Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hirobo SRB Quark Forum: Photos Q&A

Hey Pilots!

I tough I starterd this forum hoping it will become a good center of information well i just got the Hirobo SRB Quark, got it from a shop in Canada, and IT'S AMAZING how this machine flys. I had to experience the ordeal of buying frustration machines instead of flying machines (aka chinnes ... JUNK!) But I guess that is how one learns, hour's and hour's of setting up and almost no flying time, absolute frustration.

Now for the first time I charge the battery, laminated the main blades (if you have the XRB you know what I mean if not, go to http://www.rickyblazerc.com/), as you can see in the photos, with the actual problem that they wont fit in the balancer! So I had to improvise. Not even bother to find a training kit I turn it on and lift off! I still can't get over it, I paid more than $4OO for mine, no problem at all, super satisfaction!

Two suggestions and one question:
    1. Most definitively laminate your blades, this way they will stand trough ligth crashes so you keep flying and not going to the shop buying blades, balancing and then doing it again (specially if you are a beginner like me). The one piece blade is a little tricky unlike the main blades but do it patching together small pieces of tape, be sure to folow the curve so it keeps it's pitch and it flys like magic.
    2. The battery holder is a little unsteady (don't want to say cheap but it does not compare to the rest of the parts) in mine the battery slided a little fwd and back, so I tape a little square of female Velcro and now the battery is firmly in one position (see photo).
    3. I will write to Hirobo about the blade balancer, it seems that is the same as the one for the XRB, but the new blades ring is to small and the blade mount wont go trough it. Any Suggestions anyone?

I also have a Hirobo XRB Shuttle, that actually is the reason that keept me in the hobby after my bad chinuas experiences. I learn to fly square 0 with this magnificent little heli and it still flys like new! (see the photo)

Happy flying!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30591.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	892174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xt60392.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	892175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx61319.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	892176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cv61393.jpg 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	892177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ju13736.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	892178  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iz38157.jpg 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	892179  
    Forty something and still playing with toy cars :@)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hirobo SRB Quark Forum: Photos Q&A

I'm waiting on them to become available in bigger quantity. Having a heck of a time trying to even get a distributor to get ONE in to any hobby shop in Upstate NY.
    BOYCOTT BANANA HOBBY. Ripoff artist Pete is a scammer with no backbone. Don\'\'t believe lies of \"lifetime customer support\".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good post, HeliYogi

I have JR PCM9X bought in Singapore (manufactured in Japan) - 72 Mhz, 40.830

I'm in the USA on vacation + want to buy a SRB Quark without the supplied transmiterfrom an online store.

I'm told I need a "GWS-type" microcrystal in order to use my transmitter with the Quark.

The vendor wants to know what channel my radio is on - I have no idea.

Where can I find this info?

Thanks for your attention.

Konrad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ask the vendor if they have your channel frequency( 72 Mhz, 40.830) for the helicopter micro crystal. This way you can operate the helicopter with your JR transmitter. If they don't have that micro crystal/frequency I recommend you by a set of crystals one for your transmitter and another for the Quark receiver.
    If you have a problem call MRC (Hirobo USA distributor) ask for David, Phone: 1-732-225-2100

Good Luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've flown quite a few different Helis. I stress out about flying the big expensive machines, and am not challenged enough by the Dual rotor ones. I found the E-flite and Axe CPs to be too touchy for my likes.

Months ago, I saw a picture of a new product coming from HIROBO.

SRB (Single Rotor Blade) Quark Helicopter.

I oohhh and ahhhhhed and went oooowwwwww! when I saw the price.

At three times the price of anything in its size and capability range (other than some of the smaller companies specialty helis) I was hessitant to get one worying it would just be an overpriced P.O.S.

If ever I can be quoted as saying "You get what you pay for", here and now is the example.

THIS HELI IS AWESOME!

Stable flight, responsive, and built strong as a tank and really fine quality components.

