Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for an E heli

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Recommendations for an E heli

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:00 AM
kris1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for an E heli

I am looking to get back into heli's again. I fly fixed wing and flew a raptor 30 some years back and was able to fly it around OK, but sold it when I wanted some new fixed wing kit.

So what I am looking for is an electric heli with collective, a good aerobatic potential, but stable for a beginner. I fly fixed wing as I say and run my electric aircraft on 3s1p 2500 4s1p 3700 and 5s1p 3700, It would be good to use these packs. I am open to different sizes, but don't want an indoor only heli. . Any thought would be well received.

Thanks

Kris1
Old 10-12-2006, 12:13 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Recommendations for an E heli

My T-Rex 450 runs on 3s1p 2100. So the 2500's you have would work. Might not be a perfect fit, but if you measure your packs, we can find out.
What is your budget like? My brother just got a T-Rex 600. It is as stable as a 50 sized nitro. It runs on 6s 4900mAh packs.

If you have flown a 30 sized notri, I think you will be largely disappointed if you go with anything less than a T-Rex 450.
Vince
Old 10-12-2006, 03:04 PM
futura

I agree Vince,

Like with planes, the smaller the heli/plane, the less stable its flying characteristics will be. I'd bet you'll not be to happy with anything smaller than a 450 size.

The new zoom 450 is VERY nice....take a look. Protech Zoom's are big in your part of the world kris. The excitement about protech's newest zoom 450 is really big right now.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:55 AM
kris1

OK I will look into the zoom 450 and the T Rex. I agree with what you say. I tried a pals picalo and hated it. Found it very difficult. If these two helis can be run out side and fly well with the potental to some aerobatics I will be resonably happy.

Cheers

Kris
Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Super_Dave

I second getting the T-Rex but if you wanted something a little cheaper then the Heli-Max MX400 is a great heli. There is nothing wrong with the quality but its only $140. Of course you need a radio, four servos, brushless motor/speed control, and a gyro. It uses 3s1p 2100 li-po batteries so your 2500 should fit. Its not as 3D capable as the T-Rex but from what I heard its a little easier to fly because the blade grips are a little loose (but you can also fix that).
Old 10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
neweheliflyer

The Walkera No. 60 is good helicopter and cheap in price too ([link=http://www.linknety.com/modevideos/demo/zoom.php?id=16]Information[/link])
Old 10-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Pyrock

My advice would be for a Trex. The Trex SA was just released and it is a solid preformer for $199 for the kit. It's just like the SE but with an aluminum frame instead of CF and theres some plastic in the tail and head. Check out the capabilities in the hands of Alan Szabo Jr. here...go towards the end of the the page and you will see 4 vids of Szabo Jr in different conditions:

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t292521p1/
Old 10-26-2006, 12:30 PM
WhtBronco

The T-Rex can do anything you'll ever want for the most part. Autos are not very good due to the lightweight main blades and it is not as smooth and predictable as a 30/50 size heli. I'll also say that I have as much money in my T-Rex as I do in my Raptor 50 and the Raptor 50 is more fun to fly. It's smoother, more predictable and a bit more stable. The 50 size helis are also less effected by wind. I have flown my T-Rex in 15 mph winds and it flies okay, but does get tossed around a bit.

If you want the convenience of flying almost anywhere the T-Rex is a great choice, but if you're gonna mostly fly at a flying field then I suggest a 50 size heli such as the Raptor 50 or the Evo 50. I keep my T-Rex in the car all the time since a 15 minute stop is enough to get in a flight. You might consider the T-Rex 600 if you have 2 of the 3S1P 2500mah packs since they will be perfect in the 600 and it's a 50 size heli.

One other thing to consider the larger helis are much easier to see even at only 100' away. I find it very easy to lose sight of the tail on my T-Rex 450, but never have on my Raptor 50.