Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

"Unofficial" Vulcan 450SE, Pigeon 450, GL450 Thread

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

"Unofficial" Vulcan 450SE, Pigeon 450, GL450 Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Dale_G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Unofficial" Vulcan 450SE, Pigeon 450, GL450 Thread

I wanted to start a thread for this particular heli which doesn't seen to be represented. I started another thread on this heli [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6245390/tm.htm[/link], bought one, and though it may be of benefit for all of us considering or flying this heli.

Xheli.com and raidentech.com sell this heli as the Vulcan 450SE, but I have not seen specific parts for this heli on their websites. Himodel.com sells it as the GL450 and they have parts. Bananahobby.com sells it as the Pigeon 450. The GL450 and Pigeon 450 have slightly different frames from the Vulcan 450, but you can see a family resemblance in all of them, and all of them are clones of the Trex and share many parts.

Anyway.....after accumulating all the necessary parts and pieces, mine took it's maiden flight from our deck late Friday evening with a 3-foot hover. Saturday afternoon, my son flew it around the front yard for a few minutes beginning the process of getting it dialed in. I plan to continue the thread and blog our discoveries and hope others with these helis will contribute too. Photos forthcoming.

Here's what we've discovered so far:
-My Vulcan 450SE came with no documentation or instructions whatsoever. You are on your own. For some good help, go to Trextuning.com. Download all of "Finless Bob's" videos on the HDX450, Trex450, and general videos like soldering bullet and Dean's connectors, ball links 101, thread lock 101 etc etc etc on Helifreak.com.
-It helps greatly to have someone with Trex450 experience who can help you.
-Go over the entire heli and loctite all screws that go into metal.
-Most of the fasteners are phillips-head screws. You'll need good phillips screwdrivers in sizes #00, #0 and #1. You'll also need hex drivers in 1.5 and 2 mm and a nut driver of 5.5mm for the blade nuts.
-I bought a set of fasteners for the helidirect.com HDX450 (which is very similar to this heli and another Trex copy) I'm gradually replacing the silver phillilps-head screws with the black socket-head screws. The hardware package only costs a few bucks - do it! Now I have plenty of spares and am getting rid of those darn phillips-heads.
-The links are marked with a "J" which is hard to see. My son says they're not very good. Replace with Align links.
-The blades absolutely, positively suck. Mine were warped and took a LOT of tape to get in balance. I'm not using them. Get the Align 325mm pro wood blades.
-You can get a spare belt from helidirect.com. Look for the one with "453MXL" in the description. Lube the belt with silicone oil or grease. Grease will cling better.
-The fins are metal. I'm replacing them with Helidirect.com's CF fins when they are back in stock. I want the blue or silver fins.
-You'll need to resize all the ball links as the head is pretty stiff. I had to file a little metal off the flybar control set on the inside bushings where it contacts the seesaw holder.
There was some binding there. You'll want to go over everything, and I mean everything, to loctite screws, add lube, and loosen things up.
-On the Vulcan 450SE you can mount the motor on the top frame, pinion down, or from underneath, pinion up. The Pigeon 450 only has the top mount option and I haven't seen a good enough picture of a GL450 to see the frame details.

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63956.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	768371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16298.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	768372  
Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Dale_G

Default RE: "Unofficial" Vulcan 450SE, Pigeon 450, GL450 Thread

Man, I feel like I'm playing with myself here!! 155 hits and no replies!

For those of you looking for information, I've got more. We're still getting it dialed in slowly. Since my original post, I bought a JR7202 transmitter and got all the settings transferred over to it. I'm going to be taking lessons from my son and we're going to use a trainer cord so I'm properly supervised!

Problems so far - the one-way bearing locks up when you spin the rotor head up and put a load on it. I was able to free it by hand after flights, but it would lock up the next time, so autorotation was not possible. I just received a replacement bearing and bearing tool I bought from HeliDirect and swapped the bearing out tonight. works fine now.

I got a "Mega Power" battery off Ebay for $36. 2200mah, 3s, 11.1v. With shipping it was about $45 delivered. HeliDirect sells this battery for around $50 plus shipping. Since then I bought a couple Li-Po's from fmadirect.com. These are great. They're smaller and lighter than all our other Trex 450 size batteries AND they last longer and have more punch. At $47.95 they're not a bad deal. I also bought the FMADirect Cellpro 4s charger - $75. I recommend it highly. Great charger and a reasonable price. It has numerous modes, and will safely fast-charge a li-po pack as well as do a slow charge, a 50% charge for storing the battery and it has a cycle to recover a pack that has been over-discharged. There is an optional computer interface so you can view your battery information and charger settings with the PC.

