Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

XRB SR Crazy Carbon Frame assembly/flight review

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

XRB SR Crazy Carbon Frame assembly/flight review

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:59 AM
Gear-Head
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XRB SR Crazy Carbon Frame assembly/flight review

FINDING THE GOODS:

So after repairing my stock tail section on my Hirobo XRB SR for the third or fourth time due to a mild landing I had enough. The search was on for something better other than the flimsy (although very nice looking) tail section. After a little bit of google searching I found Ballistic Technology ( http://www.ballistictechnology.com/ ) has an all carbon fiber air frame at an extremely reasonable price! So I placed my order and waited eagerly, I received an email within 12 hours letting me know when I could expect my new airframe to arrive.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised at the clean neat packaging that came with the frame. To keep costs down Ballistic Technology sends assembly instructions via email. They had sent me the instruction a few days before, I decided to read them in advance so I would not have any questions when the kit arrived. The instructions were simple and clear, any questions you might have are clearly answered with the high quality pictures included in the instructions!

ASSEMBLY:

The assembly was pretty easy and straight forward, with just a little bit of prep work needed to get things to go together right. There are slots milled in the frame where the parts fit together. Just as the instructions stated there is some very minor sanding required to get everything to go together as it should. I spent about 5 minutes and gave all the slots a quick sanding, I tried one piece before and it was in fact too tight. Once the sanding was done everything pretty much snapped together.

I decided to go slightly against the directions and fit everything together dry (with no glue) it just made assembly much much easier. Here are just a few pics of the assembly process...

Here is the bulk head assembly

The cockpit and tail boom stand offs

The whole assembly minus the tail fin. (That would be the tail fin laying right next to my hand)

Once all the pieces were together I went back and glued them together. Just a normal CA works great (super glue) dries fast and is very strong!

Now it was time to tear down the old frame, remove the motor case, and everything that comes with it and install it in the new frame. Now this was the only point where there was a little frustration but it was very very minor. The lower gear is an extremely tight fit on the new frame and proves to be a bit of a challenge to get in place. Once that is in place it is a matter of 4 zip ties and it is installed. Now I know you may be thinking zip ties are going to be a weak point. But if you think about it with a machine with as little mass as this heli they are more than strong enough. I was pleased when I got my motor assembly zipped in place it was very secure! One more minor change I chose to make, the instructions recommended unspooling the antenna off the factory plastic piece and bundling it up in shrink tubing then gluing that to the air frame. While this is a fine solution I chose to CA the factory antenna holder to the front of the new airframe, I just felt it looked cleaner.

FINAL ASSEMBLY THOUGHTS:

WOW, this thing looks really cool, and is extremely rigid! I have no complaints at all, easy assembly, nice looking product, A+++ customer service!!! I did want to show you the amount of stuff that comes off the heli. I was blown away when I looked at the pile of leftover parts!

Look at all that extra weight!

FIRST FLIGHT IMPRESSIONS:

I started by tracking my blades in (Just to make sure after they had been handled a lot) I always balance my new blades when I buy them, I mark the matching sets to make it easy when I need them. So balancing was already done. I made a couple small hops just to make sure my trims were all set where they should be then take off. I scared myself as I typically take off at about 75% throttle, with the new frame and weight loss 50% throttle is MORE than enough and 25-35% is about hovering range. With some minor trim adjustment I was able to set my controller down, walk across the room grab the heli, let go of it and walk back to my remote. It stayed within about 6-8" the whole time. I am very pleased with this result!

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

Ballistic Technology manufactures a great product, high quality and very functional!!! I have been nothing but happy with them from the time I ordered to present! They have fantastic communication, the product is easy to work with and performs flawlessly! I not only highly recommend them but I will be placing another order with them for the swash plate!

Thanks Ballistic Technology for a great experience!

I am in no way affiliated with Ballistic Technology other than being a customer, my experience with them has been so wonderful I chose to write this review!

Jason M. Ray