Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

How do you DISPOSE of a Lipo pack?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

How do you DISPOSE of a Lipo pack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Shadow99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you DISPOSE of a Lipo pack?

I've got a couple of swollen Mega-Power 15c 3s 1350 mah Lipo packs & I want to dispose of them SAFELY, is there anything that can be done to neutrelize the battery? I discharged them DEAD with a 3v light bulb, but I heard they can still be a hazard, is this true?

Shadow
Old 01-01-2008, 01:19 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How do you DISPOSE of a Lipo pack?

Yes,.... they can... fill a bucket with some water.. mix in salt.. lots of salt..
then soak the battery for overnight... OUTSIDE!

The salt water nuetralizes them...

once done... toss in the bin
Old 01-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Shadow99

Thanks for your response Exeter Acres!

BUT,
It's 22 degrees outside & snowing hard, is there any safety reason while it must be done outside (outgassing?)?
I could do it in my garage, after a start a fire in the stove & wait 3 hrs for it to heat up to the mid 60's.
Is it any kind of salt? Got a good supply of Rock-Salt, don't know how well it dissolves in water though.

Rick
Old 01-01-2008, 01:55 PM
exeter_acres

Hmmmm......rock salt won't dissolve enough I don't think..... just table or kosher is what I have used...

as for the cold...

Hmmm...

I did it once where I started with very warm water and just let it sit out....it took long enough to freeze that the water had done its job...

as for inside... I suppose if you 100% babysat it, it might be OK... I have never had anything happen during this process
(unless I was silly and poked a nail through them!!! Which I do not recommend but it was fun to watch!!!0

but I would hate for the first time to be when you do it........

I have left the bucket in my basement, but I was working in my workshop and I could watch it all day.....
Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Andir

The salt will lower the freezing point of the water (AKA, no freezing) is that's what your worried about.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...5623.Ch.r.html
Old 01-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Shadow99

Thanks Guys, I'll try it tomarrow.

Rick
Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 PM
credence

Salt water only neutralizes a lipo if the interior of the cell is exposed to it. Simply placing the batteries into a bucket of salt water will only corrode and eventually dissolve the tabs on the cells, so that the pack shows 0 volts when in reality nothing has been done to the cell structure and the cells indeed still carry a charge and so are dangerous.

To dispose of a lithium battery all you need to do is apply a small load, such as a light bulb, and allow it to completely drain the battery to 0.0 volts. At this point the pack should no longer pose a fire hazard and so is safe to dispose of. Lipo's are only dangerous when they have a charge. This of course does not mean it's a good idea to just chuck the battery in the garbage as it still contains chemicals and lithium salts. Like any battery, it should not just be chucked in the trash, but this is a moot point now-a days as i'm sure the landfills are full of them anyways.

At any rate, if you really want to neutralize the cells, you first need to fully discharge the battery, you then need to split each cell in the pack so that salt-water may enter it. This will then fully neutralize the cells in the pack. Many suggest draining the pack and then taking a small exacto blade along the sides of the cells to split the aluminum casing to allow the salt water to enter.

Personally, I don't think this is necessary and it's potentially risky, simply draining the packs should be enough to at least make the cells fire-safe and so safe enough to put into the regular garbage. Thermal run-away only happens if there's stored energy. No energy = no fire .
Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 AM
osterizer

ORIGINAL: Shadow99
I've got a couple of swollen Mega-Power ... packs
Many people do (including me).