I got a 230watt power supply from a trashed computer at work and built a nice little 12v 9a power supply for the charger. The charger requires 5amps, so if you go the computer power supply route, you'll need a charger of around 200 watts minimum. All I had to buy was a couple screw-post/banana socket connectors and a 10-ohm 10-amp resistor. I put some rubber feet on it too.

I have some short videos of the first real flight, but have not been able to put them on RCVideos yet. Will make a post on the thread when I do.

Now that the days are getting shorter, I'm not getting home with enough daylight to practice hovering. Can't wait for the weekend.

Is there ANYONE else out there flying a Vulcan 450SE??? Building one??? Contemplating the purchase of one?

Over and out for now.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
TEKoosed

How ya doing? Thank goodness for this site....it might just be you and I for a while....

I guess I am the lucky one though because I am just a flat out ROOKIE when it comes to RC....

My uncle got me going several months ago and the bug just flat out bit me....though I am older I always wanted to do this since I was a kid....now that I am able to somewhat afford this hobby I am totally excited about getting going....

So what did I do....I jumped in with both feet and bought the Vulcan 450SE as my flag ship...hahahahaha

My thought here was not just insanity....I figured if I have to build the thing I will get a great understanding of what I am doing and how everything works....sounds good until I barrell it into the ground and watch it disintegrate...huh

Well so far what I have done (received the box last week):

- opened the box and thought about sending it back....hahahaha
- purchased a different set of landing gear struts from my local hobby store....really like them...heavier and look great....(jchobbies.com-buy online)
- installed land gear struts and skids
- attached fins and rear rud servo stuff....
- basically I am just getting started
- I am currently in the process of rechecking all of the screws and using loctite

I appreciate the info on the downloading of the videos....they are really halping alot....

I did purchase the Spectrum DX6 system after doing much reading and research....for what I will be doing over the next year or two I think this is a great unit..

Any advice on gyros?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:20 PM
TEKoosed

By the way....

My goal is to have my maiden flight next spring.....I will be chomping at the bit but this will prevent me from moving too fast...hahaha

Also I did purchase the following this evening off of Ebay....

Align Trex 450SE Tail Rotor Blade Set Black Carbon
$5.95 USD

Align Trex 450SE Flybar Paddle Black Carbon
$6.95 USD

Align Trex 450SE 325mm PRO Rotor Blade (Black/White)
$25.90 USD (2 blades I believe...2 sets?)

Align 430XL Brushless Motor (3700KV) RCM-BL430XL
$51.95 USD

T-Rex 450 Painted Canopy Fiberglass (Red/Orange/Black)
$20.99
this looks great.....

When I bought the landing struts I had also bought black carbon tail fin and stabilizer so I decide to match them up with the tail rotor blade set and the flybar paddle set. Maybe I am dressing this baby up too much for a beginner...but it will sure keep me from being too foolish...

I had purchased from "flyhelirus.com"

Looks like they shipped out same day....should get the stuff Friday....
Old 10-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Dale_G

If I were you, I'd put the stock tail rotor blades and flybar paddles back on - the CF stuff is too nice to be sacrificed in your first crash. Put the fancy stuff on after you ruin the stock parts.

I'd like to see some pics with the new canopy. I've been bidding FG canopies on Ebay for a couple weeks, hoping to get one cheap. Looks like they've been "discovered" now though. I missed out on a few that went for .99c!!!

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:37 PM
TEKoosed

Good advice on using the stock parts...I definitely will when it comes time to fly for the first time.

As soon as I get the canopy and other stuff I will put together some photos...I really appreciate your help thus far....as I said before...I have always wanted to do this...just never took the plunge....no pun intended..
Old 10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
pdx_senior

Without going into detail about my "model building / RC" history, I hope either or both of you will reply to this post about the Vulcan 450SE you both are working on.

If "money was no object" what products would you guys recommend to buy for the following items:
6ch 2.4ghz Tx/Rx
Servos
Gyro
ESC
Motor
Battery/Charger system
Anything else you suggest...

I'll explain if I must!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Dale_G

ORIGINAL: pdx_senior

Without going into detail about my "model building / RC" history, I hope either or both of you will reply to this post about the Vulcan 450SE you both are working on.

