Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE - NEEDS HELP CHOOSING 1st COPTER

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

NEWBIE - NEEDS HELP CHOOSING 1st COPTER

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
hackit2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE - NEEDS HELP CHOOSING 1st COPTER

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum, and to this hobby. I want to purchase my first heli. I want to start out with a small, electric, RTF (NO KITS). I prefer a heli with Good Parts Availability, I'm sure I'll need PLENTY! I like the idea of the 2.4 ghz systems. I'm torn between two: E-Flite Blade CX2 & E-Sky Lama V4-2.4G. They're about $ 40-60 difference between the two. That's ALOT pf extra blades and upgrades! I'm open to suggestions to any others out there, and where the best place to buy it would be appreciated. What do you guys (& gals) think? Thanks for looking and your time! hackit2
Old 07-18-2008, 04:30 PM
stanza

Default RE: NEWBIE - NEEDS HELP CHOOSING 1st COPTER

This is a really tough question to answer because everyone has such a different opinion on the matter. I remember when I was a newcomer to model aviation I suffered a lot of disappointment from choosing the wrong models, and buying what looked cool for a cool price. When it comes to model helicopters, it is no different. If you buy a collective pitch heli, the first thing you are likely to do is fire it up only to have it smacking the ground seconds later. While you will probably get bored with it quick, my highest recommendation is to purchase a coaxial (two contra-rotating blades) type helicopter. They are inherently stable, and you can learn many of the reflexes of controlling a flying machine in 3d space. A model I would recommend is the Lama V4 (or similar) helicopters. You'll have a ton of fun and minimal chance of disappointment. Of course, coaxial machines can't do the fancier aerobatic maneuvers, like loops, rolls, or flying inverted. And they can be blown away by relatively low wind, so they are only suitable for windless or indoor flying. In my case, I opened a collective pitch RTF heli on christmas morning, and by lunchtime I had already messed it up good. It took a full two weeks, many repair parts, and the patience of a saint just to learn to hover that thing (single rotor machines are not near as stable). I can't say I had much fun with it in the beginning, so I would have followed my own advice and started with a coaxial model if I was starting all over again. The single rotor helicopter always has the tendency to roll off in one direction, and if the pilot does not respond quickly with a counter input, a crash quickly results. Loss of orientation when the model is at various positions out in front of you is the biggest reason for a crash.

So try a coaxial model first, and then once you get really good at it, then move up to the collective pitch models. There's my $.02 worth on how to get started.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:55 PM
noobflyer01

my friend had a cx2 and let me fly it. very stable bird. i would however get the 2.4 lama if i had to choose between the two. its alot cheaper but local support might not be there. good thing in florida is that they carry everything.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Druss

most of the parts from the original cx will fit the lama v4, just the frame and body are different
Old 07-20-2008, 03:06 PM
ACDRCD

GET A CX2! they are stronger, more stable, it has a spektrum transmitter, and you can get much more support.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:01 PM
noobflyer01

why not get the honeybee fixed pitch? only 99 bucks and its a single rotor heli. it will prepare you for collective pitch helis.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: ACDRCD

GET A CX2! they are stronger, more stable, it has a spektrum transmitter, and you can get much more support.
how are they stronger and more stable? have you ever flown both?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Skarn

Of the 2, I'd have to say get the Llama since it is cheaper. Both are decent 2.4 coaxial heli's!

Skarn
Old 07-23-2008, 01:51 AM
Friday_2006

Hi !

Hmmm...! 2 months ago i was at your place. I was wondering what should i buy as a first heli. Heard a lot of thoughts and opinions. I ended up with a mini titan.

Now after 2 months i see that i made the best possible choice. And that is why

when you get to start flying helis there won't be a drop back. Only forward. As you are going through the learning process you ll want to buy a better heli and then a bigger heli. Its inevitable. This will make you end up spending lots and lots of money buying new models. You can save some by going to the real helis from the beginning (Real helis = eccpm)

When i got into the hobby i didn't have the slightest idea of how to fly a heli or what are the principles of flying a heli. I was a complete noob. I was only flying airplanes for a while. I bought a kit, build it, set it up, had it checked by a pro and started to learn how to fly. Unfortunately by myself. I had it crashed 3 times in a row. Then i put the training kit !!! . Went out and started making smooth moves trying to get the feeling without having it on air but light on the skids. The rest came with practising. It is not obligatory that you ll crash though it is possible. Have someone pro to fly it for you first time and show you how to fly. Then take the sticks and go for it.

Just be carefull as in the first times you won't know what to expect and that could cause an accident.

Go for eccpm. Mini Titan - Trex 450 and other 450 class helis are the best choice for someone entering the hobby. You ll won't regret it.

Don't spend money on having 3 models before you see that in a month you are in need of a real helicopter. You ll made it fly 450 class. Sim willl help also.

just my 2cents

Old 08-01-2008, 04:15 PM
greygoose
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Friday_2006

Hi !

Hmmm...! 2 months ago i was at your place. I was wondering what should i buy as a first heli. Heard a lot of thoughts and opinions. I ended up with a mini titan.

Now after 2 months i see that i made the best possible choice. And that is why

when you get to start flying helis there won't be a drop back. Only forward. As you are going through the learning process you ll want to buy a better heli and then a bigger heli. Its inevitable. This will make you end up spending lots and lots of money buying new models. You can save some by going to the real helis from the beginning (Real helis = eccpm)

When i got into the hobby i didn't have the slightest idea of how to fly a heli or what are the principles of flying a heli. I was a complete noob. I was only flying airplanes for a while. I bought a kit, build it, set it up, had it checked by a pro and started to learn how to fly. Unfortunately by myself. I had it crashed 3 times in a row. Then i put the training kit !!! . Went out and started making smooth moves trying to get the feeling without having it on air but light on the skids. The rest came with practising. It is not obligatory that you ll crash though it is possible. Have someone pro to fly it for you first time and show you how to fly. Then take the sticks and go for it.

Just be carefull as in the first times you won't know what to expect and that could cause an accident.

Go for eccpm. Mini Titan - Trex 450 and other 450 class helis are the best choice for someone entering the hobby. You ll won't regret it.

Don't spend money on having 3 models before you see that in a month you are in need of a real helicopter. You ll made it fly 450 class. Sim willl help also.

just my 2cents

I agree.Go through Radds school on the net,and enjoy.See the thread right below this one and pick up a Blackhawk 450.It has a belt driven tail and all you will need to have a great learner heli-much more stable than the small helis.And no tail motor to keep replacing.I wish I would have learned with a 450 instead of the small ones-I would have saved allot of money.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 AM
CATPart

Your 1st heli should be Real Flight G4. Honestly, learn to fly in a simulator first. You will be very happy when you don't crash your 1st real heli. Also you can skip the step of a slow and boring coax heli which is really just an office toy. After learning in the simulator you should just go get a collective pitch heli and you will be fine with it. You will save money in the long run because you wil not have wasted money on helis you will get bored with, and you will crash less.