Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Low voltage alarms, do you use one ?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Low voltage alarms, do you use one ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:37 AM
ghost123uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low voltage alarms, do you use one ?

I have 3 heli's at the moment. I have not flown 2 of them yet.

MJX T34 Coaxial (modified) = flown a lot !
Blade 120SR single rotor, fixed pitch, will be flying it when the weather improves.
Neon Blaze (400 sized collective job from local hobby shop = spares available ) Will fly when I feel ready (after FP & sim time)

I converted the T34 to LiPo and it flew great For about 4 flights Then the LiPo pretty much died

I found (to my expense) that there was no low voltage protection on the T34, and reading around I discover that low voltage alarms on RTF Heli's seem to be mostly limited to warning LEDs.

I have now bought (very cheaply off ebay) a handy, lightweight unit that connects to the balance plug (1S up to 6S). It monitors each cell and sounds a LOUD alarm when any cell falls below a programmable voltage (I have set it to 3.3V). It also has a voltmeter, accurate to point 01 of a volt = very useful

I mention all this because these devices do not seem to be mentioned very often on here. Low voltage cut-off devices get more of a mention, but for heli's I reckon the device I use is better (for obvious reasons )

Do you use one dear reader ? (if not, why not ?)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM
cubaneight

Default RE: Low voltage alarms, do you use one ?

Hi.

I do use a 6S Turnigy warning alarm with LEDs & bleeper on my HK500GT. However I only use it as an indication of battery condition at the end of a timed flight so I can get a bit of extra hovering/ manoeuvring before landing. It's no fun to have a battery run down in the circuit, as even with the ESC shutting down gradually it does get a bit busy on the sticks! For me it's better to hover a pack out to determin a safe duration and stick to that (give yourself another minute as well to be sure). As for the bleeper, yes it's very loud on the deck with the motor off, but I've never been able to hear it above the sound of the heli even when hovering close in.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:11 AM
AKPhill

I do not use them.

I timed my flights when I first started to battery charge rate and increased fly time till I use the max the battery can give then set the timer on the tx and fly till it goes off it is set to give me enough time to land without over taxing the battery..

Works great to do it this way.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:09 PM
skeeter_ca

Perhaps you could tell us the name of this dandy unit and maybe a link.

skeeter
Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: skeeter_ca

Perhaps you could tell us the name of this dandy unit and maybe a link.

skeeter
Here you go= [link=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8S-Lipo-Battery-Tester-Checker-Low-Voltage-Buzzer-Alarm-/330818742849?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4d06556a41]Click here[/link]

Here is a simpler one with no visual voltage indicator, so it is lighter (and very cheap !) [link=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pcs-Lipo-battery-Low-voltage-buzzer-Alarm-Professional-BC010-/190764700563?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement _Equipment_ET&hash=item2c6a765393]Click here[/link]

Here is a picture of the type I bought (weighs 7 Grams iirc)

Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I would love to have one of these, but the first one you linked says it can not ship to U.S.A.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

I would love to have one of these, but the first one you linked says it can not ship to U.S.A.

Just type LiPo low voltage into your U.S. ebay - this link should give you good results [link=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=lipo%20low%20voltage%20alarm&_sop=15]U.S. Ebay search for LiPo low voltage alarms[/link] I note that more than one supplier is based IN the USA [link=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=lipo+low+voltage+alarm&LH_PrefLoc=1]Click here for USA stockists[/link]

Hope that helps.

The alarm sound can be heard above the motor and blade noise but is not screaming out over it. I have got into the habit of coming into a low hover and reading the display, just to get a feel for time v voltage.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use one all the time, though I am just getting into helis.

I prefer it over relying only on a timer in that I use more throttle on some flights than others.

Also, if a particular pack is getting to the end of its life and giving less flight time, it still warns me well before hitting low voltage cut off.

Could also save you if you got distracted and accidentily grabbed a pack that hasn't been charged.