Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

lithium polymer batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

lithium polymer batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 11:39 PM
sduckett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lithium polymer batteries

First off i fly the smartek skylark. i just purchased a 2cel pac of litium batteris and a orion elite motor from these guys
http://www.helihobby.com/html/piccolo_electronics.html
not only are they nice guys and ship fast.,.. the lithium ion packs are hot!!! and with the upgrade to the orion motor this heli wants to scream.
i had just recently (before getting the upgrades) trashed my blades, but tried to CA them together. well, they dont fly apart but it wouldnt fly either.. it acted like my pack was dea (thats how much drag these things were producing from being out of balance) well, today i installed the motor and litium pack.. and even with the EXTREME out of tracked and out of balance blades.. it was wanting to fly out of my hands!! and that WITH a full airwolf lexan canopy.

so long story short.. throw away the nicads. the litium are awesome.

and they have an afordamble lithium charger available too.

all said and done the motor, charger, and batteries cost me a little over a hundred.. but this little heli is gonna be a LOT more fun to fly, have a LOT more authority and fly longer because the litium pack is 1024mah instead of the old heavy nicad 700mah
Old 04-15-2003, 11:55 PM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

Great news! I am afraid you will find in short order that the Orion motor will toast your Kokam 1020 mah LiPoly's ( you posted Lithium Ion, but based on the capacity later in your post I'm guessing you got the Poly's. Hope that is the case because the Ion's are way overpriced and not even up to the task). Just too much current being drawn. Keep the set-up you have (motor and heli) but be ready to buy either the E-tech 2s 1200mah Lipoly packs or the Kokam 900mah High Output packs (Bishop Power Products, Inc) that are designed to deal with the load your heli is presenting. My Kokam 1020 mah LiPoly packs are only delivering 8-10 minutes (and diminishing) these days on brushed motor airframes in my fleet while the E-tech 1200's consistently yield 25-28 mins of flying on the same helis.

Don't despair, it's still a lot better the NiMh's or NiCads ever hoped to be at a lot less weight.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Old 04-15-2003, 11:57 PM
sduckett

where do you buy your e-tec at??

i have heard of guys getting 45 min flight times with the litium poly
so have you ran the orion before??
Old 04-16-2003, 12:34 AM
Hoverup

E-tech's are available at Helihobby, Dreamhobbies, Deeteeenterprises, Fxaeromodels, BishopPowerProducts and Aircraft World to name a few. You won't find the price varying by more that a $ or two. Yup, had a Orion Elite and retired it for a Hacker B20 31s on a Piccolo Pro.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Old 04-16-2003, 01:08 AM
sduckett

i want brushless eventually.. but the cost is pretty steep.. then when i found the orion it sounded like a good intermediate motor.

i might even mave the e-teck.. maybe i dont... hmm

i will have to find out
Old 04-16-2003, 01:11 AM
sduckett

y are the e-tek better??
i know i have 1 kokam pack.. but may have 1 e-tek 2??

hmm.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:21 AM
rotortiller

Default E-tech 1200's on stock Hummingbird??

Can you use the E-tech 1200's on the stock Hummingbird motors and mixer and not fry anything?

If not what is the correct sized Li-Poly and brand that would match a stock setup?

When you buy Li-Polys from Helihobby They list:

"Lithium Cells 4.2V 1020mAh,
All Micro Helis

This Lithium Polymer pack will truly make your Micro Heli go ballistic. A 4.2V Lithium cell will deliver much more power while reducing the overall weight.

The Lithium cells are available in one, two or three cell configuration" and else where:
... "The two cell Kokam 1020 pack is similar in power to a 7 cell 300 mah nimh pack"

Do you just buy the 2 cell configuration for a stock Hummingbird?
The stock Hummingbird battery is just 6 cell 8.4 volt 600mah.
The 2 cell li-poly would be 8.4 volt, sounds like a match?

How do you know whether to use:
E-tech 2s 1200mah Lipoly packs,
Kokam 900mah High Output packs, or
Kokam 1020 mah packs?

Which is best for stock motors?

I already have a Triton charger to charge with, but I want to make sure I get the correct batteries.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:26 AM
Hoverup

Default Re: E-tech 1200's on stock Hummingbird??

Originally posted by rotortiller
Can you use the E-tech 1200's on the stock Hummingbird motors and mixer and not fry anything? Yes

If not what is the correct sized Li-Poly and brand that would match a stock setup?

When you buy Li-Polys from Helihobby They list:
look to the right side of this page. The descriptive text applies to the Kokams and not to the 1200mah E-tech's

"Lithium Cells 4.2V 1020mAh,
All Micro Helis

This Lithium Polymer pack will truly make your Micro Heli go ballistic. A 4.2V Lithium cell will deliver much more power while reducing the overall weight.

The Lithium cells are available in one, two or three cell configuration" and else where:
... "The two cell Kokam 1020 pack is similar in power to a 7 cell 300 mah nimh pack"

Do you just buy the 2 cell configuration for a stock Hummingbird?
Yes
The stock Hummingbird battery is just 6 cell 8.4 volt 600mah.
The 2 cell li-poly would be 8.4 volt, sounds like a match?
Yes

How do you know whether to use:
E-tech 2s 1200mah Lipoly packs,
Best value
Kokam 900mah High Output packs,
Also good or
Kokam 1020 mah packs?
not as desireable

Which is best for stock motors?
All are OK. The E-tech's your best bet.

I already have a Triton charger to charge with, but I want to make sure I get the correct batteries.
Good charger!

Thanks.
Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Old 04-16-2003, 04:33 AM
sultan68

Default LiPoly on stock motor

Actually, Sean at HeliHobby told me I needed the 4cell E-Tech (2S/2P, that's 2 serial, 2 parallel) because of the massive current draw of the stock motor??? I can barely get the HB out of ground effect here in Denver with the 4 cell pack but with the 2cell E-Tech it flies for a good 20 minutes!

Any comments?

Chris
AMA 769606
Old 04-16-2003, 05:57 AM
moos4bkfst
My Feedback: (2)

www.nwhobbies.com has the etechs instock too.... just for those who want them
Old 04-16-2003, 07:46 AM
Hoverup

Default Re: LiPoly on stock motor

Originally posted by sultan68
Actually, Sean at HeliHobby told me I needed the 4cell E-Tech (2S/2P, that's 2 serial, 2 parallel) because of the massive current draw of the stock motor??? I can barely get the HB out of ground effect here in Denver with the 4 cell pack but with the 2cell E-Tech it flies for a good 20 minutes!

Any comments?
A 2s pack delivers 25-28 minutes for me here at Sea level(Gulf of Mexico level anyway) with a stock HummingBird. 2S2P's do cost more anyway ???

Chris
AMA 769606