Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Skylark Beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Skylark Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 04:27 AM
hughes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skylark Beginner

Dear All,

Does anyone know how to make this small heli stable in the air?
Mine goes left in the air with forwarding to 10 o'clock direction and crash to the ground.

I have already trim the swash plate portion. Make it as parellel to the ground as I can.

I suspect the battery position is not right, any suggestion?

As I am new in getting a heli to stay in the air, I wonder is my concept correct or not - when pull up the throttle, the heli should lift up and stay stably in the air without other motion need with the transmitter's stick.

Thanks for help in advance.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:49 AM
jeffs555

Default Skylark Beginner

Andy,
Your concept of these helicopters is not correct. They are inherantly unstable, and require constant control input to hover in one position. When they are close to the ground, they are even more unstable. Several feet above the ground they become more stable, but still won't hover more than a couple seconds without control inputs.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2003, 10:12 AM
Dodgey99

Default Skylark Beginner

2 things.

1. The swash plate sould be level with the air frame under it, not the gound.

2. Go here..... It's a fantastic tutorial . flight school, for larger electrics, but the same principles apply (although the smaller heli will be far more twitchy) .. http://www.dream-models.com/h/index.html
Old 05-05-2003, 01:48 AM
hughes

Default Skylark Beginner

Thanks Jeff and Dodgey, can you tell me should I mount the battery close to the head of the heli or under the motor to get more stable?

Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:11 AM
Dodgey99

Default Skylark Beginner

The battery will usually end up right at the front. The trick is this:

Turn the rotors so they run parallel with the heli (i.e. forwards and backwards) then gently hold the heli by the flybard (so it rocks freely on your fingers). Adjust the battery position so the heli is SLIGHTLY nose heavy. The skids should tilt forwards a small amount. (only a small amount).

That's it!
Old 05-07-2003, 04:00 AM
hughes

Default Skylark Beginner

Thanks, but last night my skylark tail motor's end cap was loosen when it hitted against the wall, any suggestion for replacement?

How about GWS-B2C?

Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:27 AM
LTEDT

Default Skylark Beginner

Well first off this is what i did with my PiccoLark. I grabbed the heli by the rotor head as close to the center (like hanging it from a string)
and balanced it that way moving the battery farther forward. That seemed to work really well with the balancing of it. it was more stable once i did that.
Matt
Old 05-07-2003, 04:30 AM
LTEDT

Default Skylark Beginner

Oh about a tail motor I ordered the Pic Pro motor and it does have alot more authority when flying its like a dream come true it works really well so far its only been a week but thats longer than the cheap small motors ive bought (three in as many weeks)they just burn really fast when punished!
Matt
Old 05-07-2003, 05:17 AM
hughes

Default Skylark Beginner

Thanks Matt, but could the original Skylark ESC handle this motor without problem? BTW, do you know what is the nominal voltage for the tail motor?

Good day and Good fly
Old 05-07-2003, 08:45 PM
LTEDT

Default Skylark Beginner

About the esc on the skylark board ( I guess i would it is a copy of the piccoboard) but i had to change my board when my Sklylark tail motor went bad it somehow messed the board in the process. I replaced mine with a piccoboard. And nominal voltage not sure but it is the same as the reg tail motors. But look that up with someone who is sure.