Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Got wobbly rotor head?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Got wobbly rotor head?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 AM
vega2614

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got wobbly rotor head?

Anybody have problems with their rotor head wobbling on the shaft? I have a Walkera 60 with a metal rotor head upgrade, but I think this problem is applicable to most any CCPM heli, including T-rex.

The metal head has two slits at the base that overlap where the main shaft comes up. A screw goes through at about this area, which when tight, compresses the rotor base with the slits getting smaller, forming a tight fit around the main shaft. However, the screw that came with it sucks as you can't really get it tight without stripping the cross for the philips screwdriver. So the rotor head can rock back and forth on top of the main shaft. This translates to poor blade tracking and the toilet-bowl effect in flight.

Any solutions for this? I'm guessing just getting a new, better screw and nut will probably fix the problem, but until I swing by the hobby shop, I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem too and found a work-around.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:46 AM
bbike

Default RE: Got wobbly rotor head?

setup is every thing with these helis, nothing can be overlooked. Just don't fly and get the scew so its done right. I went last week and pulled apart my copterx and locktite every single nut and bolt, atleast i thought. The bolt for the feathering shaft for the tail rotor came apart in flight and jammed my tail rotor up causing a massive spin. I was lucky this time and had zero damage, but i doubt next time i will be as lucky. I learned that nothing can be overlooked with these and take your time to do things right. I hope you have already learnt this lesson, or else Sorry, cant think of any "quick fix" for that. I would shop around for a complete scew kit that uses hex instead of phillips. I prefer that much more. I know the screws that came on my copterx are cheapies, and im awaiting the scew kit to come.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:44 PM
vega2614

Yeah, I was thinking hex too. They don't seem to strip as easily and you can get them tighter. I was actually able to get the rotor head on pretty tight by adding a washer so that I could get a good grip on the nut with my pliers. I held the screw head in place with the screw driver, and then turned the nut with the pliers. I then locktited it, so there's barely any wobble anymore. The chopper flies a lot better now. I'll have to get the hex screw next time I'm at my LHS.

Sounds like a close call with your chopper.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:15 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a fixed pitch heli with a similar problem. However, the rotor head on mine doesn't mount with a scre but rather with a pin that fits through the stem of the rotor head and through main shaft. I am thinking of trying to fit a sleeve over the shaft but will also fit inside the rotorhead so that there is no slop and the head won't wobble on the shaft. Perhaps out of a hard plastic or possibly aluminum. I you have the ability to fabricate something like that, it may be worth looking into. Let me know if you had any luck with this.

I have a post under the General Helicopters forum with a similar question. If anyone else can help, please let us know!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Shadow99

Drumin_nut,

Is there enough room on the shaft the pin goes thru, to drill it out and thru-bolt it, say with a 1.5mm diameter socket head cap screw then put a washer & nut on the backside, with a dab of Lock-Tite. I had a HM Roto-Fly with a simular issue, and that was the fix I used.

Shadow