Battery, motors, gyro, and TX/RX have been flawless and at just over 10 flights, all I have managed to do is destroy 2 sets of foam blades due to pilot error and smacking a tree branch outside.

If anyone else has one, or is thinking about getting one, DO IT, and Post about it.

It is a heli that requires ZERO UPGRADES to be absolutely a "Fly out of the box" piece of perfection.

But there needs to be more of us to get this thing into the after markets guys minds for parts and hop ups. Ive seen there is people swapping out for larger mAh batteries and a company makes Carbon Fiber blades for it already, but I'm sure there is far more that can be done. Perhaps even a CCMP version?

THAT would kick as s!

Seriously this heli is so nice, I sold my other brands and am only flying the Quark.

I had a friend visiting in Japan, but he couldn't find me an AIRWOLF version, so I got the stock one. Definately looking forward to tryig to find scale bodies for this bird !
    BOYCOTT BANANA HOBBY. Ripoff artist Pete is a scammer with no backbone. Don\'\'t believe lies of \"lifetime customer support\".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Dave!

Agree on all you wrote, here are some more points in favor of the Quark and to understand what the price really represents when it comes to actual flying time.

1. Flying is expensive, if you consider the time actually spend on the air as a result of the cost of machine, parts, time spent in repairs, set up... etc. then you could calculate your cost β€œper flying minute”. Here is my take:

A) Chinese β€œbargain priced” helis (E-sky, Walkera… etc) are extremely high cost per minute to fly simply because you rarely get to it, some moments up and bam! Crash and broken parts $$$-back to the repair table.

B) Good quality more expensive machines like: Aling, JR and even the big Hirobos are actually less expensive to fly because they get more time up in the air, although rarely will you walk away from a crash or harsh landing without something broken (at least the servos mechanics) and that means $$$ and back to the set up table.

C) I paid $319.00 for my second Quark, shipment included (Rick at Heliproz.com will sell you one) no TX. I am much better than some months ago but still I crash soft or have bad landings around 40% of the time, yet at most I break the foam blades. Five minutes and around $4.70 (per set) of main blades later, I am up in the air and…

D) Because I can fly indoors (ups! there goes categories β€œA” and β€œB”) I fly every day, no need to transport myself even to the backyard which I could do because unlike the limited coaxial (I still have two) this one fly’s in and out and it’s fast! Triple the fun of a coaxial.

2. - If you think in terms of β€œcost per minute of flying” maybe the cheapest of all RC helicopters is the Quark. I hope, as Dave, that this rationale helps other pilots decide to go for one, and yes maybe get Hirobo or the aftermarket to design more stuff for it, perhaps a scale fuselage?

Meanwhile I am painting mine yellow; will upload photos when it’s done!

See lots of Quarks (and mine) flying at youtube.com (simply search for Hirobo Quark or SRB)

Be well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I strongly agree with you guys. In fact, The Quark is the first heli I was able to fly and land (not crash).

When I decided to quit this hobby 2 years ago (out of frustration), my total flight time for the 4 previous helis I've owned was no more than 10 minutes. OK, it's my fault...I was a beginner and still a beginner. But I could have bought at least 3 Quarks for the money I've spent there (that includes parts and accessories).

My total flight time with the Quark is more than an hour already since I got it last week. I've crashed it several times but the only parts I had to replace so far were the rotor blades. And since those parts came with the Quark, I never had to order them and wait for days before I could fix it. Can you guys name any other beginner helis as cost-effective and fun to fly as the Quark?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mediclavina

I strongly agree with you guys. In fact, The Quark is the first heli I was able to fly and land (not crash).

When I decided to quit this hobby 2 years ago (out of frustration), my total flight time for the 4 previous helis I've owned was no more than 10 minutes. OK, it's my fault...I was a beginner and still a beginner. But I could have bought at least 3 Quarks for the money I've spent there (that includes parts and accessories).

My total flight time with the Quark is more than an hour already since I got it last week. I've crashed it several times but the only parts I had to replace so far were the rotor blades. And since those parts came with the Quark, I never had to order them and wait for days before I could fix it. Can you guys name any other beginner helis as cost-effective and fun to fly as the Quark?
    Not out there. Thunder Tiger has unveeild a very close concept call Innovator (I wonder why the name because it looks like the same principal as the Quark, integrated electronics, two motors...) The scale version looks nice MD-530. Maybe more outdoors than in?
    Check it out: http://www.acehobby.com/ace/raptor_El.htm
    So far the problem for me is that maybe the RTF has to come with a 2.4 GHZ TX/RX (I fly my Quark with a JR 6102), will see.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ups! Actually the innovator is a bigger Heli, CCPM and only 1 motor see it flying in you tube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=60rdTzlJ5Vo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The T.T. is a 400 sized heli.

I just came in from doing my 15th flight on my Quark.

It was an awesome flight Lots of nose in turns and kick turns using the pendullum nature that theis heli has with its "stops" as it changes speeds, it almost WANTS to fly "nose down in FF" all the time.

I think now that I have a good handle on how it responds in stock form, I'm going to up the ante and order a set of the aftermarket Carbon Fiber Blades I found, or I'm going to adjust the settings to "Arvanced" and really wake this bird up.

I kinda felt the same way about the STICKER SHOCK! but I realised after I flew it a few times that it was worth every penny.

I got mine for 350.00 I added a spare Thunderpower battery and a spare box of blades and it totaled 400.00 with shipping.

PEOPLE ! LOOK : [X(] You are not just stuck with the STOCK battery. Remove the hatch, and afix velcro, and you can use other batteries.

I have a 750 mAh lipo that is aftermarket, and works great with it. I get upwards of almost 14+ minute flight times. It actualy is lighter in weight than the stock battery and has longer run time.

Blik from RunRuner said this :
    Thunder Power RC Pro Lite 730mAh 7.4V 2 Cell LiPO that fits perfect in the Quark. To start you have to order the connectors which you can find the info here: http://runryder.com/helicopter/t443752p1/

Once you get the parts the only tough thing is to install the small connectors. I have a crimping tool to make servo wire ends and it also worked on this project, which made the job very easy. http://www.hansenhobbies.com/produc...tools/crimp_dx/

Step 1: Purchase the correct connectors.
    2: Carefully strip the positive wire on the Lipo.
    3: Crimp or solder the female contact(WM1837-ND) on the positive wire.
    3: Install the soldered/crimped contact into the(WM1845-ND) connector.
    4: Repeat for the negative Lipo wire but be very very careful not to touch the positive and negative Lipo wires together!!!

5: Make a charging cable to plug into most Lipo chargers.
    WM1850-ND connector for charging cable.
    WM1841-ND male contacts for the charging cable connector.
    2 - male bullet connectors or what ever connectors your Lipo charger requires.

6: Charge the new TP lipo and enjoy flying the Quark for 3-5 extra minutes.

Cheers
    Blik

You can also get them with all the connectors on them from Greg Mitchel.
    rgauctionpost@yahoo.com is his email. I believe I paid 29.00 for the TP battery and it has a ballance charger plug as well.

There is 2 settings for "responsiveness". you can make adjustments to this heli and it really comes alive is is very responsive. Out of the box, it is stable and still flies great, but once you mess with the settings (Hirobo instructions are good at explaining how) its a new animal altogether.

