail motor, which, unlike my Blade, never stays steady from one second to another second (that's holding the heli in my hand at low rpms) Also, the main motor is audibly not spinning smoothly at lower throttle. I don't know if it's like that at high throttle/rpms because everything else is louder and faster.

Now my question is, is the gyro on the Falcon twitchy? Or decent? Does it have a tendency to act all bonkers and spin the heli around randomly (like my Dark Knight did during certain gyro settngs). Does the speed controller work the motors smoothly? Or are they kinda jittery at low throttle like my description of the Dark Knight 2? The servos?

Well, in a few hours I guess I'll find out.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:28 AM
makatron

mine behaves very well, i was hovering right out of the box with just minimal trimming

but remember you get what you pay, the falcon pricetag is 89 bucks, do not compare with the blade cp

most of elcheapo electronics in almost all under 100 buck helis arent flawless, but i consider that the falcon
has a decent gyro for its price, even though im going to buy a better gyro to give some upgrades that can be used in
my next heli instead buying things that just fit the falcon

i had this heli for few weeks now and i had so much fun with it, i highly recommend this heli for begginers or pro pilot indoor flying
Old 11-03-2006, 11:14 AM
robotronski

I'm sorry. No offense please.

I misunderstood your statement regarding the TX's.

Glad you're flying good too !!!!

Its a very windy today (20mph steady) , and my big flying room at work is being used for a conference so I'm out of luck.

No flying for me till Monday!!!!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 11-03-2006, 11:42 AM
robotronski

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

Now my question is, is the gyro on the Falcon twitchy? Or decent? Does it have a tendency to act all bonkers and spin the heli around randomly (like my Dark Knight did during certain gyro settngs). Does the speed controller work the motors smoothly? Or are they kinda jittery at low throttle like my description of the Dark Knight 2? The servos?

Well, in a few hours I guess I'll find out.

Nope, the Gyro on my Falcon 40 is better than the one on my Walkera 22E. I still have a minor tail wiggle on the 22E that I attrubute to running 11.1V LiPo's.

No glitches at all on the Fal 40 gyro.

You can hear it work when I do a piroette as the poor little tail motor really gets fast as I put the heli through its paces.

If you want to get an appreciation for gyro operation do this test:

1. Unplug the connector supplying power to the main motor. (Important step please do 1st)
2. Turn on the transmitter, set throttle to lowest setting.
3. Plug in heli battery
4. Hold heli in your hands by the main gear
5. move the throttle to about 1/3 position, the tail rotor should now spin.
6. Hold the heli steady and you'll hear the tail spin at a fixed RPM.
7. Now , suddenly move the heli as if it were pivoting on the main rotor axis and you'll see the tail rotor RPM rise or fall
depending on the direction of movement you are providing.

The gyro is simply compensating for induced movement by either adding or subtracting power to the tail rotor.

This is a quick/fun method to test a gyro if you suspect a problem.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:47 AM
robotronski

ORIGINAL: rnicholson

Falcon 40 vs the Falcon 3D what would be the deciding factors of one over the other?
Welcome.

1st of all, have you succesfully flown an electric mini-heli before?

Any Simulator time under your belt?

How are you flight orientation skills?

These are big deciding factors in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.