Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ikarus 310 motor in a Hummingbird?

I'm going brushless (AF010) in my FP piccolo and will soon have an unused 310 tuning motor sitting around. I was wondering if I could use it to replace the stock motor in my hummingbird. I don't like how hot that thing gets after just a minute or two of flight.

I know some folks are successfully using speed 280s and 300s in their hummers. Any thoughts on a pinion count to try? The main gear is a lot larger on the hummingbird compared to the piccolo, so I'm not sure if it'll fly (or if it would be an improvement over the stock motor). Think it will it fry the hummingboard mixer, or is it worth a shot? (I'm not flying my hummer as much my pic these days, so I'm more inclined to experiment )

--Chris

barlby,selby,united kingdom, UNITED KINGDOM
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

get a multimeter and check the current drawn on 310 on piccollo then check stock motor current on humm,if not too different then give it a shot(multimeter=40 quid,new board more quid!!)
    i wandered lonely as a cloud.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it would work but I would not use the 310 in a humingbird. The hummingbirds blades spin in the opposite direction of the Piccolos blades. Although a simple answer may be to just reverse the wires this is not a smart idea because the brushes in these motors are made for the motor to spin in the direction it was supposed to spin (piccolos way) and running it the other way would probably not be to good for the brushes although you would not be able to notice the wear on your brushes would be more intense and could possibly decrease the life of your motor.

ZIZI

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it would work but I would not use the 310 in a humingbird. The hummingbirds blades spin in the opposite direction of the Piccolos blades.
    Actually - they both spin the same direction, but it's definitely not a plug and go replacement. I tried it with both a 9 tooth and 10 tooth pinion and was able to hover, but not get out of ground effect. I think it may require a larger pinion (like 12 tooth) to really work. On the up-side, the motor was barely warm after several minutes, so I may give it another shot if I can get a hold of a larger pinion.

--Chris