If "money was no object" what products would you guys recommend to buy for the following items:
6ch 2.4ghz Tx/Rx
Servos
Gyro
ESC
Motor
Battery/Charger system
Anything else you suggest...

I'll explain if I must!
Disclaimer: I'm not really qualified for "cost no object", but I'll do my best with what I know.

6ch radio - Spektrum DX6 (I'd go for 7+ channels and get a JR10x radio)
servos- HiTec HS65HB
Gyro-Futaba gy611 or Logictec 6100t w/Futaba s9650 digital tail servo
ESC-Castle Creations Phoenix 35
Motor - Align 430XL (sorry, not familiar with other lines)
Battery/Charger FMA Direct Cellpro 4s charger and Cellpro Revolution 3s 2100mah Li-Po pack - this pack is smaller and lighter and packs MORE punch than any others we've tried, and the 4s charger can charge at a 4c rate, plus has a lot of charging options
Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 PM
TEKoosed

As Dale said....I do not feel very qualified to "recommend" certain parts but I will at least tell you what I felt comfortable buying thus far...

I purchased the Spectrum DX6 system....I thought about the 7 channel but since I am just getting started I felt a "park flyer" system would suffice for now. But if money was absolutely no object I probably would go with Spectrum's DX7. Not really familiar with Dale's recommendation. And from what I have read and researched....the Spectrum's technology is on the cutting edge or at least advanced from other receivers. In addition, servo's and receiver come with the package so I would assume they work nicely together.

I also purchased the Alighn 430XL motor. There was a lot of positive info on this motor.

Not real up on the other components but will certainly research Dale's recommendations before I purchase myself.

I just came home from being out of town....work....I did receive the canopy and other items.....this weekend I will try and get some photos posted....
Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 AM
justin castillo

I am getting my pigeon 450 this Monday i cant wait. anyway my question to you is it looks good but does it fly good apart from that i am happy. i have put some gear together such as.
gyro. jr g410t
radio. jr max 66
esc. 60a
motor. kontronk fun400 23
rx. synthesized jr 7ch

is this gear suitable?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Dale_G

You won' t need a 60 amp ESC. 35A is all you need. I'm not familiar with that motor. Not familiar with the radio either, just make sure it can handle a ccpm helicopter. The heli's fly great, once you get them dialed in.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 AM
pdx_senior

thanks for the info guys. I appreciate your time.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Dale_G

Parts discovery!

I just discovered that the Vulcan 450 seems to borrow it's main drive/tail drive parts from the Dragonus II nv. The Dragonus uses the same belt drive arrangement and the parts as photographed and listed here http://www.helidirect.com/index.php?...sort=2a&page=2 . The tail drive cog, main drive gear and main drive gear housing and the MXL 453 belt on the following page LOOK like the Vulcan parts. Some of the aluminum parts listed as "collar" also look like the Vulcan pieces. The part they call a "collar" is an aluminum post with screw sockets at both ends similar to the pieces that connect the Vulcan flat frame pieces.

This makes me a bit happer as I have found almost all the necessary parts. The only parts that I have not found are the Vulcan frame items that are different from the Pigeon and the GL450.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 PM
TEKoosed

Thanks for the info....busy weekend....will try and get to photographing the fiberglass canopy I just received.

I took your advice and ordered the ESC-Castle Creations Phoenix 35 and the Battery/Charger FMA Direct Cellpro 4s charger and Cellpro Revolution 3s 2100mah Li-Po pack.

Still trying to decide on the gyro though I am leaning towards the Logictec 6100t .

I haven't done anything on the bird yet except the basic assembly of what came with it.

I am going to finish setting and securing all the screws and so forth with Locktite.

Also...the Finless videos are giving me a great education.

As I said before...I am in no hurry since I do not plan on flyingthe Vulcan till next spring...I have a cheap "toy" I can goof around with till then....
Old 10-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Dale_G

ORIGINAL: TEKoosed

Thanks for the info....busy weekend....will try and get to photographing the fiberglass canopy I just received.

I took your advice and ordered the ESC-Castle Creations Phoenix 35 and the Battery/Charger FMA Direct Cellpro 4s charger and Cellpro Revolution 3s 2100mah Li-Po pack.

Still trying to decide on the gyro though I am leaning towards the Logictec 6100t .

I haven't done anything on the bird yet except the basic assembly of what came with it.

I am going to finish setting and securing all the screws and so forth with Locktite.

Also...the Finless videos are giving me a great education.

As I said before...I am in no hurry since I do not plan on flyingthe Vulcan till next spring...I have a cheap "toy" I can goof around with till then....
I just flew off one battery pack hovering on the ground and one pack with my mentor using a trainer cord. He took control quite a few times, but I did make some improvement. Really helps having someone show you how! He would fly it to 20 or 40' off the ground then give control to me for a few seconds, which was all it took for me to get into trouble!

Those Finless Bob vids are great. He deserves an award.

The logictec 6100t is their top of the line. I have a 2100t which is more than adequate, according to my mentor.
You'll love the FMADirect charger. The first time you charge the battery, charge it at 0.5A. I've heard that you'll get a little more battery life if you start out slow. Make sure you follow all the directions on the battery and charger.

Oh, I got one of those FG canopies. Mine is solid blue over white. NICE!

Hey Justin, I got your email, but I don't use MSN. If you want to catch me online I use AIM, username st8capt.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 PM
TEKoosed

Maybe I should look into seeing if there is a local club around....I really don't want to destroy the thing when I get started....

It sounds like it may be a pretty heavy learning curve....hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew...hahahahaha

Do you think I would be going over board with the 6100T....sounds like your mentor thinks the 2100 is fine....
Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Dale_G

ORIGINAL: TEKoosed

Maybe I should look into seeing if there is a local club around....I really don't want to destroy the thing when I get started....

It sounds like it may be a pretty heavy learning curve....hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew...hahahahaha

Do you think I would be going over board with the 6100T....sounds like your mentor thinks the 2100 is fine....
Smart move. Getting some local help will save you lots of frustration and crash kits. I was surprised at how touchy mine was, and I've been flying a coaxial heli. This type of heli just plain responds differently, and more quickly. My mentor has dialed the expo so that control is really slow around the center of the sticks.

I think that for you and me - neither of us is anywhere near 3D - the 2100t is just fine. Heck, "the mentor" told me that a cheap telebee gyro would have been fine for me (but I like to have the best I can afford, probably like yourself)

Unless you're really experienced with RC, you're going to need help setting up the heli and the xmitter.

Oh, and I recommend getting a good set of training gear. Something that's about the size of your rotor disc.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:43 AM
justin castillo

hi everyone my pigeon 450 m1 has arrived i was very happy with the looks and quality this is my first ccpm helicopter i could not wait to get this beast flying so i installed my gyro receiver servos etc.. i took it down to the local park i was very surprised on how nice it hovered
i must say it is very touchy.As normal i had my first crash i bent the bar that holds on the blade grips and also bent the fly tail fin. also make sure all the screws are tight before every flight please let me know how your flights are coming along.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:41 AM
flyerGR

Is there any possibility that this helicopter can take parts from the t-rex se version? I have seen on the net that many parts looks the same on both the helis.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 AM
justin castillo

yes 90% of the parts fit
Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 AM
flyerGR

ORIGINAL: justin castillo

yes 90% of the parts fit
Can you tell which parts please?
I assume that main shaft, tail shaft, boom,feather, flybar will do.Am i right?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Dale_G

ORIGINAL: flyerGR

ORIGINAL: justin castillo

yes 90% of the parts fit
Can you tell which parts please?
I assume that main shaft, tail shaft, boom,feather, flybar will do.Am i right?
Yes - all those parts will work.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:55 PM
kuade
My Feedback: (3)

Dale_G, Thanks for the post on the Vulcan 450SE! This is my first CCMP helicopter, I am in pretty much the same boat as TEKoosed and I even have a cheap fixed pitched heli I got just to play around with. You have given me some great information for setting up my first heli. I searched around the web for days before I came to the decision to get the Vulcan because I don't want to go all out and buy the TREX 450SE for my first Heli. I plan on getting the Spektrum DX6 as well, I really like the 2.4 Ghz spectrum with line of site it should work great. I gave you credit when I registered because I said you "reffered" me. I am unable to start building my heli until February but in the mean time i plan on buying all of the parts i need in the mean time so I will be checking back here a lot for everyones news and opinions.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Dale_G

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 PM
kuade
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks, my heli project is on hold for a couple months because I am out of the country. I wish I could work on it now, but here it is waiting paitently in the box for me. My wife is convinced they are just "toys" I told her to postpone any judgement until it's finished. Do you have any more pictures Dale_G?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88016.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	794102  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.