Also there are carbonfiber blades available from www.jutstar.com but at 55.00 a set, Applying packing tape to the foam blades works just fine for me. Considering the only thing I have even had to buy for this heli is replacement foam blades at 8 blades for 20.00.......... Its far cheaper than my CP ever was.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

About the "INNOVATOR" from Thunder Tiger its not leaving a good taste in my mouth way to proprietary. The Quark sure its propietary but ask yourself this: With foam blades what can you break in a crash...? It only weighs 6oz's for God sakes. Not enough weight to even destroy itself on impact. Hirob quality bar none. Better than any other FP on the market by far nothing even comes close. So to the "QUARK" all around excellent quality and the best IMO FP there is. I gladly pay the $359.99 (heliproz) for one and buy an extra stock battery. Charge fly...repeat...less time fiddling and more time flying.
    \"If it ain\'\'t broke, don\'\'t fix it, and go fly it again\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DOug, I'm 32 years old and was way into RC at the age of 8.

EIGHT.

that was in the hayday of plastic and swing-arm speed controls and "Dirt-dogs" and "pavement pounders". I still run a NOVAK T-1X ESC in my "race" pan car and I do 72 MPH with it in a tri-oval. People are amazed a BOLINK car still exist, AND WINS, but its about QUALITY.

Same as with a heli.

I just got my Quark lastmonth, and can already say I have surpassed the 11 hours of flights mark, and have only 32.00 worth of "foam blades" into it as "crash/cost".

I sold my CP, and I wholeheartedly agree the CX is a nice flying heli (the first version, not the CX2).

There is so much "gypsy" companies and Knock-offs out there, I oly wonder how long it will take till we see a QUARK KO.

Don't get me wrong, I've flown my share of T-rex and larger helis, and even a Kyosho CONCEPT.60 from back in the early 1990s, and am fairly astute with my piloting skills, but WE ALL CRASH.

I just like crashing and not seeing an entire paycheck dissapear aswell as 3 weeks DOWN-TIME worth of rebuilding, measuring, and ballancing everything to get back to a "flyable"state. let alone "trimmed out".

QUARK= Turn it on, start it up, fly 12 min, and charge and do it again.

Its bliss, an dpurely ENJOYABLE. A super stable micro-platform and consisent flights every time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well said I couldnt agree more.
    \"If it ain\'\'t broke, don\'\'t fix it, and go fly it again\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it's *UNFAIR* to other heli flyers that only a few of us seem to enjoy more flying and getting less time fixing and less spending of money on crashes. All beginners and less skilled flyers should know how good the Quark is. Its price tag is actually a bargain for what you get compared to any other helis out there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The brotherhood of the Quark it is!

Ok, here is my flying review. I logged around 100+ Hrs on the Quark (got the first one almost two months before it was sold in the US).

This is the first non coaxial heli that I flown (and that actually flew) my first bird was the Hirobo Shuttle XRB which is a basically a flying marvel-tank. I still have it and most likely I have replaced 80% of the original parts including one of the main masts and a motor which actually MRC did it at no cost! So now to the point:

1. MRC Hirobo’s USA distributor (http://www.modelrectifier.com) first class pout-purchase service. Thanks Daniel!

This is what has happened mechanically with the Quark, buy the way I crash more than not!

2. Regarding blade laminating: I have to say (contradicting myself forn the first poust) that laminating the blades has a different effect in the SRB than in the XRB.

A) The main configuration gets affected by the laminating, as the blades become heavier it changes the RPM, also this is very clear as you have to readjust the tracking when using laminated blades.
    For me it actually fly’s better without the lamination (turns, response, all around) and of course after a good crash I have experience more part damage when using laminated than with the non laminated blades. Especially on the main gear which I had to replace twice.

However using only non laminated blades brings my cost up $$$ as I can’t reduce my crash quota. I ruin a pair of blades (non laminated) at least every 3 flights (laminated I can get 12+ flights’)

Solution? Do both! When I’m flying out of the balcony (which is in the 15th floor ) I use non laminated and WOW it’s FAST . When inside the house (and the challenge is to land on top of the TV set and go pirouette underneath the table [:-], I go laminated.

…. to be continued

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm messing around and may have accidently mounted a Blade CX canopy and Tail section on my SRB...............

[X(] may have..

Pix l8r if it flies good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am looking for one were is the best place to buy one? Looking for the best price..

