Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Official HDX-450 Thread

I haven't found much organized info on the HDX helis, so I thought I'd start this thread so those of us with these great helis can exchange info and people can ask questions about them. I think the HDX is a great budget alternative to the Trex-450 helis, and are similar in quality. Even if this thread doesn't get much traffic or whatever, I'll answer any questions, and post pics and videos of my HDX, and help out as much as I can. Hopefully we can get a fan-base established in this thread like the more popular helis have in their sub-forums. Now then, get to flying!

TR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36146.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	702438  
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Official HDX-450 Thread

I'm thinking about retrofitting the tail grip, pitch slider assembly to my Dragonus gear box.I wonder if you could give me the measurement of how much drive shaft there is from the outside of the bearing to the outside of the grip hub.It doesn't need to be exact No disassembly needed. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I think I might have seen you asking this somewhere else, maybe RCgroups or something I dunno, hard to keep track. I meant to answer but never got around to it. The measurement is about 31-32mm from the grip bearing to the end of the shaft, say 31.5ish.
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not that there are many people here yet to answer, but I'll put it out there anyway. I'm about to make an order for some batteries, a BEC (this one good enough?), some night flying blades, and a set of Align 225 Fiber blades. Anyway, what I'm trying to decide is whether to spend another $8 or so to get a replacement main shaft and traverse shaft. I have a bunch of spare parts for my walkera (I'd buy two every time I crashed and had to order parts) so that I could instantly be back in the air after a crash. I don't feel like I'll be crashing the HDX like I was the walkera starting out flying, so I dunno if I should just wait to order parts till I need them, or start accumulating some as I make other orders? What do yall (you singular maybe) think?
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for taking the measurement but as I thought it is 5-6mm longer than the Drags.That would restrict too much pitch slider movement,hence blade pitch.
    As far as the bec,the specs are fine but I don't like buying white box no name parts.It would be better if they called it an Acme Willy E Coyote bec.And how can you have too many parts because you are going to crash no matter how good you are.For my plastic Drag. I have a complete other heli in sub assemblies for a quick repair plus about $300 in parts for no down time.
    Don't buy those fiber blades.They may fly smooth for really light flying but they are heli killers.They chop booms in half, transfer all their energy into the frame in a crash.But if you really want them I have 2 pair of 325 blue ones that were sent to me by mistake.I'll ship both pairs to you for $15.PM me.
    One last thing.Could you give me the boom diameter measurement of the hdx.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I wish that BEC had a name, but I'll just have to trust it I guess. Thanks for the info on those blades, I decided not to get them anyway since I'm getting those night flying align carbon fiber blades. The boom diameter is 12mm outside to outside, 11 inside to inside.
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm still trying to decide whether to get some night flying blades or not. They're the price of a pretty good battery. The thing is that I always get home after work and it's already dark, so I can't fly. If I had night flying blades I could fly around the street with the dim streetlight no problem. I just dunno if I want to spend on a night flying setup.
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've decided to wait on the night blades and glow wire. Gotta have something to work up to, right? lol

If anyone knows, can someone tell me how long the stock tailboom for the HDX is? On helidirect the "upgrade" tailboom is 347mm. Is that longer than stock? If so would it be better to get a longer tailboom? Also, the stock blades are 325mm, not 315mm, correct? I'm about to order both parts is why I ask.
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

who is hdx? Where are they out of, US or China? How long have you been flying them and have any of you flown an art tech falcon 3d? how did the two compare?
    Rusty
    Castlerock Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HDX-450 is Helidirect.com's custom helicopter kit. It's based in the US, out of Massachusetts. They use the STK superframe which I think they designed, along with a bunch of other components, including lots of sonix parts. The HDX-450 is very similar to the Trex-450. I've been flying with a guy with a couple Trex-450's and I think my HDX is just as good. I've been flying mine a couple of weeks, and I love it! In one of the next couple of packs I fly I plan to try my first inverted loop. Can't wait!

TR
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I own an HDX-450 and I am very happy I bought it instead of a trex450. It is cheaper, and of GREAT build quality. I have crashed many times and not broken any of the cnc stuff. I couldn't be happier with my heli (unless of course I never crashed it).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What stage of flying are you in sambo?

I'm just shaking off my new-heli nervousness and starting to play around with it more. I've been practicing some FF, circles and figure 8's and it's going slowly. I'm just too afraid to risk crashing, but I'm trying to get over that little by little. Soon i'll be trying some inverted flips and rolls, since those come more naturally to me on the sim than FF. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm just moving it around now. I'm totally comfortable with tail in, still learning nose in. I really need some instruction from a pro to get my circles and stuff like that perfected. I think I'm coming up on flips and rolls too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats cool, i'm not very far ahead. I'm very comfortable with nose in at this point, but side in still gets to me. I think I need to paint my white canopy something a little more visible. When I'm doing FF, I get a little disoriented when it gets to the side in portion, then i get nervous, and bail out back to nose in or tail in hover. I'm working on it though.
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea I am still too scared of side in. I should really step out of my comfort zone and just do it, but that's easier said than done of course.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a video of me doing some nose in flying. God my brain hurts... http://youtube.com/watch?v=bSKiIlHzq1M

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice flying. I've been working on slower transitions, and smoothing things out. Gettin there slowly.
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got in my new parts today. Took some pics of the heli's new look! I still need to get a BEC so I can try out that new 4S lipo. I'm curious how it'll compare to the 3S setups. It makes the heli about 50g heavier, but the CG is just barely forward, where as with a 3S the CG is just slightly back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec87475.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	708836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dz80988.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	708837  
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice looking bird you got there! I used the cf tail blades for about 2 flights, until I crashed and they went out of balance. Now I just use the cheap align batman blades (4 for 5.25). They flop in the grips because they are too thin, but they work just great. I'm using the metal tail boom and carbon fiber flybar paddles. I have 2 mega power batteries and 2 hextroniks batteries (from unitedhobbies.com). Those batteries are awesome value. $32 per 2200mah battery is an awesome price and the quality seems great. I get pretty short flights (6-7 minutes) because I'm using the medusa motor, which sucks a ton of power and is quite heavy (100 grams). I'm also using metal landing gear because mine broke on the first crash. But I love the heli, and yours looks great

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I weighed the tail boom, and it is 6g lighter than the metal one, so a small gain there I guess. I got it mainly for looks anyway . I just finished soldering my deans onto the 3S lipo, and I'm going to test it out later today. I'll have to buy another set of connectors for the 4S lipo, but I'll have to wait to use it till I get a new pinion and BEC anyway.
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am still trying to get my newly finished HDX450 V3 dialed in. It was my fathers day present. I have a question about the esc, I am using a CC35 and wanted to know if it is better to use the govenor mode or the heli fixed endpoints mode.

This thing hovers rock solid, I ahve been doing FF with a Blade CP for a while this is much nicer to fly.

Sambo60 - I just ordered 2 of the hextroniks, so it is good to here they work well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gov mode usually works well for casual FF and sport flying, but for 3D it is usually better to go with throttle curves.
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey nomadd,
    I am using a CC35 as well and I don't use a governor mode. I just use throttle curves or whatever hehe
    I don't really know what I'm doing. Oh and today saw my first dead battery. One of my megapower batteries (which I've been using since april) came out after 5 minutes very puffed up and I'm not gonna fly with it any more.
    That's it for now

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sambo60 & TrumpetRhapsody,

I am just doing FF curently, I think I got it working correctly in govenor mode today, seems to be flying well. I am still getting used to it. Since I am not doing 3D for awhile I was thinking of changing the pinion to from the stock 13 thooth to a 11 tooth and maybe putting some flybar weights on.

Anyone try doing this on the HDX?

My hextroniks come in this week, I'll let you know how they work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I might be trying an 11T pinion on it soon. I'll be trying a 4S lipo setup, so i'll need it to keep my headspeed down. I'll let you know if I do.
    HDX-450 SE v3
    Walkera Dragonfly #36

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast