Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Ikarus Piccolo (NOT SO) FUN

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Ikarus Piccolo (NOT SO) FUN

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 PM
chopper1one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ikarus Piccolo (NOT SO) FUN

Hi everyone, I have a Ikarus Piccolo FUN that I can not get in the air, a Century Hummingbird V4 I bought on ebay that wont fly. I have also bought a Futaba 6EX 2.4 Ghz Raidio, a Futaba GY401 gyro, E0-flite cp pro battery (800), a thunder power LiPo 2100 7.4V, a venom 3s lipo, and a Ikarus Piccolo PRO kit W/ motors. I listed all that stuff because i would like to know ware to go from here?

I bought the Fun from my local hobby shop and they no longer support it. While he was supporting it, I was trying to learn how to fly it but I could not get more then 3 min's of flight time so I asked my local hobby shop about what I should do and he sold me a heading hold chip. then he said to get lipo's. Well now I have a $149.95 + TAX LiPO charger and a $39.95+TAX ballencer, three different lipo's and no flyable heli. Can any one advise me as to what to do now. Maybe a site that expanse how to set up the pccolo so it will fly? I read some pages on setting up the Nitro Heli's and I got some help there.

The other Heli, the Century Hummingbird V4 came broken and I tried to get parts from Century but they don't sell parts for it any more. So I went to a hobby shop in another town that knew something about electric heli's. They sold the Blade CP PRO and supported it. well to make a long and painful story short some of the blade cp pro parts are interchangeable with the Century Hummingbird. The tail rotor blade is interchangeable with a little modification. Just cut off the standoff and the blade is an even better tail rotor blade then the one from Century. My century Rx is NOT working. Does anyone know were to send it to get it fixed or is there a web site that will explain how to repair them. Mine just blinks green and red and then it says red. Maybe I could use the blade Rx for the Century? any guestimates?

Maybe I should just get rid of it all????? Totally frustrated
Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Druss

Default RE: Ikarus Piccolo (NOT SO) FUN

Don't feel that bad, this is a hard hobby to get started in without advise right from the start. First I don't suggest that new flyers buy used heli's, they are too much work to get into the air when you have little to no knowledge. Right now my inclination is to tell you to get rid of it all (ebay or something) and start with a new heli like the esky honey bee fixed pitch or a co-axial heli. if you want to use that transmitter you got you don't want to get something with a combined receiver/esc/mixer/gyro.

The gy401 is a great gyro and it sounds like you've got some good battery equipment. If you want to use those 7.4v batteries then get a co-axial like the esky lama v4 ($100 shipped) and you'll be flying in no time (can't use your 6EX with it). Then when you're ready get a kit like the esky king2 or belt cp and use your electronics that you have, gyro, radio... etc.

The local hobby shops typically will only support the big names like align, thunder tiger, helimax, eflite... etc. you'll have to order online for esky products.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:03 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The piccolo is a workable FP heli. It does require that you have a good understanding of how to set up a heli.

You are getting 3 minues of flight time? I assume that was on the stopck NiMH batteries? How many cycles have you run them through?
NiMH batteries do not provide full capacity until they have been used some.
What charger are you using on the NiMH packs?

LiPo batteries do offer much greater energy density than NiMH, so that is a good step forward. But it is not an even swap. A 2 cell LiPo pack is going to be slightly lower voltage than the NiMH pack. If you choose a small enough LiPo pack, it should be workable. You might need to go with a pinion that is 1 tooth larger (and reset gear mesh)

Vince
Old 12-20-2007, 08:05 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I recommend that you NOT try to fly with the Piccolo Pro until you have a decent amount of flight time under your belt. The CP mechanics on it are fragile and expensive.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
chopper1one

Thank you for your help, this has been confusing. I've been trying to learn online. The people at the hobby shop just want to sell stuff. I now learned that I did not set the heli up correctly. Is there a general electric heli set up Forum for the 20" FP heli's?[:@][>:] [&o] [8D]

Oh, I recommend that you NOT try to fly with the Piccolo Pro until you have a decent amount of flight time under your belt. The CP mechanics on it are fragile and expensive.
The Futaba radio, Giro, brushless motor, ESC and the Piccolo PRO(CP) are for a build after I learn how to fly the FUN (FP)...

FYI.. I have had some success, I got FMS and built a cord for the GWS radio and modified the radio to connect
to it. It is the best...

You are getting 3 minues of flight time? I assume that was on the stopck NiMH batteries? How many cycles have you run them through?
Flight time I ment floor time and the batteries were new with the heli so maybe 10 or 15 cycles.