Thanks,
    Angelo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ES, I got my through Greg directly.

Here is his e-bay link.

http://myworld.ebay.com/885greg&ssPa...MEFSX:SELLERID

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Dave I got one from Greg on ebay! I also got 8 extra main blades & 4 tail blades and all the tools wit two extra battrys for $397! That seems like a good deal. Thanks for the info and your help. I will be Quarking around the house soon... He he..

Thanks,
    Angelo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you are welcome

Its a lot of fun outside too, and after you get good with it, adjust teh settings to the "advanced". Its a whole entirely new heli past the "Stock" (SAFE) settings LOL.

I'm at flight # 20+ on mine and its been to hell and back, and still flies as good as day one perfectly and straight as an arrow.

If Hirobo Makes a CCMP one that does 3D based on this airframe, I am DEFINATELY buying one!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I must say better blades are needed for this little heli. Any one know were to get hard plastic or carbon blades for this heli?

Thanks,
    Angelo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: esmoglo

I must say better blades are needed for this little heli. Any one know were to get hard plastic or carbon blades for this heli?

Thanks,
    Angelo
    Hello Angelo, the best way to go is to laminate your blades with tape, here is how: http://www.rickyblazerc.com/
    This guide was made for the coaxial foam blades but works just as good for the Quark.
    I don't laminate the tail rotor because it makes it harder on the tail engine to control.
    I wold stay away form Carbon blades or plastic, this will damage your property and the machine handling as well as brake more parts in the event of crashing (and we all do!).

Happy flying!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo39297.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	1073844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj26410.jpg 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	1073845  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys I am looking at picking up one of these from my LHS. I am going to get the version without the radio and run my Futaba on it.

I have been flying off and on for about 15 years now and have a nice collection of helis to prove it including a Bergin Gasser, a handful of MA X-Cells, some Kyosho Nexus's, and three t-rex's. Unfortunately my flying skills do not represent my experience. Hovering and flight is no problem and I have entered the realm of nose in flight. I have been practicing on the T-Rex's but the crashes are becoming a PITA.

This brings me to the Quark. Looks like the perfect trainer for what I am trying to do with it. Sounds like you guys have had good experience with it. Anything I should know before dropping the ol CC?

Thanks in advance
    Owner and Operator of Baja Skunkworks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its worth every cent.

Be sure to get a box of spare tail rotors. It comes with extra main blades, but a spare box is nice to have too.

Report back on how it goes. I've not had any experience with a RXR version, but I can say the factory radio is perfectly fine by me and Ive only had one glitch ever, but I think it was a battery power issue not TX/RX communication issue.

The instructions are very good on how to set up a radio of your choice, so have at it !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Welcome Arnold!
    Dave is correct, the over all experience is highly satisfying.
    I got my second one with out TX / got it from Heliproz (Rick will take care of you) paid $319.00 (free ground shipment)
    http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=302915
    I agree with Dave get at least one more box of tail and main rotors (save $ on shipment) you will be using much more than that.
    I have flown mine with a JR XP6102. The settings indicated in the manual are surprisingly wrong, the JR worked with the Sanwa switch seatings, but it was easy to figure it out since there are only tree switches to play with (on or off) so if the indicated Futaba settings in the manual don't work fell free to try the rest.
    I suggest you laminate your main blades (and not the tail) here is how:
    http://www.rickyblazerc.com/
    I promise one of this days I will post the guide for the Quark blades (already took the photos)
    It flys well laminated, the blades will take a prety good beating before you have to replaece them.
    However be aware that you still have to replace them, if you can't hover almoust effortlessly in a fix position (very little correction input) then its time to check blades, main ball connectors, RPM seting, traking and main rotor/stabilizer alignment-say maybe five minutes? Compare the same proceadure time wise to any Trex [X(]
    Let us know how u are doing...
    Have fun and welcome to the brotherhood of the Quark!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast